Poor self inflicted SOB.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
So my neighbor has an early 80’s Olds that when he found out I have a welder asked if I would put hydraulics on his car for him.
I told him it was way more complicated and involved than he thought it was, and I really didn’t have the time or resources for such a project.
(Actually I really didn’t want to be involved or possibly held responsible either)

I told him if it were my car that I would fix the motor first, as it is so worn out and tired that it has only ever run on 7 cylinders.
It constantly oil fouls plugs and sure acts like some bad valves.
The oil pressure is so low he had to put STP oil treatment in it just to get the lifters to shut up.

So what does he do?
He pays some guy he doesn’t know 5k to put hydraulics on it, then goes out and buys brand new 13 inch whitewalls and brand new white wheels and knock offs.

The guy that did the hydraulics did a **** job.
It’s lacking structural support capable of supporting the car and makes really nasty metal to metal contact scraping sounds when the hydraulics cycle.
At this point he is afraid to use the new hydraulics, or even drive the car as some of it may actually rip through the trunk floor which the guy cut some of it out for some reason.
His super loud sub works good though. :D

Some people’s kids.
Bless his heart
Or whatever saying may also fit.

I feel sorry for him, but not to the point of wanting to have any involvement in this train wreck.

I loan him jacks, stands and tools, but that’s the extent of my involvement.

So my neighbor has an early 80’s Olds that when he found out I have a welder asked if I would put hydraulics on his car for him.
I told him it was way more complicated and involved than he thought it was, and I really didn’t have the time or resources for such a project.
(Actually I really didn’t want to be involved or possibly held responsible either)

I told him if it were my car that I would fix the motor first, as it is so worn out and tired that it has only ever run on 7 cylinders.
The oil pressure is so low he had to put STP oil treatment in it just to get the lifters to shut up.

So what does he do?
He pays some guy he doesn’t know 5k to put hydraulics on it, then goes out and buys brand new 13 inch whitewalls and brand new white wheels and knock offs.

It’s lacking structural support capable of supporting the car and makes really nasty metal to metal contact scraping sounds when the hydraulics cycle.
At this point he is afraid to use the new hydraulics, or even drive the car as some of it may actually rip through the trunk floor which the guy cut some of it out for some reason.

Some people’s kids.
Bless his heart

I feel sorry for him, but not to the point of wanting to have any involvement in this train wreck.

I understand what you're saying. He's put the cart before the horse

It sounds like he has a screwed up sense of priorities.
Good on you to not help him out with his car other than lending him tools once in awhile.

People will put fog lights on their cars before doing a much needed oil change.

☆☆☆☆☆

Life is a test, that he has to figure out how to pass on his own.

If you help him, it's like cheating on his test.

Then you will be punished indirectly for helping, as the saying goes:

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

☆☆☆☆☆

Somewhere long about 1975, there was a girl in our town just barely or maybe barely not 18, has a 67 or so Chevelle. One day I encountered her and she wanted to know who could and what it would cost to put a front axle under her car

I finally got out of her that she wanted to jack it up and 4x4. "How much would it cost?"

I said "you have maybe 15, 20 grand?"

Last I saw the car it still had the stock front suspension, LOL

I would steer as far away from that "Dumpster Fire" as humanly possible. Can we say "Liability", that is a sure fire disaster just waiting to happen!!!

Last edited:
How old was the guy that wanted you to help with his monstrosity?

It seems as though he came to you first? He may value your knowledge and look up to you?

I can definitely understand your hesitation to help him but maybe you can put him on the right path, Maybe not.

One thing I know is there are lots of kinks in the car world and we like what we like.

It sucks to flamed for what you like just because the flamethrower does not like what you are doing.

We are all car people and need to stick together at some point.

Maybe you can bring the guy around to what you are seeing but some people are not mechanical and will never get it.

There is my two pennies'.

So what does he do?

Some people’s kids.
Bless his heart

I am pretty handy around the house. I can do carpentry, wiring, plumbing, sheetrock, etc.. I will always help friends with things. EXCEPT I do have one firm rule. I will not touch wiring or plumbing at a house other than my own. Too much potential liability. I might help a good friend with something simple, but that is it.

How old was the guy that wanted you to help with his monstrosity?

It seems as though he came to you first? He may value your knowledge and look up to you?

I can definitely understand your hesitation to help him but maybe you can put him on the right path, Maybe not.

One thing I know is there are lots of kinks in the car world and we like what we like.

It sucks to flamed for what you like just because the flamethrower does not like what you are doing.

We are all car people and need to stick together at some point.

Maybe you can bring the guy around to what you are seeing but some people are not mechanical and will never get it.

There is my two pennies'.
I help him all the time with pretty much anything else but just loan him the tools and show him how to do whatever it is.
He is always grateful for the help, and is always there if I need anything he can help with.

He’s in his 40’s, married and has two kids.
I’ve known him for 10 years or more and he is always willing to learn.
He’s a good guy.

No pics? Lame.

No permission.

So what does he do?

Some people’s kids.
Bless his heart

I tip my hat to you for continuing to help him, despite his efforts to ignore your advice and do things backwards.

While the hack job was being done on his ride, was he getting teeth grillz installed in his mouth?

-
Back