power steering pump problem

-
Mopars don't use atf, they use power steering fluid, which hydraulic oil is a great substitute for and a lot cheaper.

ATF will make the seals leak and doesn't have much lubricant to it flush the ATF out and put in PS fluid or hydraulic oil.

When these cars were built from my understanding there wasn't a difference between ATF and "Power Steering" Fluid
ATF will help with an older system to keep the seals swollen up and keep from cracking

I use only power steering fluid , have never run into a problem . Why rebuild everything and then go use a fluid the engineers that designed the unit say not to use ?

I use only power steering fluid , have never run into a problem . Why rebuild everything and then go use a fluid the engineers that designed the unit say not to use ?

I've never rebuilt mine, seals were leaking, flushed it and replaced with normal dextron III ATF and no more leaks from seals

Wonder why my trans doesn't leak all over the place?
Must be completely different rubber in the steering system (hoses and all)

40 years of ATF for steering fluid.
The BMW says ATF ONLY on it.
455,000 mile Honda Accord had ATF all it's life.
478,000 mile Nissan the same.

I think someone fell for a myth, and there was/is one that says the seal conditioner in ATF will make the seals leak.
Still, never an issue.

When these cars were built from my understanding there wasn't a difference between ATF and "Power Steering" Fluid
ATF will help with an older system to keep the seals swollen up and keep from cracking

ATF was used in older ford products not mopars , using atf in a mopar system will make it leak.

But I've only drove and worked on mopars for the last 35 so don't give what I say any thought:eek:ops:

Transmission fluid is 20w hydraulic oil. The high temp and detergent additives give it its smell and color. Even the most modern trans fluid couldn't do any harm to a power steering system. Mainly because there is no difference between the materials used in building steering systems and transmissions.
Chrysler did use basic 20w oil, Only because it costs less.
You'll find a lots of mfgrs do the same today for the same reason.
Trans fluid has a heck of a lot more additives today that steering systems still don't need.

You can find steering fluid for early Mopars (pre-1985?) when lucky. My later Mopars specify ATF fluid. I don't know why it matters. I put synthetic power steering fluid in my 65 Dart. I forgot the brand - Red something?, and couldn't find any more of it. I recall buying it at Tognotti's speed shop. However, many fluids labelled "synthetic" is just marketing hype, like in brake fluids.

-
Back