Planning first engine build, need help

-
Like RRR said, black smoke = too rich.

Blue smoke = burning oil, which points to bad rings or bad valve guides.

Listen to this man, he knows his ****. He might come off as a bit of an A-hole but he will steer you in the right direction.

At least until we get to the points vs electronics debate. ;)

LOL

Like RRR said, black smoke = too rich.

Blue smoke = burning oil, which points to bad rings or bad valve guides.

Listen to this man, he knows his ****. He might come off as a bit of an A-hole but he will steer you in the right direction.

At least until we get to the points vs electronics debate. ;)

Funny you say that. Wait till you see my latest points project.

You don’t need a machine shop you need a carburetor shop!

how much manifold vacuum does it have at idle speed?

southern cal is a big place, find a hot rod shop that can rebuild and tune your carburetor. They will gladly take your $800

Rusty sounds spot on. I would take his advice . Even if you rebuilt your motor you still have to know how to tune it. I would exhaust all options 1st.
No ones mad at you. Just what your thinking lol. You already talked your self into a rebuild.
Oh, and we all like pictures .

I just got a slant 6 rebuilt, cost me about $2,500 or so. That’s labor, machining, gaskets, cam, pistons, etc.

I just got a slant 6 rebuilt, cost me about $2,500 or so. That’s labor, machining, gaskets, cam, pistons, etc.
I said that about 10 posts ago it would cost some about $2,500...
one thing people need to keep in mind is he already said this was rebuilt by the previous owner and a ton of money. That it had 10 to 1 compression and an aftermarket cam. So it could idle kind of rough and that is how it's supposed to run. Has anybody mentioned that the slant sixes love to get a valve adjustment....

I said that about 10 posts ago it would cost some about $2,500...
one thing people need to keep in mind is he already said this was rebuilt by the previous owner and a ton of money. That it had 10 to 1 compression and an aftermarket cam. So it could idle kind of rough and that is how it's supposed to run. Has anybody mentioned that the slant sixes love to get a valve adjustment....

if it’s already been rebuilt it could cost him a lot less. Mine was out of a 77 and had never been rebuilt.

if it’s already been rebuilt it could cost him a lot less. Mine was out of a 77 and had never been rebuilt.
LOL have him take it to the machine shop and see if they don't find something LOL... If it's going to be reboard it's going to need new Pistons and then new rings and then you might as well turn the crank LOL and so on and so on...

Black smoke - too rich.
White smoke in the morning - life is normal

What were the results of your compression check? If They are all within 10% or so, then no reason for a rebuild as the rings and valves are sealing.
With good ignition components, and valve adjustment checked, you should be good to go except for some carb rejetting and tuning. Black smoke says you're too rich!

Job #1; check the float levels, #2; choke operation, if You actually have 15deg initial #3; verify the mechanical advance is doin' it's thing. IIRC, l had to limit the mech adv on Mine w/only 12deg initial, should have 30-32deg w/o any vacuum to the dizzy total. How close is the air cleaner lid to carb..? Etc. Believe Me, just being rebuilt assures nothing on a carb, especially if it's sat around. Just handling it can screw the levels up, insects/spiders, etc, can plug tiny passages.. tiny air-bleeds...

you say hypereuctic RINGS in the OP? No such thing. Hypereuctic pistons maybe.... but I didnt know anyone made them for a slant 6.

If 2.2 liter pistons were used the could be Hypers.
Yeah, there are a couple "ifs", cam included...depending on which one/whose, the desired lash will be a time consuming trial & error task, it seems to be running reliably as is. I would check & record the lash as it sits, which had been set previously by somebody who should've known the specs, then tweak any stray clearances to the mean avg. At least You'll have a solid baseline to work with(see what l did there....SOLID baseline...ahahh..sigh..).

Yes and that's absolute minimum machine work, NO performance work and a good deal at that.

you say hypereuctic RINGS in the OP? No such thing. Hypereuctic pistons maybe.... but I didnt know anyone made them for a slant 6.

Sorta.Like @Charrlie_S eluded to, people use the 2.2 4 cyl Chrysler piston and 198 rod to get compression up in the 225. Most all of the cast pistons available for the 2.2 are hypereutectic. There are only a few of those part numbers that are not. Then there are the forged Weisco offerings.

-
Back