Post office strikes again!

-

340wedge1971

Reaction score
Sold acouple air cleaners to a member here,took pics and sent them to him before i packed them for shipping...he recieved both air cleaners (packaged seperate) and both were damaged...! I should have shipped them priority,but it wouldve been nearly $50 because of the box sizes..but instead i relied on our very own USPS,which you still pay for their service for them to get the packages there! It looked like the workers played kick-ball with these things...Anybody else have any bad luck with them?!

Yep...thats why I always....always pay for extra insurance when I ship anything thru them that I have sold....

Sold acouple air cleaners to a member here,took pics and sent them to him before i packed them for shipping...he recieved both air cleaners (packaged seperate) and both were damaged...! I should have shipped them priority,but it wouldve been nearly $50 because of the box sizes..but instead i relied on our very own USPS,which you still pay for their service for them to get the packages there! It looked like the workers played kick-ball with these things...Anybody else have any bad luck with them?!

i work from home and have the same problem with all shipping company's.
UPS Fed=x had damage with all of them. Mostly Fed-x

I had a back window for my car shipped via USPS from Michigan to toronto Canada.It was packaged very well and made it know problems.Taking extra care when packaging helps your item arrive intact.Maybe even building a small crate gives peace of mind.When I ordered my CalTracs they were shipped it a box??:wack:with no extra support and the box was busted open.I was lucky the bolts and brackets were taped together,so nothing was missing.

Actually, I've had the worst experience with Fedex. USPS has been the best for me and UPS is second. Shipped hundreds of packages and never a problem with USPS. Just the luck of the draw I guess. Insurance is definitely a must these days.

I understand the insurance thing,but it doesnt help the fact that i have to re-do these air cleaners,its my respon to get them there safely like the member bought them..just like any other job that we all have,you get paid to do the work properly,it just seems with the postal service,it happens often!

Yep...thats why I always....always pay for extra insurance when I ship anything thru them that I have sold....

sorry if i offended any post office workers,if you are one,put a fire in some of your fellow workers ***! Thanks!

Retired from the PO. Not to defend the place, but if things are packed right, zero empty space in the box they are in, pretty much everything will survive. Most packages are damaged to to poor packing. If the box caves in when you drop it from waste high, it needs more packing material. If the box caves in when you put some weight on it, needs more packing material....

I've shipped hundreds of items, and I pack the crap out of stuff, and ALWAYS buy insurance. I've only ever had to make one claim, and that was with USPS. My best luck is with FedEx. I think a lot of that has to do with the depots the package travels through. Around here UPS is horrible.

I have received items that people just throw in a box and expect it to make it across the country just fine. I has someone do that with a third member once. Man, that box was destroyed.

Always pack you items like you could drop them from the roof of your house and then kick it down the street a mile and not damage the item inside.

I ship everything usps.

The only time I had any issue was the one time i did not get a tracking number. The guy that bought the rims on ebay claimed they did not arrive. so he said to paypal and ebay they never arrived and I had no proof they did or didn't. personally i think usps delivered them to his door and he realized there was no tracking number and scammed me out of my 50 dollars i sold the 4 rims for! I will NEVER ship ANYTHING again without a tracking number. The guy was getting the deal of the century on the rims and then scammed me totally out of my money! some people are jerks.

I have shipped at least 30-40 things usps and never had one complaint. I do always over box things a bit but nothing too extreme. I have never bought insurance. I suppose if it was glass or something I would.

I don't do this much anymore, but I used to be REALLY active in amateur radio. You should see and hear some of the horror stories from my friends (and I) about shipping damage.

Some electronics simply CAN NOT be padded enough to take a 10 ft drop to a concrete drop.

The thing is, if you think about it, there is no excuse for any of this.

I don't do this much anymore, but I used to be REALLY active in amateur radio. You should see and hear some of the horror stories from my friends (and I) about shipping damage.

Some electronics simply CAN NOT be padded enough to take a 10 ft drop to a concrete drop.

The thing is, if you think about it, there is no excuse for any of this.
Registered mail does not get ran thru any type of machinery, gets handed person to person thru the system, safest bet with the USPS. You are right, there is no excuse, provided things are properly packed. Any open air space in a box is an invitation for disaster, and that is something that can not be blamed on USPS, FedEX or UPS.

Like shipping heavy stuff using newspaper as filler... BAD IDEA! Pick the box up and shake it REALLY good and see how much stuff moves. If you feel it move even the slightest, it needs more or denser packing.

I've had so much stuff arrive that is totally f'd up because of cheap packaging.

Most stuff under $100 goes fedex because of the minimum insurance amount unless it's heavy and fits in a flat rate box.

I have a 32" TV coming via UPS, hope it makes it safe...

I have stuff shipped to me in Europe all the time, never had any complaint about USPS, most of the time the boxes arrive with not even a scratch on them far from being crushed.
except my last one, a complete clutch, that box was lightly crushed but thats all.

face it boys & girls...ALL of the delivery systems have issues....no single one of them is flawless. Because of that and the cost and rarity of classic parts. it is an imperative that you purchase an appropriate level of insurance typically twice the selling value. Also, often times the buyer is paying for shipping, so stop with the "el cheapo" packing and boxing. Put some thought into it, NO LESS thought than you would expect if you were receiving that part.

I deliberately go way overboard, bubble wrap, solid Styrofoam pieces, stryo peanuts and typically MORE than ONE box. I have had very good luck with the BOX in A BOX method.
Every part is bubble wrapped, then set into a box and packed with solid styro all the way around the part the spaces are then filled in with styro peanuts and the box is then taped closed. the next step is to place that box inside of another larger box, and the first box is treated almost like a part. I forego the bubble wrap on the inner box and just use solid stryo and peanuts to fill the second box to almost a solid condition. I affix no less than 8 fragile stickers, my shipping label, with return address in two spots on the box. the outside box is then completely taped closed along every seam and every open fold.
I have not had a single part damaged in shipment and I have never had a part lost in shipment. depending on the part, that determines how it will be shipped and with which shipper.
If I spend over $100 on a classic part ( which is very easy to do)I expect that the seller will use his best judgement when packaging my part for shipment. The reason I go so far overboard is because I have learned that many sellers consider the part as yours and therefore it has little value to them because they have already been paid. I have received some very expensive parts in a plain USPS light cardboard box!!! I have received parts in pieces and smashed...I purchased a set of rallye wheels, I requested very strongly that the seller go to a tire store and ask for wheel boxes. most tire stores have them and they are for the asking... this idiot put a cardboard cutout like a pizza round on either side of the wheel and wrapped them in clingfilm!!!! when I went to the post office to pick them up...the Postman handed me 4 spent clingwrap bags with round cardboard in them and labels on them...NO WHEELS!!!

The ***** of it all was ...the seller/shipper bought the insurance, never returned a dime to me and collected the insurance on the lost parts and kept the money...so for his irresponsible inconsiderate packaging he was paid twice!!! I have begun to ask that the insurance be put into my name, since I am paying for it!!! that way if my just purchased parts fall off the truck, I am reimbursed for MY loss. Most honest reputable sellers will not have any issues with putting the insurance in your name and sending you the receipt in first class mail....it is a simple and reasonable request.

so far this has been a fail-safe method of shipping for me. with very positive results using ANY of the shippers available

Let's say you package ends up with collection mail, the stuff from the road side mail box. Your package will get dumped from the hamper, now adays most of them are these funky plastic orange things into this piece of equipment http://www.drs.com/Products/TS/PDF/CullSystem.pdf . If you take the time to look at the link you will see that your package will drop down several "water falls" before hitting a culling drum and being removed form the stream. If your package was improperly packed it will move while it is getting dumped from the hamper onto the belt and while it is dropping on the "water fall". Good chance it will survive this as most packages do. Your package will now be in another hamper going over to get dumped onto either an SPBS (old way, see picture to see how your mail is dropped into a hamper) or into the APPS machine, which is basicly an SPBS machine that is automated. If you bought your package into a retail clerk, which if it was over 13 ounces you have to, it will probably bypass the above. Instead it will be placed into one of several different types of containers that will be dumped by this thing http://www.drs.com/Products/TS/PDF/BoxContainer.pdf . Here is where most packages get fubared from improper packing. Lets just say that you put your item in a box with a few sheets of newspaper as stuffing. Your item is free to move around in the box. And lets just say it was on the top of the container to be dumped. Well you package that has an air space of lets say 20% of the box will now be under everything else that was just dumped. Very well could be a clutch, tires you name it. What do you think the chance is that your loosely packed package will survive getting a clutch dumped on it? Still say it is the USPS's fault? Sure, blame them because they don't take the time to handle things with care. The reality of it is most packages are not touched by a human being any more except for when you hand it to the clerk and it gets to the delivery unit. The rest of the time it is handled by gravity, which we all know is not friendly, or a machine. When ever I ship anything I will over fill, slightly, the box with peanuts. Give it a good shaking and if it settled pour some more in. I have never had a package not make it to where it was going in one piece. I shipped a DANA 35 center section from a Ford Ranger this way. The reciever sat in his house and watched his carrier drop it over his 4' high fence and the package stayed intact. The reality of it is,at least as far as packages go, if it got wrecked during shipment chances are it was from improper packaging. Letter mail, that is another story. Sorry for the length...

Attachments

• spbs.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 184
i just got some heads from another member here and the box showed up destroyed. not sure on what to do. i really want theese heads but hell man, i pulled 1 of the heads out of the box the way it showed up. how do i tell if they got effed up or not? fed ex said they would pick them up and send them to an investigation house but ive been waiting for theese heads to show up to get things goin. sounds like a long wait, so much for a good deal

i must agree ive shipped alot of parts and never a complaint, but when theese heads showed up i couldnt believe my eyes. maybee ten pieces of paper between two heads in a box i could have fit 3 or 4 heads. i feel like i should return theese things. is there any way to tell if they are ok with out spending any more $

waiting on a check that was mailed certified from washington state been 2 weeks still in the system?????
There is a good chance that the certified paper work made the letter get hung up in a gate on one of the machines, turning it into confetti. When I ran the AFCS, the stamp canceling machine I would just laugh at the amount of ceritfied mail that ended up in "body bags", aka a repair envelope. Certified letters are always metered but often time metered mail will get dumped with the stamped mail to boost the numbers for the plant. The more times the mail gets ran thru a machine, higher chance of it getting trashed. Good possibility your letter might not have been the cause of the machines getting jammed. But it could have been involved in the chain reaction that always happens when a Postal letter machine jams. The machine are running at approx. 25k pieces of mail an hour. The letters are seperated by no more than an inch in the machines. Lets say someone mailed a couple of quarters to there grand kid. The letter with the quarters in it will cause the machine to jam and because the machine oes not stop on a dime often times the next 10-12 letters pile up behind the jam. Along comes the clerk or mailhandler with there pliers and they just grab the mail and start pulling it out, often times destroying everything they touch. They are supposed to call for a mechanic to remove the jam, but few do as it takes to long for a mechanic to show up and there boss will be all over them for standing around while waiting for the mechanic. Another thing that could have happened is the letter could have been mis-sent, either by fault of unreadable hand writing on the senders fault or the ocr software not being able to read it. The place I worked at had a Nixie section, and part of there job was to try and figure out where mis-sent mail (due to poor hand writing) was supposed to go. Not uncommon for this section to go unmanned for days at a time, people calling in sick or being on vacation. They have books with every single address in the country in them and will often have to open mail trying to figure out either where it is from or where it is going. Not uncommon for them to spend 3-5 mintues a letter trying to figure things out.

i just got some heads from another member here and the box showed up destroyed. not sure on what to do. i really want theese heads but hell man, i pulled 1 of the heads out of the box the way it showed up. how do i tell if they got effed up or not? fed ex said they would pick them up and send them to an investigation house but ive been waiting for theese heads to show up to get things goin. sounds like a long wait, so much for a good deal

i must agree ive shipped alot of parts and never a complaint, but when theese heads showed up i couldnt believe my eyes. maybee ten pieces of paper between two heads in a box i could have fit 3 or 4 heads. i feel like i should return theese things. is there any way to tell if they are ok with out spending any more $
Don't know about FedEx but with the PO you would more or less be out of luck, unless they were insured. The shipping companies can not control how people package things so it is impossible to hold them liable for something like this. Even if you to have just refused them you would have had to try and settle with the seller, and if the guy could not take the time to package them correctly chances are you will just be out of luck. This is why often times buying used parts that need to be shipped just is not worth it. You would hope that a fellow car nut would take the time to package hard to find parts so it did not get wrecked. But I think the reality of it is very few people know how things get moved thru a shipping company. Before the Anthrax crap and 9/11 the Post Office used to have tours open to the public. I was normally the only one in my area at the time they were coming thru so i would have to explain to people how things worked in my section. Shipping companies need to better educate the public on how do ship things safely.

I have to imagine the hurricanes,floods, fires, etc.., can throw a monkey wrench in their logistics. Parcel insurance is worth the pennies it costs.

I ordered a steering gear box from obscure place once, they sent it fedex, it was for a newer car and didn't fit so I had to send it back, fed ex busted the box open because it was heavy and they made me send it back in the same crap box and said if I didn't they wouldn't pay me back lucky me got it back at my door, so then I had to file for the insurance but it had to be given to the company, so they paid them for it and like 3 months later I got paid back in full for it and got to keep it, I guess my bad luck turned out ok so I sold the box for half price to someone and made like 75 dollars on the whole thing but yeah, my rants point... fedex sucks haha

-
Back