PLEASE HELP IM IN DIRE STRAIGHTSNo spark MSD but test fine what am i missing!

-
Im not getting anything out of alternator so probably need a new one or voltage regulator?
It needs to be wired in. Charge the battery on a charger before restarting with the alternator circuit wired up.

Last edited:
Im not getting anything out of alternator so probably need a new one or voltage regulator?
I would check the wiring thoroughly before throwing parts at it, sounds to me like someone has been messing around with the harness.

All wires connected to the battery positive are hot even with key off.
1716218627789.png

Alternator output is R6 and that you tell us is connected.
Field wires J2 branch and R3 connect to the spade terminals on the alternator.
1716219023130.png

The J2 (blue) comes from a splice in the J2 circuit.
R3 must go to the connector on the voltage regulator.
All of these need to be secured and kept from touching ground.
1716219192858.png

Regulator is (or was) tucked in here.
1716219465163.png

You may find extra wires from an NOx harness like this guys did.

@Mattax i looked over all the wiring amd terminals and numbers and colors for bulk head and everything looks good the only funky weird thing i found was that voltge regular wire blue side tied into the power marryyng of ig1 and ign2 for little red msd. Cut it away from both sides. Have no idea why he did that

not sure why you have the voltage regulator tied in??? Never have seen that or mention of in my instructions.
Doesnt voltage regulator need to be this ed into ignition? Maybe thats why the blue was added to the mix?

Doesnt voltage regulator need to be this ed into ignition? Maybe thats why the blue was added to the mix?
Do you have a factory service manual with a wiring diagram?

Do you have a factory service manual with a wiring diagram?
I have 71 and 74 service manual, but based on the drawing from mattax i need to have blue-white trace(ign2) that is feeding msd also feed into blue wire on voltage regulator?

Based on this from mattix i had it right, i circled where i need to make connection. It need to splice in white and blue trace to blue field wire that goes to the “I” correct?

IMG_9864.jpeg

I don't k now where what wires have been snipped. Joining the J2 & J3 is fine with an MSD, although not neccessary.

My diagram is just a rework of the circuits of interest based on the factory diagram.
According to the diagram
The ignition feed went to a welded splice. I don't know if that's how it actually was done in production.
The feed is supposed to be a 16 ga wire with blue insulation and a white stripe.
The branches are either 16 ga or 18 ga and do not have the stripe.

1716231314839.png

IF this diagram is accurate, then there were two blue wires at the ballast resistor.
J2A brought power to the ballast resistor,
J2B joined J2A at the connector.
^This^ type of daisy chaining was done as much as possible in production. It minimized welded splices, and I assume saved money and made it easier to wrap and route harnesses.

Example from an original '67 harness
1716232734647.png

If your car was originally equiped with electronic ignition there's some slight differences but the concept is the same.

Here's the ballast resistor wiring on a supposed '72 survivor at 2019 carlisle
1716232887953.png

The J2 here must have its branch to the voltage regulator begin elsewhere - probbaly a welded splice.
The green wire here is actually green with red strip and used to help control current to the ECU.

Last edited:
I have 71 and 74 service manual, but based on the drawing from mattax i need to have blue-white trace(ign2) that is feeding msd also feed into blue wire on voltage regulator?
Basically Yes. Power in ignition 1 (wire J2) and ignition 2 (wire J3) is used to signal the MSD to turn on.
Ignition 1 is power to run the engine and that includes the alternator. One branch goes to the regulator so the regulator knows the system voltage. Another branch goes to a field terminal on the alternator. Additional branches were added on some years/models for other basic engine electrics that were added (such as electric choke assist).

Ok now my question is do i splice j2 to blue voltage regulator wire? Because thats how it was originally wired and everyone on here said that shouldnt be that way. Enclosed is how msd was wired just like diagram?
Basically Yes. Power in ignition 1 (wire J2) and ignition 2 (wire J3) is used to signal the MSD to turn on.
Ignition 1 is power to run the engine and that includes the alternator. One branch goes to the regulator so the regulator knows the system voltage. Another branch goes to a field terminal on the alternator. Additional branches were added on some years/models for other basic engine electrics that were added (such as electric choke assist).
e

IMG_9839.jpeg

What i did was cut that “green wire” that spliced to blue voltage reg wire the I terminal wire on voltage regulator. I cut it iut of the equation but everyone was obviously wrong cause now i have no charging

Screenshot_20240520-170935_Gallery.jpg

Would be good to isolate your MSD wiring layout from the factory wiring.

Like use a Relay to power full 12 volts "from the battery" (with fuse) triggered by factory switched ignition wire.

Want to check the Alternator output volts and battery voltage with the engine running when you are done.

Hopefully it's 13.5 -14.5 when you check. Too low or too high is not good.

Screenshot_20240519-165144_Firefox.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

View attachment 1716252330

Would be good to isolate your MSD wiring layout from the factory wiring.

Like use a Relay to power full 12 volts "from the battery" (with fuse) triggered by factory switched ignition wire.

Want to check the Alternator output volts and battery voltage with the engine running when you are done.

Hopefully it's 13.5 -14.5 when you check. Too low or too high is not good.

View attachment 1716252332

☆☆☆☆☆
Isolate it how, it requires both ignition switched wires, and the blue white trace feeds to voltage regulator

Here is how I isolated the newly built Mopar HEI ignition and E-coil for my '89 Truck.

Keeping it separate from all of the old factory wiring.

20240520_172912.jpg

Green wire [bottom terminal] power out full 12 volts to HEI ignition.

Knotted blue wire [top] is full 12 volts incoming, from battery.

Black with yellow connector is the Keyed Switch wire, this wire triggers the relay.

Lower black wire with the blue connector is the ground wire.

☆☆☆☆☆

Last edited:
Add the Relay to power your MSD ignition (as in post #66).

Then wire your voltage regulator as pictured here below, the way the factory did it.

Screenshot_20240520-170935_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

I got her all back, charging at 14.05v, and starting at the snap of a finger thank you all for everything

Because thats how it was originally wired and everyone on here said that shouldnt be that way.
How could we know that green was blue? and that tan was connected to J2-16DBL* ?
We could only tell you based on the info you provided.
You should have enough info now to figure it out. I certainly can't see what you have there.

How could we know that green was blue? and that tan was connected to J2-16DBL* ?
You should have enough info now to figure it out. I certainly can't see what you have there.
Yes my apologies i ended up putting it back the way it was it was correct, my problem the whole time was the distributor

Green is the new blue. Haven't you heard? What's wrong with you? lol

-
Back