Power Steering Pump differences

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Here's a few photos of Mopar Power steering pumps. I'll make this thread a sticky. There are always questions.

1681229382328.png

pump_differences.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a quote from Slantsixdan about this pump pictured. The pump in the pic appears to be a Thompson/TRW item. Federal and Thompson pumps are interchangeable on the same brackets (though you have to check pulley alignment; there are multiple different pulleys for each pump); Saginaw pumps take different brackets. The early Saginaw pump has an oval filler neck and a scalloped plastic combination cap and dipstick. The late Saginaw pump has a "ham can" shaped reservoir rather than a round section housing the actual pump at the bottom of a filler neck, and still uses the scalloped plastic combination cap and dipstick.

power steering pump2.jpg

I'm trying to find the correct pump and reservoir for a conversion I am doing. The big question is do I need the new or the old style Saginaw pump/reservoir. I am going to use Classic Industries part# MD2675 bracket for an LA small block to a Saginaw pump but I'm not sure which pump will fit. I am also ordering the hoses for Saginaw to Mopar (MN7508) and a conversion steering box for 1962 to 1976 (MN7505). Can anyone point me in a direction? This is for a 1964 Dodge Dart SW with a newer LA 360 and a newer K member (though the K member shouldn't be a problem since the box is 1962 to 1976).

I think the article has a mistake in that brackets for the TRW and Federal pump vary. There are no brackets to fit a TRW pump to the later aluminum water pump (Ron Grubb's LA360). I had to change to a Federal pump after putting the aluminum water pump on my 1965 273. The Federal pump then sits much lower and barely cleared the K-frame. I also had to do tricks with belts and pulleys since the alum w.p. sticks out 1" farther. Don't be like me, so use the earlier iron water pump, but that also changes where your lower radiator outlet must be (driver's side). You will appreciate the extra 1" clearance to the radiator, which might allow fitting a clutch-fan.

Eliminate all the hassle. Run manual steering. lol

Id like to run a Saginaw Type 2 pump but it seems like no one makes the brackets for Mopar. I hate the old Saginaw pumps I have had nothing but problems with leaking/weeping pumps over the years.

Id like to run a Saginaw Type 2 pump but it seems like no one makes the brackets for Mopar. I hate the old Saginaw pumps I have had nothing but problems with leaking/weeping pumps over the years.
Chrysler used the later pump up into the 80s on LA motors. I don't know about your part of the world but in the States you can score everything you need off trucks + vans at the junkyard. Mine came off an '85 Fifth Avenue.

And GM used the same pump at least into the late 70s.

Chrysler used the later pump up into the 80s on LA motors. I don't know about your part of the world but in the States you can score everything you need off trucks + vans at the junkyard. Mine came off an '85 Fifth Avenue.

And GM used the same pump at least into the late 70s.
That not a type 2 pump though. This is what im talking about.

type.jpg

type2 with.jpg

Don't most engines since mid-1990's use a power steering pump with divorced reservoir like that? My 2002 T&C 3.8L has one termed "Toyota style for Chrysler apps". Pulley is still pressed-on like the old Chrysler. If picking at random and fabbing new brackets might leverage one for a Hemi engine. Indeed, someone might even make brackets to mount to a small-block. Check Bouichillon Performance Engineering and the like.

-
Back