Possible electrical issues in my 64 wagon

-

Noel Clark

Reaction score
So I'm having an issue with my 1964 Plymouth Valiant with a 225 slant 6. Occasionally, it doesn't want to start, no click or crank at all. Other times it will start like there is no issue at all. I've replaced battery, starter and ignition coil (today)to this point. I hooked up a multimeter today and checked battery voltage while running and it registered at 15 volts! Could a voltage regulator cause the car to not start?

Not unless it is the cause of not charging and the battery runs down. The fact is with a good battery, which is "up" (fully charged) you can drive for HOURS in the daytime, and start the car a few times, before any trouble will show. This is older cars, breaker points ignition, and no EFI

If you have NO power, not even headlights or dome lamps, start by REALLY cleaning the battery clamps and terminals. Get yourself a decent battery post cleaner. If that does not do it, the next most likely suspect(s) are the bulkhead connector and ammeter

No click points to a possible open circuit in the NSS. Possible out of adjustment on the cable (assuming stock automatic).

No click points to a possible open circuit in the NSS. Possible out of adjustment on the cable (assuming stock automatic).
Somehow I skimmed over and missed .........this^^is most likely if the headlights still work

Look at the wire that goes between the starter relay and the starter solenoid, it's about a foot long 12ga brown wire if it's still factory...

I had the same issue you're having, that wire had vibrated enough over the years that most of the copper strands inside had broken. If I held the wire just right, the car would start.

I replaced it with a scrap piece of 14ga, and no issues since.

You can narrow down the problem. With the scenario in post #5, the ign relay would still energise, but nothing from the starter.

When it happens again, see if you can get an assistant to put their finger on the ign relay. If you feel a click, then the relay, wiring to the starter or starter itself is faulty. No click from the relay could still be a faulty relay, wiring, NSS or ign sw.

You can narrow down the problem. With the scenario in post #5, the ign relay would still energise, but nothing from the starter.

When it happens again, see if you can get an assistant to put their finger on the ign relay. If you feel a click, then the relay, wiring to the starter or starter itself is faulty. No click from the relay could still be a faulty relay, wiring, NSS or ign sw.

MY CAR DID THAT YESTERDAY , IN THE GARAGE AFTER I DROVE IT AND HIT THE REV LIMITER TWICE IN LOW GEAR , SHIFT LIGHT ISNT WORKING AND NEED TO RAISE THE RPM LIMIT, NO CLICK , ACTED LIKE THE SWITCH WAS BAD , WHICH IS NEW ALONG W/ EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE ELEC. SYSTEM ,RELAY,STARTER, WIRING, COIL, MAIN RELAY FOR THE FUEL INJ, BATTERY . I JUMPED ACROSS THE RELAY POSTS W/ THE IGN SWITCH ON AND IT WOULD START .-----------?? ANY SUGESTIONS ??---------FORGIVE THE CAPS , THIS COMP. WORKS BETTER ON CAPS AND DOESN`T CHANGE TYPED STUFF LIKE IT HAS BEEN DOING------

So I'm having an issue with my 1964 Plymouth Valiant with a 225 slant 6. Occasionally, it doesn't want to start, no click or crank at all. Other times it will start like there is no issue at all. I've replaced battery, starter and ignition coil (today)to this point. I hooked up a multimeter today and checked battery voltage while running and it registered at 15 volts! Could a voltage regulator cause the car to not start?
Assuming your car is a push button automatic, try this in your diagnosis when you have the no start/click situation. With your foot firmly on the brake and ignition switch in the start position, lift the park lever and push the neutral button. If still nothing, try the other buttons to see if you get a click or crank. If you now get some response, it's probably the neutral safety switch, or a shift cable adjustment problem.

-
Back