• Didn't work for me

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Don't know enough to comment

Votes: 5 9.3%

• Total voters
-
Wow we are on Super Stock springs now. I’ll play. 9.82 back in the 1980’s when the word traction wasn’t invented yet. And we used junk parts

24198808717_3bee39cd1c_o.jpeg

IMG_2458.jpeg

I put Caltracs and split mono leafs on my Duster. However, it did have Lakewood 28" traction bars on it when I bought it years ago. Leaving the line it would pull the front end off the ground with stock springs. The previous owner had one of the U-bolts snap off during a launch. He went ahead and installed larger better and quality U-bolts, then welded more around the bars all around and put better pimp stops on them. Anybody looking to buy a used set I'll let them go for $50 plus shipping. Would be shipping from New Mexico.

Side View.png

Top View-1.png

Top View-2.png

Caltracs work, I have assassin bars but on my car they havent been tested yet.
slapper bars on 2 cars I had, I would say they were for looks lol not for function.
Charger and dart did better without slappy
Imo, ALL depends on the quality of the current springs on the car. T-bars would have helped my 40 year old slant six springs, my ss springs?.... not so much. (But ANYthing is better than a pinion snubber, worthless weight!).

Cal-tracs the spelling is probably off but it sounds like that anyway. They are better than regular traction bars. Also get a set of Super stock leaf springs and with your pinion snubber you will be close to a 4 link suspension system and do not forget street slicks. The traction you will get will be amazing!!!

Haviing raced since 1971, and with very little thought to what was happening at launch, i tried a number of things. Had i understood the math then, i may have come up with better solutions sooner. My first decent car was a charger with torqueflight, 440, 3000 stall, 4.30 gears, 28 x 9 slicks. Running 12.50s at 112 mph. A quick look at the math;
400 ft lb torque(?) X conerter (2xtorque) X 2.45 low x 4.30 rear gear equals 8428 ft pounds of force at the rear housing trying to twist the leafsprings. We needed serius shocks, and didn,t know it

Haviing raced since 1971, and with very little thought to what was happening at launch, i tried a number of things. Had i understood the math then, i may have come up with better solutions sooner. My first decent car was a charger with torqueflight, 440, 3000 stall, 4.30 gears, 28 x 9 slicks. Running 12.50s at 112 mph. A quick look at the math;
400 ft lb torque(?) X conerter (2xtorque) X 2.45 low x 4.30 rear gear equals 8428 ft pounds of force at the rear housing trying to twist the leafsprings. We needed serius shocks, and didn,t know it
Now days i have twice the torque hitting the rear housing, 17,000 ft lbs. Do the math of a 30 inch ladderbar, and the shocks have to control 6800 lbs of pull at the hit. That is 3400 EACH. I am on my fourth shock upgrade on the car with the same 30 inch ladderbars. A mopar spring has a 20 inch front half, partially dampened by the back half of the springs. So consider that when you think of shocks. Also rear shackle angle and length make a big differance. Unclamped springs change things. Sometimes it is better to just launch at a lower rpm, and suddenly you have posted the fastest 60 ft time ever! I do not consider myself an expert at this stuff. The real Pros are WAY ahead of me

I had my 70 Swinger on the road with 14 inch wheels and tires I had a set of lakewoods they seemed to help I remember the car hooked up but it was a 318 not a big power race engine or anything... I ran the pinion snubber also...:)

Last edited:

Sadly, most people still don’t grasp how important quality shocks are and how they affect tuning.

-
Back