Porting DC Stage IV iron heads

-
I had hoped that someday a set of your high effort ported iron heads would end up at my shop for one reason or another. But I guess if the number of units in circulation is “zero”, the chances of that happening are mighty slim.

I understand, and yeah, that's funny. Another reason for a $5,100 price tag. 'Cause like my plan was always to give that design away. I think I'll have my son bury all the STG V and 906 heads with me.

I think your misinterpreting my desire to see one of those heads.
I’d just like to see what it did on my bench.
It’s really simple curiosity on my part.
I have no desire whatsoever to try and duplicate that amount of work on some old iron heads.
Through the years I’ve had the chance to test all kinds of really nice heads other shops have done.
The really high effort stuff is not a market I’m going after.
I’m more of a “the most for the least” kinda guy.
I like the good bang for the buck jobs.

This summer I freshened up a pretty high effort set of NHRA legal SS 906’s.
Lots of time and work invested by whoever did them initially. Car runs good, heads flow nice.
I’m happy to service them, but am not at all interested in trying to duplicate them.

Cause like my plan was always to give that design away. I think I'll have my son bury all the STG V and 906 heads with me.
Is it possible that maybe a small part of the $5100 price tag was that you didn’t really want anyone to get their hands on a set of those heads?
If you sold a set, then what happened with them and who saw them would be out of your control.

Is it possible that maybe a small part of the $5100 price tag was that you didn’t really want anyone to get their hands on a set of those heads?
If you sold a set, then what happened with them and who saw them would be out of your control.
Possible? Without a doubt for sure!

When the FAST thing was at its peak I had a couple of people call about having some “max effort, best of the best” type heads done.
I turned those jobs down........ it sounded like a lot of extra time that would have been difficult to get paid for.

Sounds like a good idea to scan those 340 cfm ports and convert them to an NC file for CNC porting. That might bring the price down to a level where people can afford them.

Sounds like a good idea to scan those 340 cfm ports and convert them to an NC file for CNC porting. That might bring the price down to a level where people can afford them.

Watch out, baptism of fire awaits comments like these. Lol

You bet your bunghole I'd sell my port profile to an NC for 50k. Let me know I'll start working them sumbitches to swish cheese

I can get huge numbers out of a 906. Its laid back more than half the port length...

Nine years ago I looked into it. That was when we had test ports in Edelbrock RPM and Stealth heads flowing in the 350 cfm range. For me the cost was prohibitive and I was unconvinced that the program would remain proprietary.

I play the Lotto once every coupla months, if I hit it, we'll spend the $280,000 to get our own 5 axis.

Thank you for the suggestion. However a tracer mill is not quite sophisticated enough. But hang around, this is a fun place!
New or used CNC machine at $280K?

Too bad nobody took one of those great heads that Iq or Dwayne did and create a CNC program as to more readily duplicate at a more affordable price? Would there be a market for it??? perhaps.

I don’t see how ripping off a members or any bodies hard work is a good thing.

It's not. Someone who's figured out how to do something nobody else has deserves proprietary treatment. You wanna do what they do? Pay them to do it for you. Right?

I didn't word it correctly my bad, the message I meant to come across is someone that does have a CNC machine copy the head on the 2 porters behalf and make them readily available. Proceeds would go to both the CNC operator and the original porter. By all means not to ever rip off anyone, but to increase the availability. I apologize if my statement came out wrong the 1st time

I didn't word it correctly my bad, the message I meant to come across is someone that does have a CNC machine copy the head on the 2 porters behalf and make them readily available. Proceeds would go to both the CNC operator and the original porter. By all means not to ever rip off anyone, but to increase the availability. I apologize if my statement came out wrong the 1st time
Another option is for the end user to figure it out for themselves. I promise you, after the YEARS it will take, you would have a new found respect for those who've gone before you. I get what you're saying. The thing is, these guys have years of experience......that span three generations. Have you seen some of Jim's work on here? Try searching "low compression 440" and put in "IQ52" for the username. You'll be blown away by their numbers if you've not seen it.

Nowadays, all one has to do for a pair of nice flowing, cnc ported 906 heads is make a call to Dave at KG engines in Kansas Ohio.
He’ll fix you right up for a very reasonable price.

My days of high effort ported factory iron are over!!

Nowadays, all one has to do for a pair of nice flowing, cnc ported 906 heads is make a call to Dave at KG engines in Kansas Ohio.

pfhhhhtttttt.......specially with cast iron! It's so costly in tools it's pathetic! Take that money and get some aluminum heads and have them worked. You'll likely come out cheaper.

I’m right with you. I probably turn down 2-3 porting jobs monthly because of them being cast iron.

I’m right with you. I probably turn down 2-3 porting jobs monthly because of them being cast iron.
Jerry Killian ported this last slant 6 head I have. He said the ONLY reason he did it was because he had ported one for me before, plus he agreed a long time ago to do another one. He said after this one, he was not porting anymore iron heads again. Ever. LOL

Around here the reasons for quitting iron, and really all porting work, were multiple. Time involved. Mental stress because just good wasn't good enough. It had to be better than good. Mostly the physical pain involved in the wrists and arms was crippling. And those 906 heads are still on the shelf. Just the way they came off the last engine in 2011. Still a family treasure.

-
Back