Posting interest for an item in an ad thread first new rule???

Do you think that a prospective buyer should post interest for an item in the ads thread first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

banzaibullitt

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok. Maybe the rules should be changed for prospective buyers of an item.

In looking at a "for sale" ad, it looked like I was the first person to express interest. But I guess I was 5th or lower on the list according to the seller. I thought I was cheated out of a sales deal and the part was sold behind my back. Because of this lack of communication, NEGATIVE feedback was left in error. The feedback was later removed after it was explained what had happened.

I think that a prospective buyer should post his/her interest for an item in the ads thread first, so whoever looks at the ad will know what's going on and who is in line first.

Would be nice if it worked that way but it doesn't. There are so many people that are members and lurk but don't post anything at all. Private messaging is used by probably half the people looking for parts. I always type interest on the thread and then immediately PM.

if i see something i want i pm the seller immediately. no need to post inteerested in it in my opinion.
I had a situation where a well-known and high-count seller on FBBO listed an item I had been searching for, and I happened to see the For Sale advert within minutes of him posting it. I sent a Private Message (they were called that then) immediately expressing my willingness to buy at his full asking price, plus whatever shipping costs required.

Several members posted after I had made contact....like almost a day after.....and one of those guys eventually bought the item. After several attempts to get a response from the seller, I get a message 3 days after the item is sold, claiming he never got my message.

I think this was a case of "It's too hard to sell to a guy outside the lower 48, so I'll blow him off" :mob: It seems that being a Staff member at the time didn't have any influence over the decision, except I was able to see what he had done.

Since then I have purposely boycotted his items for sale, and actively search for mistakes he makes. He really pissed me off that much. I even tell my friends to be wary of dealing with him, and I'm not ashamed to admit that. This same guy is one of those who watches the WTB adverts, then magically has a For Sale advert pop up for the same item not long after.

There are a few shady characters selling, and I am very careful who I deal with these days. Anyone dealing with me will find the experience pleasurable and easy, and honest as well. I only wish everyone could be like that. :)

Since then if I send a PM first, I also post in the advert immediately that I have done so, and that alerts the seller/buyer, as well as everyone else.

It’s a free market. A seller can choose to sell to anyone they pick. It’s their part.

A prospective buyer has no “ first rights of refusal” to a part.

It’s a free market. A seller can choose to sell to anyone they pick. It’s their part.

However, in my case, the guy lied, which makes him untrustworthy.

I had a situation where a well-known and high-count seller on FBBO listed an item I had been searching for, and I happened to see the For Sale advert within minutes of him posting it. I sent a Private Message (they were called that then) immediately expressing my willingness to buy at his full asking price, plus whatever shipping costs required.

Several members posted after I had made contact....like almost a day after.....and one of those guys eventually bought the item. After several attempts to get a response from the seller, I get a message 3 days after the item is sold, claiming he never got my message.

I think this was a case of "It's too hard to sell to a guy outside the lower 48, so I'll blow him off" :mob: It seems that being a Staff member at the time didn't have any influence over the decision, except I was able to see what he had done.

Since then I have purposely boycotted his items for sale, and actively search for mistakes he makes. He really pissed me off that much. I even tell my friends to be wary of dealing with him, and I'm not ashamed to admit that. This same guy is one of those who watches the WTB adverts, then magically has a For Sale advert pop up for the same item not long after.

There are a few shady characters selling, and I am very careful who I deal with these days. Anyone dealing with me will find the experience pleasurable and easy, and honest as well. I only wish everyone could be like that. :)

Since then if I send a PM first, I also post in the advert immediately that I have done so, and that alerts the seller/buyer, as well as everyone else.

that sucks but **** happens.

If I want something I contact the seller in pm nobody needs to know who’s selling what to who especially when a moderator just told the whole forum what they are able to do.
And this time I screenshot the post.

There are a LOT of non contributing members here that their sole purpose is the almighty $$. There's members that will do what's been mentioned and go "behind the scenes" and pay over asking price because they know it's a good deal. There's also some that will snag up ALL of the NOS stuff(I've seen 8-10 brake/clutch pedal bushings) go to one buyer. I asked buyer for ONE and he said "nope" he needs them for his cuda. Douchebags are everywhere.:icon_fU:
Same prick sold me a "working" 69 tach...that didnt work and cost me another $200 to fix.
Seller can sell to whomever they want, but there's no accounting for integrity....

In looking at a "for sale" ad, it looked like I was the first person to express interest. But I guess I was 5th or lower on the list according to the seller. I thought I was cheated out of a sales deal and the part was sold behind my back. Because of this lack of communication, NEGATIVE feedback was left in error. The feedback was later removed after it was explained what had happened.

I think that a prospective buyer should post his/her interest for an item in the ads thread first, so whoever looks at the ad will know what's going on and who is in line first.

if i see something i want i pm the seller immediately. no need to post inteerested in it in my opinion.

I disagree, unless the buyer is a known shady "F**ktard"

I usually go by first person to respond. Now if I had the first person be a known problem child, I'd pass them and go with someone else. Same as if at a swap spot.

I've had guys come into my spot that where a PIA, be dickering about a part, someone else walks up, says how much, then says I'll buy it. Guy standing there like I was wanting that part. Sorry, someone else stepped up and paid the price on the tag while you were pulling a ******* gas monkey half off bullshit.

Had another well known flipper ask me about a sharktooth I had, Told them $800... complained and was pissed. Another person that was looking for the part walked up and asked, I asked what do you think it's worth, they said $600... SOLD! Flipper said you told me 800... yep cause you were going to take it to your spot and try to get 1000+ for it. They are going to likley use it. Tough world sometimes. lol

I typically PM..... If it's something that I have been waiting for I may post that I PM'd. Past that it is what it is.... You don't know who was faster than you. It's been that way ever since mankind decided to sell things.

As far as some type of rule, that's crazy talk. But there is nothing posted on this site that makes me get wound up about not closing a deal on any single item....

JW

As a seller I always used the "first to PM" guideline. It seems the most fair I thought. Giving negative feedback to a member if there was no sale is not what the feedback system is for. You may want to think about that and remove your negative response.

Another one that I had occur.

I had some manifolds that I took off a car. Posted that they were removed and headers going on. Got some inquiries about them. Two from people I didn't really want to deal with as #1 and #2 in line. The third was someone that I dealt with and had sent me stuff when I needed it or just sent stuff free that they couldn't use anymore for shipping.

Guess who got the manifolds and who I never replied to their request. The recipient was happy with the pricing (much lower than going rate and very fair), I was good with pricing as it paid for the headers I installed plus a couple bucks. win/win

Sellers control who they deal with, same as inviting you to their home. It's not a brick and mortar store where you place items in a cart and go check out.

This ^^^^^ The seller can sell to whomever they wish. Their part, their rules.

I disagree, unless the buyer is a known shady "F**ktard"

You can disagree all you want, but the fact is, until the seller accepts your money, you have no right whatsoever to THEIR parts. They can sell THEIR PARTS to you or whomever they want. It's up to them.

As a seller I always used the "first to PM" guideline. It seems the most fair I thought. Giving negative feedback to a member if there was no sale is not what the feedback system is for. You may want to think about that and remove your negative response.
The negative feedback WAS REMOVED this morning, and the seller and I have come to an understanding... all is good. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'll add something. I've dealt with Banzai a couple times. Good guy and would never hesitate to sell anything to him in the future.

A+ member

Yep - first one that PM's me gets the part. Posting "first in line" in the ad is just a waste of time. Try actually contacting the person with the part you want to buy.

The negative feedback WAS REMOVED this morning, and the seller and I have come to an understanding... all is good. :thumbsup:
That's cool. I agree with you basically. But that's how the world is. There have been some things on here I know I was first to respond in both PM and reply on the forum, but didn't get sold to. I just keep looking.

That is one opinion.
Mine is.....The first to make contact should be the first one to consider.
Picking favorites to sell to seems petty and rude.
UNLESS the first to contact the seller has been a problem to the seller or others.

-
Back