Points to electronic ignition for a 318

-
I used a skip white distributor that has the hei module built in along with an e-coil. It eliminates the vr and ballast resistor.

Ugh...Pertronix...Another bubble gum ignition.Plus your going to throw it in a 20,30,40 yr old distributor ? Been there done that.No thanks.

Why not install a Chrysler electronic ignition,that is tried and true ?
Don't believe the BS,sky is falling,jibber,jabber,about this system.
Chrysler designed one of the best electronic ign systems ever.
Either buy a kit,or piece it together.Installs in minutes,looks right,and works very,very,well.In case of a failure,the parts are readily available at any auto parts store.

I don't know man. I got a couple of friends who have two dragsters. One with a 440 and the other with a Buick 455. The 440 one runs in the 7s the Buick in the 8s. That's for the 1320. Both have Pertronix. Once the timing is set, they don't touch anything. Works good.

^^ Rob I'm not saying the Pertronix is a "bad" deal. I have a little Farmall with one on it. All I'm saying to these guys is that if you DO run Pertronix, you might want to carry spare pieces (isn't the rotor special?) because you won't buy them in most localities

Now I agree 100% with that. Just do like Bakerlite said. Keep the points condenser and rotor in a baggie in the glovebox.

I went with the Pertronix unit because I had a NOS dual point distributor that I want to use on my restoration. Did dual points in the day and don't feel like dealing with them now. It is a simple 5 minute swap. I will be keeping points and condenser for back up if I need to.

The most simple would be to put a pentrniox set up in the points distributor you have.

You can pull the stock parts off any small block from about 73 to 80, with the wiring and make it work.

I prefer to do the following, trade the points distibutor in at napa for a stock re-manufactured electronic distributor and do a hei conversion in it, I have 3 old mopars running this way and it costs $100.

There is a complety contained off shore made distributor for like $75 buck, I have not used one, but the quality in some have not been that great.

There is also plenty of MSD, Mallory after market units which are really nice.

why would you trade in a working points distributor? there a real good thing to have in the trunk for backup, nothing else there are still people who like them

I don't know man. I got a couple of friends who have two dragsters. One with a 440 and the other with a Buick 455. The 440 one runs in the 7s the Buick in the 8s. That's for the 1320. Both have Pertronix. Once the timing is set, they don't touch anything. Works good.

Well,they have several different igniters. The original,II,III.
Plus they have their Pertronix distributors. I'm sure through the years they have improved. Would be interesting to know what your buds had.I seriously doubt they were running a stock distributor,with a drop in ignitor,doing 8's. they had way more ignition than that.
I had an original Pertronix ignitor in my slant car.Ran decent for a stock slant.
Then I started building the slant,and noticed it crapping out around 4000rpm's.
That's when I built my own /6 ignition system (Chrysler)together with Don at FBO. Now that lil beast will rev to the moon.

For the price of a new Petronix ignitor,you can just about put together a complet,bullet proof,Chrysler ignition.

Now I agree 100% with that. Just do like Bakerlite said. Keep the points condenser and rotor in a baggie in the glovebox.

Hopefully it isn't dark...That would be fun !!!!!!

PS...Dont forget the matchbook. :D

Actually, that's what they have. lol Both distributor bodies are the stock units. PanGasket has seen the Buick. They are both in the Southern Slingshots Association.

Here is Ancient Orange. The description is old. It had a 383 but now it runs a 440.

http://southernslingshots.com/ssgteams38.html

Ugh...Pertronix...Another bubble gum ignition.Plus your going to throw it in a 20,30,40 yr old distributor ? Been there done that.No thanks.

Why not install a Chrysler electronic ignition,that is tried and true ?
Don't believe the BS,sky is falling,jibber,jabber,about this system.
Chrysler designed one of the best electronic ign systems ever.
Either buy a kit,or piece it together.Installs in minutes,looks right,and works very,very,well.In case of a failure,the parts are readily available at any auto parts store.

Yeah sure, any auto parts store when your in the middle of nowhere... Enjoy the walk or your ride with the first serial killer that pics you up.
There is nothing wrong with the Pertronix brand, it's a cleaner instal than having a metal box bolted to your firewall.

Yeah sure, any auto parts store when your in the middle of nowhere... Enjoy the walk or your ride with the first serial killer that pics you up.
There is nothing wrong with the Pertronix brand, it's a cleaner instal than having a metal box bolted to your firewall.

I agree. I am a big fan. And were it not for the fact that I found an awesome cool period correct Mallory Double Life dual point distributor for my Hemi, I would run the Pertronix. But there's not a damn thing wrong with a good points ignition either.

I guess that could be said for any part going south. Your analogy doesn't hold water.

PS: That ECU is just plain sexy....Just oozes Mopar. That's how I roll.

That thing is pretty cool. What's the cooler / fan up front, engine oil?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy6Lp8eRrxE"]Ancient Orange @ Bristol Run #2 - YouTube[/ame]

That thing is pretty cool. What's the cooler / fan up front, engine oil?

Ancient Orange @ Bristol Run #2 - YouTube

Radiator. They are the ONLY dragster in the Southern Slingshots runnin a coolin system. All the rest run alcohol and don't need a cooling system. The rest of the guys always egg um on about it but they ain't gonna do it. They're stayin with gas. Charles is such a good driver, he usually beats the alcohol cars anyway.

That Bristol video was with the 383.

Ancient Orange is a REAL period dragster. It was originally built in the 1960s. It's not certified, so about the only time they run it is at special events like the GearJammers thing in Commerce and that event at Bristol. It won't pass modern tech. They would have to rebuild the whole car and that would ruin its originality.

why would you trade in a working points distributor? there a real good thing to have in the trunk for backup, nothing else there are still people who like them

Simple core, if you have any distributor for a core they really dont care.
I do like points also, I have several vehicles that still have them, from what I got for the op's original post he was looking for a cheap, fast, easy way to go electronic.

I guess that could be said for any part going south. Your analogy doesn't hold water.
But we are not talking about just any part... are we??? Pertronix is a clear winner when it comes to having a backup to get you home..
Even Ford managed to miniaturize their ignition unit and make it part of the distributor. The Mopar box is big enough to contain vacuum tubes by today's standards :) They should get with the times and offer a distributor that has all of the electronics contained inside it like a Bosch unit.

Skip Whyte from E-Bay, around $50. Easy install, get the right resistance hotter, more volt coil, regap plugs wider, bypass ballast resistor. Easy to do.

Actually, that's what they have. lol Both distributor bodies are the stock units. PanGasket has seen the Buick. They are both in the Southern Slingshots Association.

Here is Ancient Orange. The description is old. It had a 383 but now it runs a 440.

http://southernslingshots.com/ssgteams38.html

I remember when they came out to Douglas Motorsports Park. My Dad and I were glad to see a Mopar in the mix.

I was told this ---> If everything is installed properly, you wouldn't have any issues no matter what company/brand you decided to go with.

The most simple would be to put a pentrniox set up in the points distributor you have.

You can pull the stock parts off any small block from about 73 to 80, with the wiring and make it work.

I prefer to do the following, trade the points distibutor in at napa for a stock re-manufactured electronic distributor and do a hei conversion in it, I have 3 old mopars running this way and it costs $100.

There is a complety contained off shore made distributor for like $75 buck, I have not used one, but the quality in some have not been that great.

There is also plenty of MSD, Mallory after market units which are really nice.

X2 either do the HEI conversion or go with a MSD billet drop in distributor and be done with it for good. The drop in modules are prone to heat soak which over heat and burn out prematurely. Many are fine but many are not. The pertronix failure rate is too high for me as I've had to re-do too many modules and even their flame thrower coils. From Mopars to fords, Chevys to volkswagens I had gotten tired of having to contact pertronix for replacements all to often. Plus it angers people to have to bring it back and have it done again..... I don't recommend the drop in modules. If you really must get one, either the pertronix III which won't burn if you leave the ignition on or get an excel module.

Skip Whyte from E-Bay, around $50. Easy install, get the right resistance hotter, more volt coil, regap plugs wider, bypass ballast resistor. Easy to do.

They sell Chinese junk. That's one distributor I'd stay away from. If you end up with one you need to check the advance curve and also change the ignition module for a Bosch type of similar.

I remember when they came out to Douglas Motorsports Park. My Dad and I were glad to see a Mopar in the mix.

They are a class act. The other dragster they have is Black Widow. The chassis is black and engine is red.....Buick red since it's a Buick 455.

They sell Chinese junk. That's one distributor I'd stay away from. If you end up with one you need to check the advance curve and also change the ignition module for a Bosch type of similar.

Thankya hear? You beat me to it.

-
Back