Portable heaters.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for a portable heater to heat my car shelter.Kind of don't want to spent more than 100 Canadian.Electric prefer d I know it going to be hard to heat seeing there is no insulation.TSC has a buddy heater eighteen thousand btu for 99 bucks. I just dont know.So your thoughts are needed.

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 545
Don I don't know if it will help you any, but is there a propane or natural gas source anywhere close?

Just a thought.

Electric? I would get oil filled, they still have residual heat when they shut off . Nat gas or propane just be sure you have enough ventilation, They may be risky if you have gasoline fumes.

Electric? I would get oil filled, they still have residual heat when they shut off . Nat gas or propane just be sure you have enough ventilation, They may be risky if you have gasoline fumes.

Ya I dont like gas or oil, pane, electric is way safer,I only need heat for a few hours each time.

I have a duraheat kerosene heater 170000 btu I will cut lose for $200 but ya gotta come get it. I used it two years to heat my un insulated garage 28x36. Also runs on diseal but I never used anything but kerosene.

The kerosene heater worked for me. This fuel burns pretty clean requiring a minimum of fresh air to keep the headaches away.
If you burn diesel in it, it needs a lot more fresh air.

You can also get the kind that screws onto your propane BBQ tank. A pair of those will warm it up in a hurry. Plus they have the radiant reflectors on top. Just one will blow the budget tho....

18000 BTU is going to need a fair amount of power and you won't run that on 120V. any electric is basically 3.4 BTU per watt so 18000 is around 5000 watts which at 220V is a nominally 20A - 25A draw. You could do that with a no10 or larger extension cord off something like a dryer or welder outlet, but again, that would have to be 220V

I use a little infrared electric heater or two. Keeps the edge off and once I get working, I'm usually in shirt sleeves anyway.
I made a little tray and I keep my tools where the air warms them. Takes the bite out.

I have a duraheat kerosene heater 170000 btu I will cut lose for $200 but ya gotta come get it. I used it two years to heat my un insulated garage 28x36. Also runs on diseal but I never used anything but kerosene.

Ok i am on my way .:D

The kerosene heater worked for me. This fuel burns pretty clean requiring a minimum of fresh air to keep the headaches away.
If you burn diesel in it, it needs a lot more fresh air.

You can also get the kind that screws onto your propane BBQ tank. A pair of those will warm it up in a hurry. Plus they have the radiant reflectors on top. Just one will blow the budget tho....

I am prone to headaches so kerosene is out.

18000 BTU is going to need a fair amount of power and you won't run that on 120V. any electric is basically 3.4 BTU per watt so 18000 is around 5000 watts which at 220V is a nominally 20A - 25A draw. You could do that with a no10 or larger extension cord off something like a dryer or welder outlet, but again, that would have to be 220V

YA your right,in the add i just notice the 220v cord,DOH.Thanks.

We did well in uninsulated buildings with box store oil filled radiator style electric heaters - except where it was a cathedral cieling (two stories open).
However they are very slow - turn them on at least an hour or two before you need them, and the floor or in your case ground will be very slow in responding.

True radiant heaters work best when there is direct line of sight from heat source to objects/people you want heated. Great when you really don't want to heat the air and/or have large space.

I use a 30K BTU canister style propane heater. It heats my big 2 car garage quickly, like 15 minutes on medium high, so i can get away with periodically shutting it off. More heat= less running time=less headaches.

Attachments

• shinerich-srch21011-propane-convection-outdoor-heater-l.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 387
I think the infrared heaters (120V) are the way to go because they are economical; fairly cheap (if you find them on sale, and they don't emit fumes that could irritate you plus damage paint. The casing on the heaters does not get hot so fires and blistered paint, etc. should not be an issue either. It may take a couple of them to heat the area because of lack of insulation. Maybe some old blamnlet and wrapping with plastic may also help.

I think the infrared heaters (120V) are the way to go because they are economical; fairly cheap (if you find them on sale, and they don't emit fumes that could irritate you plus damage paint. The casing on the heaters does not get hot so fires and blistered paint, etc. should not be an issue either. It may take a couple of them to heat the area because of lack of insulation. Maybe some old blamnlet and wrapping with plastic may also help.

Well I am leaning to the infrared heaters, funny you say insulate with blankets I thought the same thing.:cheers:

-
Back