Power steering problem .

-

Del

Papa66Bcuda
Reaction score
I have a 66 Barracuda with a 273 that is up on jack stands when you start the car the wheels start turning slowly to the left every time. If you hold on to the steering wheel it doesn't fight you and you can turn it back without any resistance. Is this a pump problem I have turned wheels back and forth to eliminate air in system . Is there a adjustment somewhere I would hate to turn this thing into a dirt track car . Lol . Hope someone has an answer

On the top of the ps box there is a plate that has oil lines going into it. That plate is your adjustment. With car safely supported with front wheels off of the ground start the engine. If the wheel turns one way or the other on its own you need to adjust. The procedure is easy, loosen the plate on the top of the box and tap the plate side to side. You tap the plate slightly with the engine running and it will change which direction the centering of the power assist.

On the top of the ps box there is a plate that has oil lines going into it. That plate is your adjustment. With car safely supported with front wheels off of the ground start the engine. If the wheel turns one way or the other on its own you need to adjust. The procedure is easy, loosen the plate on the top of the box and tap the plate side to side. You tap the plate slightly with the engine running and it will change which direction the centering of the power assist.

Wrong, similar to above, barely loosen the 2 bolts holding the top hose fitting, and gently tap it forward or backward, till the wheel stays center. Sideways may damage the valve in there, especially when it's not supposed to move that way, and you're convinced it "will" because of bad info.

DANGER ! ! - - not nec to this vehicle, but to anyone reading later..

Do not put your arm thru the steering wheel to start the car in the air, as the strg wheel can SLAM hard over and cause serious injury..

Consult factory service manual..

cheers

Last edited:
READ the factory manual. The procedure is right there. You can download them free at MyMopar. No, I don't work there. A few of the manuals over there came from the guys here at FABO

The valve sits in a gutter, it can't move sideways much at all. With your "slow" self-steer tendency, you will only need to move the control a tiny bit. Be very careful;if you tap it too hard, the steering wheel can really fly! I'm positive it can break your fingers, perhaps a wrist too. Do not ask your wife to help, she will never let you forget it, and you may be sleeping on the couch for a good long time.
The engine needs to be at a very slow idle.

You can do it with the wheels on the ground, but you could be there for a week pushing back and forth on that stupid pos controller. At least that's what you will be thinking, if not saying.

Thanks I will give that a try are you able to do it from the top. I don't mind the couch as much as I work on the car it seems like I am sleeping in it. Lol

About steering wheel spin mentioned above. Yeah it can break your arm.
Story time, Back when I worked for a Ford dealer used car dept'. , manager bought a white SVO Mustang with grey leather guts at the auction. Nice unit that all the salesmen looked forward to making a chunk on.
My inspection revealed it had been wrecked but repaired quite well ( nothing new there ).
So later on Warren ( a salesman ) was in front of me as we were to take the stang and leave it at the tire store. As I started uphill on our back street route , I grabbed second gear and romped down on it a bit. Steering wheel suddenly spun hard left. I locked the brakes and slid toward a tree. Sidewalk stopped me. Got out of the car in the middle of the street, face white as the car. Told Warren, "This car just tried to kill me !" It was towed from that spot back to my work bay. Through some research I found the steering rack in the SVO was different from other builds and did have a design flaw. In most cases they would simply blow the high pressure hose. As far as I know, they never were recalled.

I have had rack and pinion do that and scares your shorts into a off brown color. I will give that a try I wonder when I pulled or sit the motor back in I might have bumped it . It only started doing it after that.

-
Back