POLL: Which is your favorite carb(s) of choice?

Which is your favorite carb(s) of choice?

• Holley

Votes: 166 46.6%
  • Carter OEM AFB/AVS

Votes: 43 12.1%
  • Edelbrock Performer (AFB/AVS)

Votes: 61 17.1%
  • ThermoQuad

Votes: 47 13.2%
  • Demon

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • Weber

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Summit brand

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Other (be specific! Include details)

Votes: 15 4.2%

• Total voters
-
Holley double pumper for street strip heavy hitters, the 3310 vacuum secondary carb for street stuff.

Oh yea man! My lowly 318 was a scream machine with the 600 DP, backed by a 4spd and 4.10's.
After my base plate broke, everybody wanted about a $180+ for it.
Wait a second here! I only paid $200 from Summit!
Yea, this is sometime ago.

Not having much money, I was loaned a AVS and prompt said OMG! And Incan get one and rebuild for less than $50!

Good by Holley!

Oh yea man! My lowly 318 was a scream machine with the 600 DP, backed by a 4spd and 4.10's.
After my base plate broke, everybody wanted about a $180+ for it.
Wait a second here! I only paid $200 from Summit!
Yea, this is sometime ago.

Not having much money, I was loaned a AVS and prompt said OMG! And Incan get one and rebuild for less than $50!

Good by Holley!

Spending coin ,own a carb nowadays is crazy. (3 bills minimum, new) I prefer used carbs if possible, on a budget.

The one not listed, Rochester Quadrajet, 358K miles daily driven on just one rebuild. Thirty (30) years old and still sucking gas like a champ.

Spending coin ,own a carb nowadays is crazy. (3 bills minimum, new) I prefer used carbs if possible, on a budget.

Same here, I won't spend more than 100 bucks on any carb, and I have many, that I buy kits for and just build them myself

Which is your favorite carb (or carbs) of choice? Vote in the poll and give some details on your reasoning in the thread!

Great Power, Great mpg, infinitely adjustable secondary air valve, change primary jetting and actuation with 2 screws from the top ( change rods and or springs).

Know I'm gonna catch flak for this, but had a 570 street avenger on my car, hated it, just didnt want to build power. And it wasn't a case of me not being able to tune because I had two guys (one of whom wouldnt even dare put an edelbrock on a car of his enemy) tune it and same disappointing results. Have had wwaayy more luck with eddies. With that said though, I'd love to try out a double pumper once I have a more fuel hungry engine.

Yep!

I just picked this up, I completely went through it a couple of days ago.

View attachment demon after.jpg

I don't know if it's a decent carb or not so I didn't throw a vote up. I have heard positive and negative comments about them. It's a 750 Speed Demon double pumper mechanical secondaries.

I voted holley.
Mostly because I don't have much luck with carders.

I really like a 650 or 700 DP on a hot small block.
I also like their new street demon series on a stock engine.
3310 is probably on of the most versitle carbs they ever made, going to mod one to use on my roots supercharger brand x project.

Yep!

I just picked this up, I completely went through it a couple of days ago.

View attachment 1714800203

I don't know if it's a decent carb or not so I didn't throw a vote up. I have heard positive and negative comments about them. It's a 750 Speed Demon double pumper mechanical secondaries.

I hope that is the "before" picture because the baseplate is on backwards.

DEMON for all out power HANDS DOWN! & AVS style 4BBL for street use & ease of tuning. Thermoquad when ever possable DONE! Only reason the TQ is last on my list is harder to find tuning parts for it,Sweet carb just not as much for it out there easy to get for it.

Quick Fuel best carb i ever bought..Demon=garbage thermo-bog throw em' in the trash..

Fish for simplicity and adjustabillity. Same carb works good on evrything from an 8 hp briggs to 350 v8

The one not listed, Rochester Quadrajet, 358K miles daily driven on just one rebuild. Thirty (30) years old and still sucking gas like a champ.

I did not list the Rochester as they are not considered a 'performance carburetor' in stock form by any stretch of the imagination....although I have read of a few companies out there that 'hot rod' them and really get them to perform well. That choice would be for the "OTHER" category.
Interesting to hear you've done well with yours. Got any specific tips or pics on that particular carb?

Gotchya. In that case, I am going to honestly answer. ....and this veers FAR off the beaten path.

My favorite carburetor to tune, build and run is the Predator. They are very versatile and can give from 390 all the way to 950 CFM with the same carburetor with zero mods to achieve it. Just slap it on and the engine uses what it demands. Too bad the company stopped making them. Their only drawback was hood clearance. They have a minimum of moving parts and gaskets and the models with the idle circuit actually run good on the street.

Another drawback is consistency. I used one on my Dakota for about a year and my et and mph was all over the place. Slapped on a holley problem went away. Everyone I know that raced with one ended up tossing it for a holley.

I did not list the Rochester as they are not considered a 'performance carburetor' in stock form by any stretch of the imagination....although I have read of a few companies out there that 'hot rod' them and really get them to perform well. That choice would be for the "OTHER" category.
Interesting to hear you've done well with yours. Got any specific tips or pics on that particular carb?

Not true. The QuadraJet is a good performance carb. As usual with GM, they had a great carb, but managed to snatch Defeat from the jaws of Victory by cheeping out once again. Tips would take a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyprof View Post
Fish for simplicity and adjustabillity. Same carb works good on evrything from an 8 hp briggs to 350 v8

LOL...the carb off my weedwacker works great on my blown fueler.........................

The Fish is a predecessor to the predator, and my dad DID run one on an 8 hp briggs and a wamed up 350, same carb.

Originally Posted by RustyRatRod
My favorite carburetor to tune, build and run is the Predator. They are very versatile and can give from 390 all the way to 950 CFM with the same carburetor with zero mods to achieve it. Just slap it on and the engine uses what it demands. Too bad the company stopped making them. Their only drawback was hood clearance. They have a minimum of moving parts and gaskets and the models with the idle circuit actually run good on the street.

Mine is bone stock as is the motor as well with the exception of an alum. intake. I drilled 4 one inch holes in the back side of the air cleaner and use a K&N air filter to make sure it gets all the air the motor wants to pull thru it, the 4 holes was a bit much as you can hear the secondaries a mile away LOL.
There ARE some performance mods you can do or just get one from a BB motor (850 cfm?), one simple trick to increase CFM is to bend the little pin that limits the secondary opening but be prepared for an onslaught of air...bog. I have seen where a few people, mainly dirt track racers will put a screw in the linkage slot to make the secondaires open faster. I think the first thing I would do though is to run a much looser torque convertor to get the RPMs up higher to handle that huge gulp of air/fuel.
The only other maintenance I do to mine is to kick it in the *** a couple times a week to keep everything working, I love that sound LOL.

Not true. The QuadraJet is a good performance carb. As usual with GM, they had a great carb, but managed to snatch Defeat from the jaws of Victory by cheeping out once again. Tips would take a while...

Now, don't get your hackles up......I did not mean to imply that the QJ can't or won't perform. Only that in high performance circles, it's not usually used or recommended....i.e. "considered a performance carb".
From the poll so far, the results are what I expected...."HOLLEY=PERFORMANCE" in the minds of most performance enthusiasts.
I'm intrigued to hear some of the 'other' guys and their takes on hopping up the 'other guy' carbs....yourself included!

OEM Carter, butter smooth idle, rock solid tune and smooth power through the secondaries. I never got a Holley to perform on a street like a Carter (street car, im talking grocery getter and cruises) Strip would have to be a Holley as they are tuneable to the Nth degree by very patient users. Carters sound different too. My high school 340 had a TQ on it and I never messed with it, strong performer but the support is hard to find. Had bad luck with my one and only Demon, QC issues. Predator just sucked gas, like 5 mpg on a cammed 351C. Holley 1920...it just works! Least favorite carb? My weed whackers Walbro bulb! friggin thing never starts...

-
Back