diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Contact seller
hey guys

I bought a set of wheels which are slightly wider then the duster will allow
I want to bring the rear end up a little bit, just an inch or two, so I'm looking to install shackles on the rear

I know how much people dislike these here so I figured there have got to be a few sets floating around people would pay me to take of their hands, no?

I figured somebody would jump in with some super stock springs at least!

You consider adding a leaf of two to your existing spring pack? And for the record, I have had more than several shackled up rides over the years brother. :cheers:

I have some fairly new 3 inch lift springs off my '69 Barracuda. I ran them for about 300 miles before swapped rear ends and went with off set shackles. But I'm in Texas and you're in Mi.:banghead:

treblig

I figured somebody would jump in with some super stock springs at least!

I wouldn't mind a new set of springs, but I don't want to fork out that kind of money right now

not to mention the time it takes to change then out

You consider adding a leaf of two to your existing spring pack? And for the record, I have had more than several shackled up rides over the years brother. :cheers:

I had not, but that too seems like more work then I want to put in right now

I have some fairly new 3 inch lift springs off my '69 Barracuda. I ran them for about 300 miles before swapped rear ends and went with off set shackles. But I'm in Texas and you're in Mi.:banghead:

treblig

I don't suppose your up for a road trip are you?
:D

I'm sure shipping would kill me on them

here is a thought, what do you guys think of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262355001086?item=262355001086&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

I know they are made for a Dakota, but the look a WHOLE lot better then the shackles they used in the 70s

a cheap set of "hi-jackers" from jc Whitney? beats those shackles.

I wouldn't mind a new set of springs, but I don't want to fork out that kind of money right now

not to mention the time it takes to change then out

I had not, but that too seems like more work then I want to put in right now

I don't suppose your up for a road trip are you?
:D

I'm sure shipping would kill me on them

here is a thought, what do you guys think of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262355001086?item=262355001086&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

I know they are made for a Dakota, but the look a WHOLE lot better then the shackles they used in the 70s

No road trip for me but Greyhound is pretty reasonable??? It pretty easy for me to check on line if you're really interested?/ All Greyhound cares about is length and weight.

treblig

Shackles are really not made to raise the vehicle. They are made to allow the vehicle to be raised more by something else, usually air shocks. This is why you see cars with long shackles on them with leaf springs that are arching backwards at the shackles.

Shackles are really not made to raise the vehicle. They are made to allow the vehicle to be raised more by something else, usually air shocks. This is why you see cars with long shackles on them with leaf springs that are arching backwards at the shackles.

it almost seems like a chicken/egg debate
right now, I have airshocks on there, and they do raise the car a little
but I have also read that over time (and not a long time) this will rip off the shock mount plates, because the shocks are not meant to raise the car

so, I was hoping with a decent set of shackles (maybe the Dakota ones I linked?) AND the airshocks I could raise the car up in a safe manner ?

If you add shackles with the air shocks you will remove the extra stress that rips the shock mounts off. Shackles,air shocks and shock extensions are made to use together.

gotcha

(I did send trebling a PM on his springs)

any thoughts on the Dakota shackles I linked?

I don't know
I send the seller an email, and he said the ones he has are all packaged up, and ready to go, but the next time he gets a shipment he will measure one for me

I'm sure one of our fellow members will know the appropriate sizing for a Dakota?

I don't see how those will work for you.

that's too bad

ill hold out for a decent set of springs then

thanks everyone for chiming in

I ran shackles, and air shocks without the extensions, I didnt know as I bought it like that. worked fine until you go over a speed bump, then the floor sounds like its going to be ripped out. Imagine a huge bass drum going off every time the shocks extend to their stops! If shackles are not made to lift the rear, they sure do a good job of it on the side.

That's probably the best bet. But you can do it with air shocks and shackles and shock extensions. It's not the best way but it will work.

You need to remember though on a leaf spring rear suspension, using air shocks completely negates their intended design. The springs are designed to plant the tires and lift the rear of the car. If the car is already lifted, that cannot happen and wheel spin will result.

We just removed a set of air shocks and worn springs off one of our cars. If you need the old air shocks I need to pull them out of the trash before tomorrow's pick up...

shocks only, no air lines...

build some rear spring for it , take some c body u bolts and springs cut them to support and stiffen your package , its a no bucks way that it has been done for years on end , and it will improve your cars lunch and handling . my dart gt 383 auto was done like that and my 63 sf mw car was setup like that from new , and is still running them today . i'm sure you know someone pulling the motor/trans from a c body , that just going to scrap it .

I just checked. They're $45 bucks on E-Bay and it hurt my eyes to look at them. It was like looking at the sun. If you're thinking shackles are it for now, just go get a piece of 1-1/4 x 1/4 flat bar and a drill bit. Make your own for about ten bucks. In the past I've found that on a Mopar, all they do is flatten the spring out due to the ratio of spring before and after the axle. I'd hate to see you spend the bucks on something that may not work. I'd also consider unbolting the rear shackles and mocking it up with a block of wood to see if it will even work in the first place.

I just checked. They're $45 bucks on E-Bay and it hurt my eyes to look at them. It was like looking at the sun. If you're thinking shackles are it for now, just go get a piece of 1-1/4 x 1/4 flat bar and a drill bit. Make your own for about ten bucks. In the past I've found that on a Mopar, all they do is flatten the spring out due to the ratio of spring before and after the axle. I'd hate to see you spend the bucks on something that may not work. I'd also consider unbolting the rear shackles and mocking it up with a block of wood to see if it will even work in the first place.

This has been my experience also with tired springs. Plus to get a 1 inch rise I found I needed about 3 or more extra inches of shackle. You know how much body sway comes with that? Just about enough to cut the sidewalls on a hard corner. Plus it doesn't take long and the bushings pop out.
Take a good look at your rear shackle mounts, and shackle angle. Instead of extended shackles, perhaps you can re-engineer that mount, and cure the shackle angle at the same time. It has worked for me in the past.
But really you should re-engineer the whole shebang.

And leadfoot's mock-up idea has also worked for me.

I made a set for mine, but they aren't any longer than stock. 5/16" plate and I can't remember if they are 5/16" or 3/8" grade 8 rear bolts...? I cut a stainless piece of tubing to sleeve the bushings so I wouldn't squish the **** out of the them when I tightened them up. Kinda hard to find 3" long shoulder bolts like what came from the factory.

We just removed a set of air shocks and worn springs off one of our cars. If you need the old air shocks I need to pull them out of the trash before tomorrow's pick up...

shocks only, no air lines...

Thanks for the offer, but the previous owner had allready installed a set of those, so I'm good on those

As it sits now, I'm hoping to buy treblig's springs

Thanks for all the helpfully insights guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back