POLL: Which is your favorite carb(s) of choice?

Which is your favorite carb(s) of choice?

• Holley

Votes: 166 46.6%
  • Carter OEM AFB/AVS

Votes: 43 12.1%
  • Edelbrock Performer (AFB/AVS)

Votes: 61 17.1%
  • ThermoQuad

Votes: 47 13.2%
  • Demon

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • Weber

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Summit brand

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Other (be specific! Include details)

Votes: 15 4.2%

• Total voters
-
Now, don't get your hackles up......I did not mean to imply that the QJ can't or won't perform. Only that in high performance circles, it's not usually used or recommended....i.e. "considered a performance carb".
From the poll so far, the results are what I expected...."HOLLEY=PERFORMANCE" in the minds of most performance enthusiasts.
I'm intrigued to hear some of the 'other' guys and their takes on hopping up the 'other guy' carbs....yourself included!

No hackles up. If you get a good QJ they are easy to get to run well. Ditch the plastic float and get a brass one. Epoxy the two plugs on the bottom of the bowl. Up the primary jets by .003. Put Corvette secondary rods with the small tips on the hangers and tune. They also have a spring loaded secondary air valve, so infinite adjustment, no parts to buy, and no power valve to blow. "Adjust" the air bleed tubes to 1 inch. Rochester Carbs by Doug Roe is very informative if you want to get into QJ carbs. The "Performance =Holley" mentality has always been around. I've run them all, I won't have one, they are not worth the hassles, especially on the street. I don't throw them away though, you can always get money for them.

Three two barrel webbers with 6 stacks spitting fire, no hood, all clean and chromed.

1050 Dominator.

Wow...that's a pretty open-ended statement!
An Elephant-Quad like that wouldn't run worth a damn on any kind of street machine, much less a small-block.
What are you running it on, and what would you run on a normal street-strip or bracket racer?

Been there. Im not saying its impossible to find, Im just saying if your tossing theories around the beer tent at a car show and you bring up a Thermoquad issue, people look at you like your speaking Swahili, and promptly tell you to get a Holley. Heck, I got 2 of them on my wall right now, ready to go along with an AVS, 2 Nikkis, a Holley Ecomizer 4bbl and 2 Holley 1850's. I like carbs...but am building a turbo Throttle body EFI at the moment.

Been there. Im not saying its impossible to find, Im just saying if your tossing theories around the beer tent at a car show and you bring up a Thermoquad issue, people look at you like your speaking Swahili, and promptly tell you to get a Holley.

That's one of the things that intrigues me about the TQ....

holley carb fuel catch can (i made one out of a brake clean can)

11bhDR4nh-L.jpg

Been there. Im not saying its impossible to find, Im just saying if your tossing theories around the beer tent at a car show and you bring up a Thermoquad issue, people look at you like your speaking Swahili, and promptly tell you to get a Holley

Their not called Thermo-bogs for nothing..

Their not called Thermo-bogs for nothing..

People who call them "ThermoBogs" or "Thermo-Junk" absolutely do not know how to tune them.
The spreadbore design is not only extremely economical under normal driving conditions, but has a monstrous sewer-pipe capacity when on the secondaries. The beauty of the TQ is that the secondaries will only feed what the engine demands, but unlike a VS Holley, the secondary air valve is actually a variable venturi which increases vacuum flow across the secondary nozzles the further the door opens. The smaller (1-3/8) primary versions can flow up to 800 cfm and the larger primary (1-1/2) flows up to 850 cfm. Secondary air door is spring tension settable which allows you to tailor-tune resistance to your engine airflow demands. The only excuse for having a "bog" is ignorance on how to tune these babies....and not knowing how tunable they actually are.
Unlike many performance carbs (which are modified street versions), the ThermoQuad was designed first as an off-road/track performance carb, not a street carb with the CS Series carbs (Competition Series) flowing at 1000 cfm. These are rare as hen's teeth these days but the early 340 TQ's can be made to run as well as the CS series with very little tuning and maintain excellent street manners and economy....until you tromp on it.
Actually, I like the "Plastic Fantastic" nickname better.....

Don't get me wrong....I grew up wrenching on and tuning Holleys and love them for their straight-forward no-nonsense approach to tuning, but like all carbs, they have their caveats.
I just don't like when a carb design is looked down upon because of what it's NOT, rather than what it IS. The TQ is worthy of the same interest as the Holleys, Demon or Eddie carbs are and is a hands-down better performer than the AFB or AVS ever were.
Don't write off a potential powerhouse because of some stupid ignoramus nickname.

My choice is not there....the one holding a door open....1940 called....they want there technology back....

No hackles up. If you get a good QJ they are easy to get to run well. Ditch the plastic float and get a brass one. Epoxy the two plugs on the bottom of the bowl. Up the primary jets by .003. Put Corvette secondary rods with the small tips on the hangers and tune. They also have a spring loaded secondary air valve, so infinite adjustment, no parts to buy, and no power valve to blow. "Adjust" the air bleed tubes to 1 inch. Rochester Carbs by Doug Roe is very informative if you want to get into QJ carbs. The "Performance =Holley" mentality has always been around. I've run them all, I won't have one, they are not worth the hassles, especially on the street. I don't throw them away though, you can always get money for them.

This I like. I've seen very nice as-removed QJ's going for 20 bucks at swap meets. People take 'em off and chuck 'em in the recycle bin and bolt on a Holley. This guy knows how to mod 'em and make them burn.
That, my friends, is Hot Rod ingenuity.

The TQ is worthy of the same interest as the Holleys, Demon or Eddie carbs are and is a hands-down better performer than the AFB or AVS ever were.
Don't write off a potential powerhouse because of some stupid ignoramus nickname.

From a PERFORMANCE standpoint they're garbage..go to the track and try to find one guy who seriously races using a thermo-bog lucky if you can(unless they're running a certain class specified)..and i can tune carb/engine just fine..

From a PERFORMANCE standpoint they're garbage..go to the track and try to find one guy who seriously races using a thermo-bog lucky if you can(unless they're running a certain class specified)..and i can tune carb/engine just fine..

So you fall into the HOLLEY=PERFORMANCE category, I take it?
I have no argument against the whole Holley issue. They are a great, user-friendly, easy to tune carb that, if tuned correctly, you can squeeze a whole lotta ponies out of. I love my double pumper.
That being said, I think the reason nobody "seriously races using a Thermo(quad)" is because those people don't understand, are afraid of, or are too lazy to learn the attributes of the TQ.
I'm sure you can tune a carb/engine and I have no doubt you can probably tune a Holley better than a TQ. They are tuner/user-friendly. What I take exception to is writing off the TQ as a "piece of junk". It's not. Ask anyone who has learned how to tune one.
Were the ones you dealt with in the past the early performance models/CS series, or the later (post-'75) 'emissions carbs'? There is a difference.

For a catch can to drain bowls on a holley I use a coke can I cut in half with a pocket knife.

gets the job done

I usually use a quart plastic oil container, slice one side open, myself...

I think this is better because you can easily dump the gas back into the tank.

Now if they only made a tool to dump it back into the vents.

I think the reason nobody "seriously races using a Thermo(quad)" is because those people don't understand, are afraid of, or are too lazy to learn the attributes of the TQ

No its because they actually want to Win..

Yo stroked!!! Take this post lightly if you can. Don't flip out to much. Take a breath before you reply. Not everybody here is out to win the race. Compete. Sometimes, they just wanna have fun.

From a PERFORMANCE stand point, there fine. As good as a Holley or Rochester.
The problem here is that you scream Holley and will point to any Holley other than stock equipment up to and including the most expensive race carb. As if it was equal to the OE Holley.
This is a blurring of the line which can not be crossed by other manufacturers of carbs.
From a RACE stand point the Holley carb is what you want of course. But which one?
A lot of that answer is "How much coin is in ones pocket."

No its because they actually want to Win..
This rebuttal is not accurate ether. If you payed attention to the stats and read the choices made by the racers at the tracks you would not be saying that. A list is available as to what winning racer used for there carb. The TQ has made (rarely) the winners circle. And not in a class that demands it.

Now we all know that your a Holley only lover. Do you really need to constantly come back and muddy up a thread with child like taunts and tantrums of repeating yourself? I did think you were an adult at one point but I am starting to suspect (as well as others here) that your just another child that has a car. How can you argue when you yourself prove this over and over again in public postings.

If you really want to help, then state your preference and then be a good fella and dive into a lite detail on the specific carb model/number/set up and mods. After all, your here to help the fellow MoPar brothers and sisters here right?

All right Stroked, thanks for taking a breath before you replied and take it easy bud. I know that your a goodfella.

-
Back