ported heads

-

nesse

Reaction score
how much cfm, max ported edel-rpm heads and hp, the heads out of the box power said 475 hp...?

Not sure what the question is? Maybe you could type out a couple of complete sentences? It would make your questions easier to answer.

I see "out of the box power" so I guess you're asking how much power OOTB Eddy's can make? If you are building a small block, Hughes Engines says their prepped Eddy heads will support 525 hp. For big blocks, they say their prepped Eddy's will support 627 hp. Fully ported small block heads could probably handle 700+ if ported correctly. That kind of porting is going to cost a ton though. And this is all assuming the rest of the engine is built accordingly.

My mildly and i stress the term mildly ported Edelbrocks help pump out 520 h.p. and 500 lbs or tq. from my 416..there are guys running in the nines with highly ported ones...i'm very happy with the performance i've gotten from them,and would not hesitate buying another set for another build,i certainly won't be going back to iron heads...

ok, i'm looked on the hughes prept 525hp it's okej but fully ported stage 3, can that realy is thrue because it's not much material to port in , and the pushrod bump can i just smoth it out litle so what are the secret about that to get 525hp and more...

Each stage listed is a minor move towards a full job. The port layout is preety good to start with and it is not exactly a stock port or the amount of material behind it ethier. Porting to high levels requires a bit of port enlargement so your going to have to know where your OK to remove material and not. Fullu ported Edelbrock heads flow around the 300+ cfm area. This is a highly hogged out head. The port size becomes big after this much porting and should be used on a large cubic inch engine or a very serious high RPM scream machine.

Smoothing out the pushrod pinch is a good move. There is a tool on the market that can be seen in the mag. Mopar Muscle that will tell you how much of the wall is left on the pinch rod pinch.

This area of the head is probably the second most gained area in flow, right after the bowl is ported. Be careful here or someone will be welding it up for you.

A bowl porting and some pushrod pinch removal is enough for much power. The secrect to such power levels besides the head porting is cam, compresion coupled with cubic inchs.

If you can, contact ethier OU812 (Brain) or Shadydell speed shop in Pa. for port work. Shadydell only does small block Mopars. http://www.shadydellspeedshop.com/

Ryan j. is the man when it comes to small block heads he'll be getting mine when i figure out how fast i want to go..

just got mine back from Ryan. I went with the stage three to go on the soon to be built 11.2/1 416" . The head work is amazing

had a couple set done by jeff at Modern cylinder heads...CNC...

The eddy head is one of the most difficult heads to port correctly I've ever done...and I port Ford heads so that tells you something..LOL!

Managing the airspeed in the port is the hardest thing to do. On a max port head we tube the head bolt hole, max out the roof, pushrod pinch, bowl, ascending wall, and reshape the shortturn alot. Then you need a good valve job and chamber work. The intake valve should be at least 2.055 and 12° back head angle and you should use a back cut on the valve...maybe 30-33°.
It takes me about 18-20 hours of porting to get 295-298cfm out of them. And I've had other porters heads on my bench and none of them have went 300cfm...
Brian

ok, like to hear that numbers, comp cams want the engine "builders" ( i mean you and me) have ported heads and single plane intake for xe295hl cam so i wanted to hear with people on fabo.
Thanks for info.
have a nice day

Now theres some good word from Brain about the heads. Personally, getting a head to go up from the advertised flow numbers, 40 cfm is a whole lotta work, never mind 40+ cfm. I have no idea about the finer points of porting heads to this level or the nature of the beast. I just read alot and take what I read about there flow with a grain of salt.

There flow bench said this, his sez that, another bench says there both full of it, etc...

The important thing about heads and the work done on them is;

the increase over the base line they took or know from there own bench on the work they did to it and;

A broad curve, not just a skyward ramp for launching rockets

just got mine back from Ryan. I went with the stage three to go on the soon to be built 11.2/1 416" . The head work is amazing

It'll be interesting to hear what those stage 3's make for power on your 416..my mildly worked Edelbrocks made 520 h.p. and 500 tq. on my 416..Ryan will be getting mine when its time to go faster..

RyanJ ported my Eddy’s with his stage II port job (beautiful work!). He said he concentrated most of his effort on the intake port. Here are the flow #’s:

LIFT--IN/EX
.100"--63.0/NA
.200"--137.9/98.2
.300"--191.6/141.9
.400"--243.8/171.9
.450"--262.2/181.5
.500"--281.3/188.4
.550"--289.8/193.8
.600"--292.9/196.6
.650"--292.9/199.9
.700"--292.9/202.1

the edelbrock rpm kit : carb 750cfm, heads, intake, cam,
1.3/4 headers shoud give you 420hp, i read on net and the heads can give you max 475hp, it's 50hp for "free" gain with right cam so why not if you are a racer. So what comp cams mean about heads when it comes to ported for xe295hl is it stock 1.88 valves they mean and go for 2.02 valve and port work or is it enough with edel-heads and that valve job its' realy done...!?...Huu...feel dizzy now

I think what you are reading is the recommended associated parts for the XE295HL cam. What the HL means is the high lift, which will only benefit you if your heads are ported (flow well enough to use the extra lift without going turbulent). The Edelbrock heads out of the box flow well, but too get everything out of that cam you should port the heads….I think that was what you were asking.

I think what you are reading is the recommended associated parts for the XE295HL cam. What the HL means is the high lift, which will only benefit you if your heads are ported (flow well enough to use the extra lift without going turbulent). The Edelbrock heads out of the box flow well, but too get everything out of that cam you should port the heads.I think that was what you were asking.

Yes...i like the rpm range on this hl-cam 3-6800, do you think the heads are going to hold back power with that cam, vicktor jr and 850dp ?

We are now selling Eddy heads setup like our RHS heads with 8mm Ferrea valves, beehive spring kit, 2.055 intake valve with a back cut and a chamber unshroud cut.
PM for pricing and availability. I also have porting packages based on customer needs available.
These will have our valve job/surface cut, guide hone, seals and be ready to run with 65cc chambers. There's a small charge for smaller chamber sizes down to 58cc.
Brian

IMO, you want to be careful when buying "by numbers". OOTB the RPMs are around 230 depending on the factory valve job... the quality of which can vary greatly seat to seat. The way I install them they are closer to 245-255 which is basically gasket matching the intake side and blending about 1 1/2" into the port, or what most sops consider "stage 1". Core shift and the CNC finishing of Edelbrock can leave some "uglies".

i allready done "stage 1".
These single valve spring "beehive" can they realy handle high rpm like 6800rpm..?

i allready done "stage 1".
These single valve spring "beehive" can they realy handle high rpm like 6800rpm..?

I've taken mine to 7000 or better...as far as flow numbers my Edelbrocks flowed .256 intake/.193 exhaust with a mild port job..

comp cams whant you (and me) to have dubble springs with that cam and the inner spring of when do the brake in process, and then put inner back again, with "beehive" you don't need dubble springs and are ready to go for dyno pull... If i understand right !?

Beehive springs have several good things about them. The two biggest are the design eliminates the tendency for bad harmonics to develop in the spring coils are lower rpms, and secondary is the weight of the retainer and locks used. This is partially why the flat dampeners are stuck in performance springs... it delays the hramonics and raises the rpm ability of a given spring. So the design allows for a single coil to do the valve control over a wider range of rpms. It does not remove the danger of a heavy spring damaging the cam lobe during break in. However, you can use more lash, care in assembly and pre-firing routine, and run the break in oils, and a lower rocker ratio to help the lifter and lobe wear together safely. If you chose to run a roller cam of any type it doesnt matter about the break in procedures. None are needed.

-
Back