Power steering box locks up at low RPM

-

Waco Demon

Reaction score
I took my 72 Demon in yesterday to get an alignment after it was done the steering box locks up at low RPM . The steering is real hard once you increase RPM the steering will turn ok but when you slow down it gets real hard agene Thank you Waco Demon

Did it not do that before the alignment? Did you just replace/repair a suspension part?

I'm thinking they adjusted the lash in the steering box. Did you complain the steering box seemed loose? They wear more in the center so, it could be too tight when you turn it off center. Go back and ask them.

Do you have a Federal/Eaton round filler neck pump? I've had those loose assist making quick low speed maneuvers.

Or it needs a rebuilt pump.

Steve Yes I have Federal pump I went to the shop to talk to the mechanic this morning he said he though it had manual steering it was hard on his pre alignment so what ever failed happened as I turned into the shop . He said it sound like the pump failed
Waco Demon

Steve I forgot to tell you that the front end parts are all new I installed new Federal pump and a new power steering box Waco Demon

Lot of cruddy rebuilds out there.

Could be pump, could be box that was rebuilt wrong. Hopefully you have warranties on those. Start with pump.

Did you jack the front and support by the frame rails and try turning the steering manually? It should turn freely. If it binds in the center, adjust the slack in the "sector shaft" - see manual. As mentioned, it is tighter in the center and if over-adjusted off center it can bind and cause tremendous wear if you don't fix it soon.

This morning I put my car up on jack stands checked steering it moved freely with engine running started the engine checked at idle and still felt good with engine jest off idle it looked like fluid was moving . When it stops raining I'll take it out for a drive Waco Demon

I took the car out for a test . If the RPM drops below 1000 I have no power steering that with the car in gear Waco Demon

None of the lines are bent or crimped? I had this problem once and it was a smashed line. Still can't figure out why it got crimped and smashed. I would replace the pump and check the lines. Is it possible that maybe there is debri in the pump or in one of the lines?

I rebuilt a pump and it acted like that. I think one of the parts inside is 180deg out. Return the pump for a different one. I think that will fix your problem.

Was this problem ever solved? My dart leaked a quart every two days from the pump and box. I replaced both of them along with all new lines and front end rebuild. It doesn't leak anymore but it "locks up" at idle when warm. Just a little bit of throttle and the power steering will come back. I'm guessing the pump, but I hate to do the job twice.

Was this problem ever solved? My dart leaked a quart every two days from the pump and box. I replaced both of them along with all new lines and front end rebuild. It doesn't leak anymore but it "locks up" at idle when warm. Just a little bit of throttle and the power steering will come back. I'm guessing the pump, but I hate to do the job twice.

I replaced the pump and I have not had any problems sence

More than likely the pump, but double check that the pressure relief valve sitting directly on top of the steering box isn't stuck open. If it is, then at idle it will seem like you have very little assist to nothing at all. Then when the rpm's come up, the pump will flow enough fluid to give some assist.

I'm experiencing this exact problem today. Went to pull away from curb, almost no assist. Drive to work was fine. Went to park at work, zero assist. I'll see how it is on the way home. I'll check the pressure relief valve. ... Any chance it could be a bad pressure hose?

I had installed a new rebuilt one and every thing was good . Today we where working on my carb backed the car out of the garages to test the carb work I saw a small trail and then a puddle in the driveway it was pushing fluid out of the cap . Has any one installed a none oem pump ?

I'd switch to a Saginaw type pump.

There are Modern OEM type pumps. BUT there are no brackets on the market to just install the pump to a small or big block. There are some that have a whole motor plate but almost always they incorporate a full serpentine pulley conversions.

I'm gonna try one more Federal style pump since I still had a warranty. If that doesn't work I'm switching to a Saginaw style pump.

-
Back