Power steering help

-

Grinder

Banned
Reaction score
Alright guys I need some help!

My wife will be driving the dart while I am off at Boot Camp (Navy) and I need to swap to power steering,but we are broke! I found a 74 Scamp in the local yard with power steering,colomn,box,pump for a slant six. My car is a stock 67 Dart with manual steering. Will I be able to use the parts from the 74 on my 67? Will the steering shaft from the 74 colomn swap into my 67 colomn? Need to do this soon and for as cheap as possible. Will I be able to reuse the power steering hoses?

This will be my first time dealing with power steering,since I usually have manual. Any help is greatly appreciated!:-D

It can be done but not easily :( How the pitman arm and idler arm attach to the drag link is different. You could use the draglink too from the 74 if yours was 68 up.
To do that on a 67 would require a small piece welded to the K frame at the idler arm mount.

You can move the steering shaft . You will need to cut 3 inches off the column tube.

SO WHEN ARE YOU HEADING OUT THE BOOT CAMP...... If you need any help with the install give me a call....i got a lift at the house....no welding equipment.....

Can he just use the steering shaft out of the doner car and put it in his column?

NO. The 67 column tube is 3 inches too long to accomadate the later shaft and bearing design. Later shaft has a steel ring and a spring and totally different bearing.

I wish I could find a 68+ Power steering colomn for a good price.I may wait untill I can find a Donor car to get the 73+ spool mount k member,power steering,and BBP disc brakes.

Will the 68 colomn work with the 73+ stuff?

Is there any way to convert a 74 colomn(key in colomn) to the 67 style(key in dash)?

SO WHEN ARE YOU HEADING OUT THE BOOT CAMP...... If you need any help with the install give me a call....i got a lift at the house....no welding equipment.....

Not sure yet,talking with a recruter. Still deciding on what job I want.Its between Machinist or firefighter. My dream is to become a machinist and open up my own speed shop,and make my own parts....think edelbrock but BETTER:snakeman: Oh and ONLY Mopar. But being a firefighter has also been a dream of mine. Was training to become a SEAL,but decided against it,I dont think its a job for a married man.Couldnt stand to be away from my wife that long:love7: Not to mention I could never keep a secret from her:-D I never knew you had a lift! My buddy has a welder,we should create!

Ok, understanding your on a budget, you dont need to replace the column, use yours, all you will need to do is get a coupler,( Flamming River has them) I've got one I will send you for free,pm me your address info.
You just have to measure the correct distance once you install the ps gear, cut the steering shaft off and install the coupler. I have the coupler after converting my 67 from power to manual, I actually had to add on to the shaft.

I understand your situation and need. If I had a early p/s gear not in a car I'd give it to you. Surely someone here will have one. Post in parts wanted.
Good luck

I really appreciate everyones help:-D You guys are awesome.I have put up a wanted post. Maybe I can find someone that would do a straight swap?

Does anyone know if I can use the 74 steering pump and brackets,to save shipping one? Its a slant six car and so is my Dart.

Thanks again!

Sweet a member has contacted me about a possible swap! His car is a 67 GT slant six like mine:cheers:

Does anyone know if the pitman arm is the same for manual steering and power steering on a 67?

This has been a great thread for me because I have similar issues. I would like to run this by you all to see if I got this straight. I am switching over a 1975 Dart K member with power steering, suspension and disc brakes into a 67 Dart with manual steering from a donor car I have. Now if I keep the manual steering I need to change the pitman arm if I change over to the Power Steering the pitman matches but I need to cut the steering shaft and use a new coupler adapter?

This has been a great thread for me because I have similar issues. I would like to run this by you all to see if I got this straight. I am switching over a 1975 Dart K member with power steering, suspension and disc brakes into a 67 Dart with manual steering from a donor car I have. Now if I keep the manual steering I need to change the pitman arm if I change over to the Power Steering the pitman matches but I need to cut the steering shaft and use a new coupler adapter?

No the actual coupler is the same, just the column length is different.

-
Back