Please read this and give me your opinion

-

scatpack340

Reaction score
Hey Guy...and Gals, I have been visiting this forum for years but only recently joined. I am one of the few guy here that have owned their car longer than they can remember. Like a lot of people, my priorities have changed for various reasons and my Dart (among other things) has been left to sit because I basically lost interest. Taking a serious and honest look at the car today, and knowing my financial situation, I think I need to make a move with this car. Now, here is my dilema...if I sell the car I might get 3 to 4 thousand for it. However, if I part it out I could probably get double that.

The car is an all original, matching numbers 340, 4 speed, sure-grip 1970 Swinger. M/S, M/DB, bench seat, perfect dash bezel with NOS tach, rallye wheels. Plus, I have new bumpers, fuel tank and line, and other parts that were never installed. Please...what do I do ?

Keep the car. You will always be sorry if you sell it. I sold my first 68 cuda 20 years ago. I just bought another and not a day goes by that I don't think about some of the many items I let go with that car that I could use today on the 68 cuda I just bought.
By the way, if you're selling, I'm first in line at that price!

I always tell people to do what ever they want with their car. Do what makes them happy.

Money is always an issue, we all seem to have less and less of it and parting out the car would bring you more cash.

But if the car is all original like you say it is, then, in my opinion, its better to sell it whole to some car guy or gal who will appreciate it for what it is.

my 2 cents.

I to have a 70 340 4 speed Dart. I also do not have the money to restore it right now and it kills me. I would never part it out as only a stupid jack *** would do some thing like that. And because of sentemental resons I cant bring myself to sell it ether. So I am just going to hang on to it and save some mony on the side. I have a Dart fund. One day I will restore it.

Okay, I will help you out. You sell it to me for the 3 to 4 thousand dollars and you can be done with it. Problem solved. Just kidding - keep that thing!

Hey Guy...and Gals, I have been visiting this forum for years but only recently joined. I am one of the few guy here that have owned their car longer than they can remember. Like a lot of people, my priorities have changed for various reasons and my Dart (among other things) has been left to sit because I basically lost interest. Taking a serious and honest look at the car today, and knowing my financial situation, I think I need to make a move with this car. Now, here is my dilema...if I sell the car I might get 3 to 4 thousand for it. However, if I part it out I could probably get double that.

The car is an all original, matching numbers 340, 4 speed, sure-grip 1970 Swinger. M/S, M/DB, bench seat, perfect dash bezel with NOS tach, rallye wheels. Plus, I have new bumpers, fuel tank and line, and other parts that were never installed. Please...what do I do ?

If it were me, I would keep it and store it properly for a later date. They just are not making any more of these cars. I don't think you would have any problem getting more than what you think for it though.
That being said, if you would like to sell the new, never installed front bumper, I would be interested and first in line for it.

Jack

What other parts do you have that were never installed? If you decide to part let me know. You should keep the car whole though.

keep it if you can... if not sell the whole thing. Dont part out something like that.....its sac-relidge.

-RPM

I agree with everyone else. Keep it if you can. My dad is the original owner of our hemi roadrunner and when he got it repainted 18 years ago, the project got halted by my mom getting pregnant with yours truly. Well, like any other kid I was expensive, and it sat. It sat in the garage until I was in forth grade and I helped him put it back together. I guess my point is that it is allowed to sit. I mean if you really need that money then you can sell it, and I would rather see it sold than parted out personally. BUT, if you don't need the money but can't do anything with it, just cover it up and let it sit, it's not going anywhere and you can always finish later.

Whatever you do, I hope that you can stay or get back into this wonderful car like of ours with your own project. Let us know what you decide on.

The potential to make more cash is there, but what if you sell some of the high dollar parts and then can't sell the rest? I say sell it whole or keep it. It's not worth the work to strip it and make a little bit more $$$.

The potential to make more cash is there, but what if you sell some of the high dollar parts and then can't sell the rest? I say sell it whole or keep it. It's not worth the work to strip it and make a little bit more $$$.

I agree with that. There is going to be a point where you have stuff left and you can't get rid of it.

Don't part it out.....that's just wrong. I have a 10-year rule on my projects.....if I don't touch them in that amount of time, they're gone!.......and I tell myself "well, I must not have been THAT much into the car if I couldn't bring myself to work on it in that long". I've owned Darts.....then sold 'em and went out and found another.

I dunno, who the hell really knows what we all want. It sounds like yours is special and worth hanging onto.....but......there have been times when I thought that the money I could get from an old car could be spent on a awesome vacation for my family........it's hard to argue (to me) that that isn't worth the trade-off.

After re-reading you initial post, you state two reasons you are thinking of moving your car.

Financial. If this is your primary reason, are you desperate for the money? Or are you thinking the extra cash would be nice? For a time in my life, I was desperate for cash, but I kept my projects, paying for storage etc. Money issues often resolve themselves and then you will have the ability to work on her.

Interest. If you have no interest in getting her done, and dont feel you ever will have the interest, then keeping it around will become a burden. I never lost the interest although my priorities pulled me away from the hobby for a number of years. If you think you might want to do it someday, keep it. If you're sure you won't want to, then sell.

As far as parting or complete.. it's your call. I'm sure many (myself included) would rather save original 340 & big block A-bodies, but if you think you can get more by selling it piece-by-piece, do what you need to do.

Personally, I couldn't part it down, which explains my collection of projects, but it's my desire to fix them that prevents it, with no desire, it's just a bunch of money sitting there.

Grant

If at all possible, keep your Dart. And please don't part out an original, numbers matching 340 car. There are not many of them around any more.

I suspect you'll regret your decision later on if you do end up selling the Dart. The automotive hobby is full of guys who pine for the "one that got away!"

You could always just set it on fire. That would destroy it just as much as parting it out, plus you could roast marshmallows and make that cool psssst sound when you pee on the still hot metal.

Honestly though, I doubt you would get more parting it out than selling it whole unless it's a total rust bucket. Post some pics here and see if a member is interested in it. Try Moparts, or try eBay. Somebody there is bound to pay far too much sight unseen.

BTW, if it is a complete original 340 4spd car, running without structural rust, it's worth more like 8-10 grand.

Keep it! If you are in dire need of cash then put it up for sale complete and don't part it out. If you feel a need to sell it for $4000 it won't make you a rich man so keep it and a few years down the road you can restore it. By then the aftermarket will repop everything for the car and it will be easy! LOL Good luck, toolmanmike

Take my word for it...If you let the car go you will think about it for years as I did when I sold my 1971 340 Duster 20 years ago. DO NOT PART OUT AN ORIGINAL 340 4 SPEED CAR! Hold on to it if you can. Restore it in the future. If you really need the money...Sell it to a Mopar guy that will restore the car.. And feel you did the right thing!! Craig..

Keep it. If you do not keep it, sell it whole.

The cash, although probably helpful will only last a few months...BUT if it is the difference of eating vs having a project car, no one would blame you for your decision.

For me, I bounce back and forth between Sport motorcycles (ZX-10), Nitro RC cars and my 64 Dart...oh, and I have suddenly gained a whole new appreciation for my 2001 Z71 Silverado. Right now, I am into the motorcycle...and the Dart is sitting. Maybe it is my ADD...OR my lack of funds for the next step in the evolution of my Dart.

In a perfect world, I would have 4 or 5 buddies who all pitched in and rented a big building so we could store cars. I would leave the Dart on a trailer, sitting in the building. When my interest peaked again, I would tow it home, and work on it some more.

It is funny, I speak to a lot of guys in this category. They almost always return to their previous interests, and typically regret selling off something because of lack of interest.

Have fun, and remember, it is just a hobby...it should not suck.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

I to have a 70 340 4 speed Dart. I also do not have the money to restore it right now and it kills me. I would never part it out as only a stupid jack *** would do some thing like that. And because of sentemental resons I cant bring myself to sell it ether. So I am just going to hang on to it and save some mony on the side. I have a Dart fund. One day I will restore it.
Correct. I have a 70 Duster that I bought new; It got a salt water bath in the Atlantic ocean, I didn't hose it good enough. So, it sat on jackstands since '87 , when I installed a custom Dana, tacked in the 4 link on a back-half, and stopped. Then last year, started back on it. Floor pans, rear quarter, etc, but progress was there, I started feeling better about all the work. I had the parts, but no time. Now I'm one of the laid-off guys, and have spent the last 8 months putting it together. And I can't wait to drive it again.
Hang on to it- it will be worth it in the long run. KEEP IT!

I cannot think of one reason to sell in this economy except simple survival. Buy low...SELL HIGH. Not, buy low...sell low. Apart from basic business sense, it is a f'ing travesty to cut up an original 340, 4-speed car.

While we don't know your total situation it does seem pretty unanimous that you should keep it.
My story, I had a '67 original numbers matching. I went about 25 years without having the money to restore it, and it needed enough work that it sat on blocks for 14 years. At that time my son had turned 14 and asked if we could work on it. We got it out, tore it down and I took night classes in body work. Many times over the years I was tempted to sell, but I am darn glad I didn't. What could I have got for it? At the time maybe $1500-2,000. The money would have been spent. Now, every time my son (now 21) cranks it up and takes it for a spin he has a grin from ear to ear. He might occasionally remember a vacation that we took, I guarantee that he remembers our time spent in the garage every time he looks at the car. I gave it to him when we got done. Now I am working on my Duster project, and he helps "occasionally"...

My opinion, and you asked, keep the car.
C

-
Back