Plug Readers Chime In

-
2 degrees less timing

I believe we're good now, eh?

lancer plug11.jpg

The other side
lancer plug12.jpg

These look okeh, but I like the previous pic a little better (in post № 25)—if the engine wasn't pinging or giving other signs of excessive timing advance, I'd put back those 2°.

(Probably ZFR5N; a 4 would be one step hotter and a 6 would be one step colder, but I'm pretty sure there's no ZFR4N or ZFR6N.)

These look okeh, but I like the previous pic a little better (in post № 25)—if the engine wasn't pinging or giving other signs of excessive timing advance, I'd put back those 2°.

(Probably ZFR5N; a 4 would be one step hotter and a 6 would be one step colder, but I'm pretty sure there's no ZFR4N or ZFR6N.)

Thanks, that was a typo, and your are correct.

I'll run them a little longer at 2 degrees retarded, then check all of them again soon.

Be careful to mind the difference between what you know (lots of other stuff, I'm sure) and what you just think you know (this thing about "the farther the porcelain hangs out the hotter the plug", which is wrong).
Oh ? Do tell ...

The length of the heat path from the tip to the shell determines the plug's "heat range" (how hot it runs)—shorter path = colder, longer path = hotter. If it were possible to look at a plug and accurately see the length of that heat path, then we'd look at a plug with an extended projected nose, such as the ZFR5N in this thread, and call it a hot plug (or extra-hot, or too hot…) because it looks like the heat path is extra-long. But it's not possible to eyeball this, because of the part of the heat path we can't see. This NGK ZFR5N with its extended projected nose has the same heat range—the tip runs at about the same temperature range—as an otherwise identical NGK GR5 with a regular nose, that looks like it has a much shorter heat path. They are both in NGK heat range № 5. Or if you prefer to speak Champion, an RN13LYC (with extended projected nose) has the same heat range—runs at about the same tip temps—as an otherwise identical RN13YC (with standard nose); they're both in Champion's heat range № 13.

Anyhow, there was no indication in any of the pics in this thread that the plug is too hot for the application.

Oh boy! Some woke Slantsixdan up-
He knows his stuff!
Lol!
Nice write up Dan! As always a good job I appreciate.
Joe

The length of the heat path from the tip to the shell determines the plug's "heat range" (how hot it runs)—shorter path = colder, longer path = hotter. If it were possible to look at a plug and accurately see the length of that heat path, then we'd look at a plug with an extended projected nose, such as the ZFR5N in this thread, and call it a hot plug (or extra-hot, or too hot…) because it looks like the heat path is extra-long. But it's not possible to eyeball this, because of the part of the heat path we can't see. This NGK ZFR5N with its extended projected nose has the same heat range—the tip runs at about the same temperature range—as an otherwise identical NGK GR5 with a regular nose, that looks like it has a much shorter heat path. They are both in NGK heat range № 5. Or if you prefer to speak Champion, an RN13LYC (with extended projected nose) has the same heat range—runs at about the same tip temps—as an otherwise identical RN13YC (with standard nose); they're both in Champion's heat range № 13.

Anyhow, there was no indication in any of the pics in this thread that the plug is too hot for the application.
Very interesting I was always told that the extruded porcelain was the tell tail sign of the heat range , because it hung out so far into the combustion chamber , and would stay hotter than one that was tucked way up inside the plug ? Colour me blonde.

Very interesting I was always told that the extruded porcelain was the tell tail sign of the heat range , because it hung out so far into the combustion chamber , and would stay hotter than one that was tucked way up inside the plug ? Colour me blonde.

It is...if you compare say autolite 62, 63, 64 etc..you can see it.

Ngkbpr7es doesnt quite look the same as autolite 64...but they are close on the cross reference.

Going with a totally different plug manufacturer and comparing to say one of the the above autolites doesnt tell you anything...the zrf5n crosses over to the standard slant plugs heat range wise. Just sticks into the chamber further.

slantsixdan suggested I put back in just a tad more timing

He was right. Imagine that. ;)

lancer plug best1.jpg

-
Back