Poly crankshaft in 273?

-

Benjamin Franklin

Reaction score
Can you put a poly crank in a 273? Im going to save a 273 empty block. Can I but any leftover 1965 318 poly parts in it?

Yes, it's physically a bolt in deal.....as long as it's the "later" poly 318 and not the earlier ones.

back in the day, mopar wanted you to install 318 poly crank in 273, as it was nitrated, i think the balance was very close as both used same rod. the piston/rod combo's were same weight. prob reblance though. this would be the 62 and later poly cranks.

back in the day, mopar wanted you to install 318 poly crank in 273, as it was nitrated, i think the balance was very close as both used same rod. the piston/rod combo's were same weight. prob reblance though. this would be the 62 and later poly cranks.
Thanks for that. I couldn't remember the cutoff year from early to late.

From what I've seen, the early A100's with a 273 had a 318 poly forged crank in them for the 727 transmission big button converter that came in the A100.

Better plan on balancing it.

According to Hot Rod Magazine's tech article on the new 273 back in 64, Chrysler gave the 273 an extra thick piston pin to make the 273's piston/pin the same weight as a 318 poly, thus they balance the same. Now I've never tried it myself, so can't personally vouch for that info.

Edit: and of course, aftermarket replacement 273 pistons may or may not have those extra heavy pins.

According to Hot Rod Magazine's tech article on the new 273 back in 64, Chrysler gave the 273 an extra thick piston pin to make the 273's piston/pin the same weight as a 318 poly, thus they balance the same. Now I've never tried it myself, so can't personally vouch for that info.

Edit: and of course, aftermarket replacement 273 pistons may or may not have those extra heavy pins.

They also have those real heavy pins.

-
Back