Please Help!

-

viperredduster

Reaction score
I am bout to finish up my freshman year of college and am really needing to pick a major. I am undeclared now and have been taking classes that will count for pretty much any major. The question I have for you all is as follows: If you could go back to school and go into some type of career what would it be?

I ask yall this because we all share the fact that we are Mopar people.

Thanks for any input.

If I could go back,I would take vehicle diagnosis also anything to do with turbos.This will be the thing of the future in mostly all vehicles(gas savings).We are already putting twinturbos in the new Lincoln MKT and Ford Flex and see turbos on 4 cyl. in the future.Hope this helps.:clock:

If I could go back,I would take vehicle diagnosis also anything to do with turbos.This will be the thing of the future in mostly all vehicles(gas savings).We are already putting twinturbos in the new Lincoln MKT and Ford Flex and see turbos on 4 cyl. in the future.Hope this helps.:clock:

Thanks man, but I have a full scholarship to Mississippi State and they dont offer anything like that. I would have to do Mech Engineering to get close to that, which means 4 semesters of calculus and three of physics, and two of chemistry.. and thats just to get to your materials and design classes.

Mechanical Engineer, Your design doesn`t have to work, The layman, "mechanics in the field" will be forced to make it work, and you will still make the big bucks:read2: good luck whatever direction you choose8)

I'm currently a fith year senior (cuz I switched majors). If I could start all over I'd be a Chem major with a bio minor or a Chem and Bio double major (I'm currently just a Bio major). Right now, if you go anything medically related you will be in good shape. I'm currently focusing on Pharmacy. The most important thing is to know what you want to do and get good grades (I didn't know I wanted to go into pharmacy until last year, so I have to take extra classes next year :angry7: ).

If you are interested in the medical aspect, let me know and I'll be glad to pass on any and all knowledge I have!

:sign10:

Mechanical engineer for sure. My big brother is one and works for Ford as a developmental engineer in the design department in Dearborn. Good gig.

Engineering is big in my family. My father was a chemical engineer, my nephew is a packaging engineer, and my daughter wants to become a Nuclear engineer. eeek

Registered Nurse or PA. You'll never have a problem finding or keeping a job and the pay is pretty good too!

Bio-engineering: architecture
My son is your age and plans on Majoring in Physics and International Relations (what I use to call Political Science). I told him with that double he is either saving the world or blowing it up. Good luck

Registered Nurse or PA. You'll never have a problem finding or keeping a job and the pay is pretty good too!

Funny thing about an RN……. We have a huge shortage and the wait to get in a program can be several years.

But like you said…… You will never be out of work.

What do you want to do? If you want to be some kind of professional (lawyer, doctor, engineer, etc.), your question is answered for you. Interested in any kind of sales or want to open your own business? Go for a marketing degree.

do what YOU want. i made the mistake of asking people what i should do with my life when i knew i wanted to own my own resto shop. started as a mech engineer and hated it completely, now im doing what i want. getting a business management degree and then going to a vocational school to learn everything i can about resto and customizing beyond what i already know. i could be a failure but its what i want in life so its what im doing. and even if i do fail ill be happy while doing it. i know ill be pissed at myself and everyone else if i dont try.

Im a freshman aswell, have you taken psychology?? Its a science field at major universities and most science tuition is fairly cheap.. Most psychologist make over 240k per year. The only Down fall is it takes about 12 years to get your Doctorates Degree in psychology.

Whatever you do, don't get into IT (read BS in CIS, systems engineer, etc.). the pay sucks for what you have to put up with and everyone wants you to fix there stuff at all hours of the day or night. Even if you get in with a good company and are an onsite professional, you'll be on call 24/7 and even when you are on vacation. There is no life/work balance and you'll spend more time empathizing and baby sitting than actually diagnosing the problem.

If I could do it all over, I'd be a mechanical engineer. I never got my ME degree as I ran out of money, but the math and chemistry was much more fun once it was applied and no one calls you at 3 in the morning if a part breaks.

Can't argue with Mechanical Engineering! That's my major. I'm considering others too but I'm looking at a minor in business to help fill out the corporate aspect of a technical degree. Also, some good advice I've had is that your undergrad degree will not determine what you do in life if you don't want it to. I decided to get an engineering degree because I like and am pretty good at math/science, and it will get me a good job after school, but I really don't think I'm planning on spending my whole life as an engineer.

Funny thing about an RN……. We have a huge shortage and the wait to get in a program can be several years.

But like you said…… You will never be out of work.

Here, L.I.N.Y., your entrance exam is your ticket in, and it had better be a 96 grade or better to make the waiting list since better grades get you in without a wait. So, I'm out!

I guess I'll play with other peoples money then.

Thanks for all the coments. I was just hoping to see what people who share some of the same interests as me would go to school for. I am currently a Mech Eng major and do not think its for me because of the direction the job is heading.

I am currently thinking about getting into geology because I could be in the field, which I love the outdoors. I am also going to take some business classes as well and see how that goes.

And YES I am going to be a businessman geologist

Hey Man,

I am a junior mechanical engineer at Mississippi State and can answer any questions you have about becoming an ME. First of all don't worry about all the cals and the physics. Yes, the first few years are rough basis are always the hardest. And Yes, you will study ALOT! (Trust me I do). But you learn so really cool stuff that you would never learn if you were an business major. Like this week I learn how to find the speed of a car just by knowing all the radius of the gears in the transmission and the angular velocity of the fly wheel. You can't tell me that any real Mopar guy wouldn't want to know how to calculate that.

If you want to know more let me know. Also do you have your car up here in Starkville?

First off let me give ya a clue, just a clue on how i feel about some professions. A lawyer is a snake. No, let me put that another way. I have more respect for a snake. Look at Washington. I rest my case on that issue. Glad i got that off my chest. Now on to your question. If i had it to do over agian i'd lean towards being a Pharmisist. You can get a job any where in the U.S. and a lot of other countries. Have a warm place to work in the winter and a cool place to work in the summer. Pay is sufficient to support your habits and hobbies and those of a spouse. It will be a while before a machine replaces the Phamisist.
Small Block

First off let me give ya a clue, just a clue on how i feel about some professions. A lawyer is a snake. No, let me put that another way. I have more respect for a snake. Look at Washington. I rest my case on that issue. Glad i got that off my chest. Now on to your question. If i had it to do over agian i'd lean towards being a Pharmisist. You can get a job any where in the U.S. and a lot of other countries. Have a warm place to work in the winter and a cool place to work in the summer. Pay is sufficient to support your habits and hobbies and those of a spouse. It will be a while before a machine replaces the Phamisist.
Small Block

Excellent answer. My son and his wife are cpa's. They haven't missed a lick of work. I haven't worked for 15 months(commercial construction super).
Civil engineering is there too.

Hey Man,

I am a junior mechanical engineer at Mississippi State and can answer any questions you have about becoming an ME. First of all don't worry about all the cals and the physics. Yes, the first few years are rough basis are always the hardest. And Yes, you will study ALOT! (Trust me I do). But you learn so really cool stuff that you would never learn if you were an business major. Like this week I learn how to find the speed of a car just by knowing all the radius of the gears in the transmission and the angular velocity of the fly wheel. You can't tell me that any real Mopar guy wouldn't want to know how to calculate that.

If you want to know more let me know. Also do you have your car up here in Starkville?

Small world huh.. That is the stuff I really enjoy but didnt want to go through the first years for that stuff and then get a job stuck at a computer testing clearances of parts for example. I really enjoy being in the field working with my hands but also want the option of going to an office if my body starts slacking. My intro class kinda turned me away because she told us that we most likely wouldnt see field work.

And no I dont have my car in starkville. I currently live in Mckee so there is no where to park it.

Green Energy!! Like wind turbines. Growing employment opportunities, lots of money to be made, and lots of travel. You are young. Travel, see the world, make lots of money, settle down, buy more Mopars and enjoy life!!

viperredduster

Sitting behind a desk is what most engineers do now a days, but not all do that. I enjoy working with my hands as well and don't want to end up with a desk job either. So I am aiming for one of the in field engineer jobs. But to tell you the truth, I wouldn't completely hate working behind a desk making BANK! (Most MEs start right out of college at 70k). So I can go home and work on my mopars without worrying about the money.

But really I wouldn't change my major if I started over. I am past the stupid classes and the classes that I am in and getting into are really interesting. If you see "businessman geologist" interesting go for it.

Are you into rock climbing? I am the MSU club Vertical president and we are always looking for people interested in going climbing.

Mechanical Engineer with enhancements like a Millwright ticket (you can design it and fix it) along the way then specialize in high speed centrifugal equipment like gas and steam turbines and HS centrifugal compressors. It's the future in gas delivery and power generation, there have been major strides, efficiency and metalurgy mostly, in the last 10 years.

-
Back