AZ Hwy Patrol or SS and AFX

• Hwy Patrol

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • SS and AFX

Votes: 28 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
haha im sure i can... look past some stuff...

All kidding aside....I think it's a great career choice for U and will provide more job security & a future financial stability for U and your family in the long run.

U can always build cars on the side......:burnout:

I truly hope U get hired by the PD and if U need any kind of a character reference email etc. just let me know :cheers:

8-) :poke: :nike:

Just happened to think. No one has mentioned highway accidents. You know, men, women, youngsters, children, infants. If you are not prepared to face this, find a different vocation.

All kidding aside....I think it's a great career choice for U and will provide more job security & a future financial stability for U and your family in the long run.

U can always build cars on the side......:burnout:

I truly hope U get hired by the PD and if U need any kind of a character reference email etc. just let me know :cheers:

8-) :poke: :nike:

thanks C! and i totally agree... great pension, endless promotional possibilities... but really this stuff is second to the reason im even thinking about it...

Just happened to think. No one has mentioned highway accidents. You know, men, women, youngsters, children, infants. If you are not prepared to face this, find a different vocation.

your 100% right... i'll probably end up seeing some knarly stuff... well i already have since i moved here... 3 car with a roll over... there were shoes and... stuff all over...

and then i was seconds away from witnessing those motorcyclists from being run down by that meth head in the dump truck... lets just say that one wasn't pretty either...

but i would rather see that stuff then deal with domestic disputes/abuse, and all the other stuff that regular PD or sheriff would have to deal with...

Best of luck to you with your application, and please keep us posted as you go through the process. Bear in mind if you have anything questionable in your past, be completely open and candid about what occurred. Nothing gets you disqualified faster than a Lack of Candor response in an interview for a Law Enforcement position. Not implying that you have any issue/issues @ all, just giving unasked for advice.
The comment about responding to crashes and the inevitable gory sights you'll see is (no pun intended) "Dead-on". I was out of the Academy for about a week and on Midnight Shift patrol when I responded to my first traffic fatality as a 22 year-old Trooper. I had to help remove the bodies of two children from a wreck wherein their grandfather underestimated the sharpness of a curve in the road and as a result killed his wife and two grandchildren.
It's one of the realities of being on Patrol.

Best of luck to you with your application, and please keep us posted as you go through the process. Bear in mind if you have anything questionable in your past, be completely open and candid about what occurred. Nothing gets you disqualified faster than a Lack of Candor response in an interview for a Law Enforcement position. Not implying that you have any issue/issues @ all, just giving unasked for advice.
The comment about responding to crashes and the inevitable gory sights you'll see is (no pun intended) "Dead-on". I was out of the Academy for about a week and on Midnight Shift patrol when I responded to my first traffic fatality as a 22 year-old Trooper. I had to help remove the bodies of two children from a wreck wherein their grandfather underestimated the sharpness of a curve in the road and as a result killed his wife and two grandchildren.
It's one of the realities of being on Patrol.

i grew up wanting to be a cop so i always kept my nose clean, have never done any drugs, of any kind, have one moving violation when i was 18, never arrested for anything, hell... never even put in cuffs... i always stayed on the straight and narrow just in case...

My grandpappy always said to find the two things you love to do most in life. The very first one make your hobby. The second one make your job.

(I couldn't make it as a **** star so I went to work on cars)
(Boy, did I F that up. Sorry grandpa).

My grandpappy always said to find the two things you love to do most in life. The very first one make your hobby. The second one make your job.

(I couldn't make it as a **** star so I went to work on cars)
(Boy, did I F that up. Sorry grandpa).

LOL thats awesome...

All kidding aside, the advice holds true. If it's what you truly want, do it. The world will always need your integrity behind the badge.

thanks Rev... well i guess im following some sound advice... i mentioned it before but this is exactly what my great uncle did...

when he was a kid he worked on cars for gangsters in LA area... then became LAPD and started the gangster squad... there is a movie coming out this sept about it...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gViqCxibW6A"]Gangster Squad Official Trailer #1 (2012) Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone Movie HD - YouTube[/ame]

Great choice going the public safety route for a career. Takes a little luck to get on with most public agencies now days.Talking with a current officer willing to share information seems like a great first step.

I am going to sound stupid here but What is SS/AFX? If it is building cars do that part time and go for the pension.

Great choice going the public safety route for a career. Takes a little luck to get on with most public agencies now days.Talking with a current officer willing to share information seems like a great first step.

thats what im thinkin...

I am going to sound stupid here but What is SS/AFX? If it is building cars do that part time and go for the pension.

www.ssandafx.com

Goofy ? I suppose. As has been mentioned, the gore part of being a Patrolman. I seriously doubt I would be able to deal with it. Is it easier to deal with as time moves on? My Ex-father-in-law worked for a towing company that had a contract with the NJ State Police. Some of the stuff, and for him it was the after the bodies were gone, gave him nightmares.

Go for it. At 30 years old I was tired of working on cars and my hobby of working on cars was like being at work while I was at home. I hated it after 10 years. So I decided to go back to school and try to be a firefighter. Well after 3 years of pain and suffering I made it. It was the best thing I have ever done in my life (well besides marrying my wonderful wife and have great kids with her) It has totally changed how I look at my hobby and I am more passionate about it than ever. You wont get rich and the pension isnt as gold plated as some would like you to believe, but its steady solid work. No two days are the same, which is pretty cool and after doing it for ten years I still love going to work. Good luck!!

I say combine both jobs and patrol the highway in a " special police package" hemi dart built by your shop with a six speed manual transmission, twinn turbo, 3.23 gears, AMD any other goodies you like to make it handle like its on rails.

I say combine both jobs and patrol the highway in a " special police package" hemi dart built by your shop with a six speed manual transmission, twinn turbo, 3.23 gears, AMD any other goodies you like to make it handle like its on rails.

This is an idea I can get behind; I want the second model you build.

Go for it dude!

Last May I took the physical test and written/video test for the Colorado Springs Police Dept.

Took the physical test first then went into the written/video test...

Once the written/video test was done the administrator looked at us and told us that due to the mayoral change that just happened he will more than likely make some budget cuts starting with police and fireman!! It felt like a waste to me, and I couldn't imagine what the recruits and transfers from out of state had running through their minds.
They didn't hire anyone and had to "reposition" their current staff.

We have an El Paso County Sheriff Deputy that we go to Church with and he told me two weeks ago that they were hiring and that I should put my application in....still pondering it.

I've been LEO since 1984 and would not change anything.

However, be prepared to work graveyard shifts for years as well as working Christmas, Thanksgiving and every other meaningful holiday.

In the end, it's a calling and you either love it or hate it.

i've been leo since 1984 and would not change anything.

however, be prepared to work graveyard shifts for years as well as working christmas, thanksgiving and every other meaningful holiday.

in the end, it's a calling and you either love it or hate it.

x2.

It's a great job man. With overtime, most CHP officers make $100,000 by their 3rd year or so.

Just don't let it go to your head. I know too many guys that were just really cool, down to earth guys. Then they became cops and now they are....cops. They talk and act different now. They only like talking about themselves and their jobs and the worst part of all is they try and regulate everything even when they are off duty. There's no need to carry a concealed weapon to a wedding or show your badge in rush hour traffic when you're in your own car and tell people to put their seat belts on. If you treat it as a job and not a lifestyle, you'll do alright.

5 years ago I would had said NO WAY. In fact me and some chick once got in to it cause she stated she was thinking of becoming a cop and i went snapping back at her, so you enjoy busting people and screwing up their lives cause they might not be goody goody two shoes--it was bind date, ha ha. Maybe I should had kept my mouth shut till after awhile but nooooo.

But today good jobs are so hard to get. Government jobs are one of the best to get. Heck how would you like to be a capital hill officer.

If you don't smoke weed, pop party pills, do ANYTHING that is illegal, I say GO FOR IT. Aim high and who knows how high you make it.

By the way, I will never ever trust you again, ha ha. Best advice was given to me once in the ghetto, "yeah, cops can be pretty cool sometimes but you never ever trust them"

5 years ago I would had said NO WAY. In fact me and some chick once got in to it cause she stated she was thinking of becoming a cop and i went snapping back at her, so you enjoy busting people and screwing up their lives cause they might not be goody goody two shoes--it was bind date, ha ha. Maybe I should had kept my mouth shut till after awhile but nooooo.

But today good jobs are so hard to get. Government jobs are one of the best to get. Heck how would you like to be a capital hill officer.

If you don't smoke weed, pop party pills, do ANYTHING that is illegal, I say GO FOR IT. Aim high and who knows how high you make it.

By the way, I will never ever trust you again, ha ha. Best advice was given to me once in the ghetto, "yeah, cops can be pretty cool sometimes but you never ever trust them"

you only screw up lives if they made an effort in making that way...

If you do go highway hog please ticket people going slow in the left lanes

-
Back