Ported my Super Victor today

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Well this is the 4th one I've done and by far the worst one, out of the box. Man you'd think Eddy could at least get close. This one couldn't even be bolted to "teener" heads.

I put my cigs next to the pile to show a size comparison. This is what my shop vac MISSED!

Ever hear of anyone just bolting one on?
20170216_152128.jpg

Are they that bad usually? In the market for a single plane and was thing either the super Victor or the Indy. Have a opinion either way?

Are they that bad usually? In the market for a single plane and was thing either the super Victor or the Indy. Have a opinion either way?
Yes they're that bad, victor as well. You might even have to weld them up at the port windows because they can be so far off end to end.

Yes they're that bad, victor as well. You might even have to weld them up at the port windows because they can be so far off end to end.

True. Sometimes they have to be welded to get them sorted out.

It's worse when you start porting the rest of the intake.

is this common on big blocks manifolds as well? i already have a victor intake for rb and am just curious since it wont be till spring that i get out in the garage to mock all the new parts up

is this common on big blocks manifolds as well? i already have a victor intake for rb and am just curious since it wont be till spring that i get out in the garage to mock all the new parts up

I haven't had to weld a BB Victor yet, but the last one I did was close to needing it. Took a butt load of work to make it work.

My Victor 340 was horrible, I have several hours in just port matching.

My Victor 340 was horrible, I have several hours in just port matching.
Correct. No one should buy a Victor 340 and expect to bolt it up to a 340/360 head without porting, as the ports are 318 size OOTB. But that too has it's advantages.

Can you show pictures please..thinking of buying one for my current build..

Correct. No one should buy a Victor 340 and expect to bolt it up to a 340/360 head without porting, as the ports are 318 size OOTB. But that too has it's advantages.

Mind saying what benefit you found with the runner smaller than the port?

In all my testing, if we left the port small we lost power. If the intake was the same size, or even slightly bigger, we made more power.

The divider walls were offset on the last one. Edelbrock makes ****, they've never been that great with castings. The stuff they do ok with is stuff that flys off the shelf...like Chevy parts and dual plane intakes and even those need milling half the time because of being tapered or sitting too high/thick flange

In all my testing, if we left the port small we lost power. If the intake was the same size, or even slightly bigger, we made more power.

Velocity can really count in this area, a lot of times the port matched better flowing victor, and I mean by 20's cfm better ' not even hogged' ...the dual plane made more . Now thats with a 296 duration and under 6500 rpm... nothing crazy and nothing stock.
I give it to velocity.
What were the ports flow characteristics?

It isn't significantly smaller than a 318 port. You're a clever guy. Think about it for awhile. I bet you can come up the your own reasons. If it still escapes you, I will then explain it.

Can you show pictures please..thinking of buying one for my current build..

If you mean the 340 Victor, here.

1) 340 gasket on 318 gasket
2) 318 gasket on Victor 340
3) 340 gasket on Victor 340

Victor 340 003.jpg
Victor 340 001.jpg
Victor 340 002.jpg

The Super Victor intake is not meant to be run OOTB. It is a race part that needs fitted to its application.

Velocity can really count in this area, a lot of times the matched better flowing victor, and I mean by 20's cfm better ' not even hogged' ...the dual plane made more . Now thats with a 296 duration and under 6500 rpm... nothing crazy and nothing stock.

I didn't spend a bunch of time testing, but when checking local velocity when the intake is smaller than the head I have seen zero flow for almost an inch past the port. On a screwed up Ford I was trying to fix the air at the flange actually went back into the runner at certain lifts and tests pressures.

I've never seen that with a correct match or the intake bigger than the port in the head.

That's what I've seen.

I didn't spend a bunch of time testing, but when checking local velocity when the intake is smaller than the head I have seen zero flow for almost an inch past the port.

What have you seen for velocity change with a perfectly matched port? I'm assuming zero? And what would you expect the power difference to be between these two scenarios?

The Super Victor intake is not meant to be run OOTB. It is a race part that needs fitted to its application.
Bingo. When you end up sloting the holes to move the manifold back and forth to center the ports dividing walls and then open it to the port window and deeper into the runner..ha ..definitely not bolt on for a 340/360, even smaller 318 port I would be checking/correcting.

Last edited:
I didn't spend a bunch of time testing, but when checking local velocity when the intake is smaller than the head I have seen zero flow for almost an inch past the port. On a screwed up Ford I was trying to fix the air at the flange actually went back into the runner at certain lifts and tests pressures.

I've never seen that with a correct match or the intake bigger than the port in the head.

That's what I've seen.
It is more about allowing You to control the port alignment, height, and approach contours based on the particular heads You are dealing with. It is better to start small & work
your way to what you want than to try & fix it when it is wrong, and only adding material will fix it. Welding is time consuming, and epoxy eventually starts chipping around the
edges over time, so.............................

What have you seen for velocity change with a perfectly matched port? I'm assuming zero? And what would you expect the power difference to be between these two scenarios?

If the intake is bigger than the port, there is some reduction in air speed right at the mismatch, but it was minimal. When the intake is smaller, you can see 280-300 FPS at .500 in the port. At the flange I have seen zero.

I didn't spend nearly enough time sorting stuff out for velocity and I wish I had. Thinking of buying another bench so I don't have to drive 3 hours to test anything. If I do, I will certainly spend more time with air speed measurement, because IMHO, controlling air speed and direction is 90% of the battle.

It is more about allowing You to control the port alignment, height, and approach contours based on the particular heads You are dealing with. It is better to start small & work
your way to what you want than to try & fix it when it is wrong, and only adding material will fix it. Welding is time consuming, and epoxy eventually starts chipping around the
edges over time, so.............................
Yeah I think we all know this and I certainly agree. But ya know what? .....They could do better. Maybe they should grab a SV off their shelf and lay it on a pair of their heads.

Bottom line is they know we need them, they know we will fix their crap, so why make production even costlier?.
Let's face it. You wanna make some power with a single plane you better invest in a couple quality carbide burrs.....and it sure ain't just "gasket matching" either. Make sure your burrs are long shank.

-
Back