Plastic Repair

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Tried some of this plastic repair today. I'm impressed as the bonding time is truly 5 seconds when you hit it with the UV light.

It's really easy to use too!! :D

Attachments

• P1030167.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 343
  • P1030174.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 343
  • P1030186.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 348
  • P1030187.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 357
Looks good . Is that the stuff I see advertised on tv?
Yote

Believe it or not....YES, that's it. I ordered it online at Wally World for $10 & picked it up at my local store, so no shipping charges :D

What happened to the grille? Hit a bird with the "Bird?"

I took the grill off a couple years ago to do something :)scratch:) & they broke off in my hand. Thankfully I saved the broken pieces. They took quite awhile to find today though LOL :)

Gluing plastic has always been a challenge unless the plastic was made by Revell. Turns out my Father-in-law used to work at the Revell plant in Venice, CA! He remembers plating all sorts of stuff in the "vacuum-deposition" chamber that they chromed plastic in. I think he said he put a small chrome pellet into the chamber and hung the sprues in there and magically they were plated? Ill have to get back with him on that.
UV curing, that is bad a$$!

Its paintable after the UV? How much was it C?

Yes, you can sand & paint it. $10 was worth a try for ME....:D

I should have sanded it before painting, but I didn't. It still looks great though & might try to install it tomorrow...

I was pretty amazed that it worked so quickly!!

In Ontario you can get a kit by "BONDIC" at Home Hardware - works very well - we've used it to repair plastic AirSoft guns, and I'm looking at using it for my steering wheel to smooth out a little rim separation

Turns out my Father-in-law used to work at the Revell plant in Venice, CA! He remembers plating all sorts of stuff in the "vacuum-deposition" chamber that they chromed plastic in. I think he said he put a small chrome pellet into the chamber and hung the sprues in there and magically they were plated? Ill have to get back with him on that.
UV curing, that is bad a$$!

Well, it isn't "chrome", just a very thin coat of vacuum metallized aluminum. The plastic is painted with a special conductive lacquer, then placed in a vacuum chamber, then the aluminum is thermally vaporized and it adheres to the parts. Later, a protective clear coat is applied on top of that. The "plating" is far too fragile for use on anything but model car parts, or flashlight reflectors and similar things.

Well, I have been wondering about that stuff. I just didn't want to be the guinea pig. :D

Gonna get me some of that!! I have a lot of broken interior pieces to repair, looks like just the ticket!! Thanks C for being the guinea pig!!.....wait, that didn't come out right!!!

I remember seeing the infomercial about UV stuff. Priced right for sure. Will chk into BONDIC or is that Bond Dick?? Or is that from a different store?
I researched "plastic repair" for help redoing my 69 cuda grills. 3M was initially my 1st choice but having to buy the 3M specific gun for their 2part epoxy just didnt make $$ sense.
I found that JB Weld offered a 2part epoxy that dispensed from the "gun" for around $8. Sandable and paintable. Got it up here at Princess Auto, basically our Canadian version of Harbor Freight.

Thanks C!

Attachments

• 20160403_111638.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 248
I wonder if it would fix this.

Attachments

• Picture 3266.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 235
  • Picture 3268.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 242
Ian just saw the commercial, first thing he said was "hey, that's just what we need, Dad"!!! With this ringing endorsement, and C's proven results, I'm sold!! Gonna have the bride pick up a package of this!!

Any words of wisdom on rebuilding/replacing a broken screw boss on plastic parts?

I wonder if it would fix this.

Hmmm....That's pretty bad off. IDK

Ian just saw the commercial, first thing he said was "hey, that's just what we need, Dad"!!! With this ringing endorsement, and C's proven results, I'm sold!! Gonna have the bride pick up a package of this!!

Ian's a smart young man. I did have to order it online & am not sure it's available IN store. Just FYI....:)

Let me know what you think after you use it please.

Any words of wisdom on rebuilding/replacing a broken screw boss on plastic parts?

Pauly, I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, but I attached this broken off plastic barrel screw boss this morning. I had previously tried to reattach it a couple of years ago with Super Glue or something & it wouldn't hold, so I just left it off.....

I didn't take any before pics :eek:ops:, but this barrel shaped piece is only attached on a very thin edge. I set it in place, ran the screw thru it & into the turn signal bezel.

Then used the fix it product to bond them. It worked great!!! :D

Attachments

• P1030193.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 182
  • P1030189.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 181
  • P1030192.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 205
  • P1030194.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 173
I also used the 5 second repair on a challenger grille. It was cracked not totally broken off, it worked great. Did several layers when gap was wide and sanded smooth. Did trial on storage tub lid and it was flexible and strong.

That Q-Bond is pretty cool, Never used it but they have all kinds of stuff bonded to a display board at right angles at the industrial supply store. sort of a "mix glue with iron filings" type deal?

Looks like a remedy for those pesky 73 & up Duster grill mount tabs!

-
Back