Points to electronic ignition for a 318

-
Pertronix is a clear winner when it comes to having a backup to get you home..

How's that ? Installing a set of points out of the glovebox ?
Good luck fumbling with that,especially at night. Your better off carrying a whole distributor. In a Chrysler system it's usually an ECU or Ballast.
Swapping out a set of points vs an ECU,who do you think will be on the road first ? No brainer.

There are story's all over the Internet,of stranded Pertronixs customers.
Pertronixs is "Not" the end all be all.

PS: I see your bashing Chinese products,we all do.
Guess where some of your precious Pertronixs parts are made/assembled ?
You guessed it.....China.

Having said that...Pertronix is an ok ignition,and works for many.
But when your application is calling for a real ignition,there are much better options.

This explains the difference between the Ignitor models. I would always recommend checking out the distributor for wear and even more so with mine was the fact that the grease on the weights had turned to the consistency on gooey cold caramel. Sometimes they would move sometimes they wouldn't, sometimes they would return sometimes they wouldn't and when they did swing out it might have a been a little or maybe where they should have been. I couldn't keep the engine in time and it ran like crap in random RPM ranges.

Low mileage engine previously owned by an old lady- just age on it. I pulled the distributor and took it apart and cleaned and regreased the weights and she ran like a top and has ever since.

The Mopar box is big enough to contain vacuum tubes by today's standards

Actually I've taken these apart and they actually DO contain vacuum tubes, LOL

http://www.rexophone.com/?p=507

L.jpg

Pertronix is a clear winner when it comes to having a backup to get you home..

How's that ? Installing a set of points out of the glovebox ?
Good luck fumbling with that,especially at night. Your better off carrying a whole distributor. In a Chrysler system it's usually an ECU or Ballast.
Swapping out a set of points vs an ECU,who do you think will be on the road first ? No brainer.

There are story's all over the Internet,of stranded Pertronixs customers.
Pertronixs is "Not" the end all be all.

PS: I see your bashing Chinese products,we all do.
Guess where some of your precious Pertronixs parts are made/assembled ?
You guessed it.....China.

Having said that...Pertronix is an ok ignition,and works for many.
But when your application is calling for a real ignition,there are much better options.

Just because you fumble around when you do things doesn't mean everyone else does. You want to have a spare distributor rolling around in the trunk of your car then that's up to you. If your to inept to drop in a set of points then I guess that's your problem.
Most Chinese products made under an established brand name are ok because they have to meet certain quality standards, it's the mass produced no name stuff that is the problem, like that distributor.
As far as I know the conversion ignitions are still made in the USA.

i have a 1970 belvedere with the stock 318 in it, previous owner added a bigger cam and iv added a new elderbrock 4 bbl intake and carb..the one thing iv been wanting to change is the original points system to a electronic system..iv never done a swap like this before and was looking for some info and advice on the best way to do it..what all do i need to swap out, and what would be the best setup to put on it, or what would be a good vehicle to take all the parts from..any help is appreciated, thanks for reading

My vote is for a stock chrysler electronic dizzy w vacuum advance, and a GM HEI module with a GM HEI stand alone coil 92 up GM pickup truck. This uses the mopar dizzy as the trigger, and the GM HEI setup wired into it is a cheap multi spark discharge setup.

I dont think the mopar ignition boxes are that good. The GM module / chrysler distributer setup.should wake up your car in terms of pep and mpgs on the cheap. Slanty 6 guys are doing this conversion.

Check youtube for this setup. Theres a vid of a black dart w red bumblebee stripe where the guy is showing off his conversion. Car sounds nice.

^^ The thing is, even an HEI with a stock Mopar coil / no resistor is still better even without a special coil. I don't even run a separate heat sink. I just screwed the HEI right to the firewall

^^ The thing is, even an HEI with a stock Mopar coil / no resistor is still better even without a special coil. I don't even run a separate heat sink. I just screwed the HEI right to the firewall

I also think the mopar electronic and points distributors use the same vacuum advance, cap and rotor, so if you just did a tuneup on your points dizzy, the parts will swap. Any mopar small block V8 electronic dizzy will fit from 73 to 89 as long as it has vac advance in it. some dont have vacuum advance because they are tied into a Computer with an electronic advance. Stay away from those.

Hope this helps
Matt

-
Back