Power Steering pump pulley- BENT. Where to buy a replacement?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
So my power steering pump pulley put up an astonishing fight...eventually came off after many days of soaking in penetrating oil, hitting it with the torch and agressive use of the gear puller...sadly, this ended up warping the pulley so it was all for nothing.

:eek:ops:

I have already noticed that this isn't something that I can get from the local shop nor from Rock Auto...

...Can anyone suggest a source for a new one?

Many thanks for any leads.

www.hemibracket.com might be the way to go, and I think he has the ID booklet on pulleys so you can make sure you're getting what you think you getting if you go salvage/used.

That said, a decent machine shop can likely make it not-bent again.

www.hemibracket.com might be the way to go, and I think he has the ID booklet on pulleys so you can make sure you're getting what you think you getting if you go salvage/used.

That said, a decent machine shop can likely make it not-bent again.

Thanks, Jos! I will give them a call today.

I suspect/hope that I might be able to buy a new one for less cash than having the old one straightened...but I will certainly investigate both options.

Have you tried calling Steer & Gear, they rebuild power steering pumps, maybe they have new ones or one laying around that you could buy...

http://www.steerandgear.com/

Toll Free: 800-253-4327. Local: 614-231-4064.

Mancini carries Hemi p/s pulleys on their site, maybe call them to see if they have any for your application.

krazykuda,
Thanks!! I will give them a shot too.

Whoa... $65 from Steer and Gear? Does that sound right?

:sad:

Whoa... $65 from Steer and Gear? Does that sound right?

:sad:

Mancini wanted like $300 for a Hemi pulley....

You could always find a used power steering resivoir assy and buy that for the pulley, but it may be as much as the one from steer and gear.

At least now you have found one, now you can look for a better price...

I think that same pump run all the way up into the late-80's B-vans, and certainly M bodies. Got a local Pick-a-Part?

A member might have a pulley for pennies but...
until we know which of the many different pulleys.....
Good luck

Thanks, guys... this is what im looking at.

Attachments

• 20140210_204353.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 304
Anyone that is going to get you a pulley is going to need to know the diameter of your original pulley. It looks like a single groove from what I can see in the picture and they would need to know for sure.

Another...

Attachments

• 20140210_204446.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 341
Anyone that is going to get you a pulley is going to need to know the diameter of your original pulley. It looks like a single groove from what I can see in the picture and they would need to know for sure.

Lol... you beat me to it. The file was too large and you replied while I was resizing the pic. :)

Yes, single groove.

Measure the shaft, if its .664 ish I have an aluminum one i'd part with cheap. They dont HAVE to be a resto correct oem part. They can even be plastic as long as the diameter is close and the have v groove.

Measure the shaft, if its .664 ish I have an aluminum one i'd part with cheap. They dont HAVE to be a resto correct oem part. They can even be plastic as long as the diameter is close and the have v groove.

Cool... sending a PM now...

used pulley here is 6&3/4 OD .622 bore, concave profile. Hub on the front where a proper puller is to be used.

OK... so the pulley sent to me by a forum member (for an incedibly fair price) was not the right unit. It had a different offset and a spacer.... I did my best to modify the pulley, cut off the spacer, machined out the mating surface, pressed it on as far as I could without hiiting the pump housing, etc... no luck. It's still about 1/4" off.

I spent a couple hours at the local junk yard (that claimed to have two identical pulleys in stock) following the guy around through the and they came up with nothing. :rolleyes:

I may have to bite the bullet and buy a "new" one from the vendors mentioned above but if anyone else has a pulley that might work, can you drop me a PM?

'73, 318 car, no AC.
Thanks!
Mike

I am sorry that pulley wasn't the one you needed. If I had known It was wrong I could have looked father. A friend across town had boxes full of pulleys last time I visited.
If I went there now with nothing to compare to. I wouldn't want to send the wrong one again.

Cool that in post #20 you finally told us about your car, engine, and accessories. It all matters. Even in the same year the pulleys often varied with power steering (you have?) and perhaps the pump model (Federal or Saginaw in 1973). You have a Federal pump. The Saginaw was more efficient and is easier to get, probably since used on most GM's, plus all I think Mopar used at the end.

Easiest would be to buy a used Saginaw pump w/ brackets on ebay. If the pump is old, turn it in as a core for a rebuilt one. They came on 1980's Mopars too, so perhaps brackets from a small block Volare, Aspen, New Yorker, or such would work. If you want new, Bouichillon sells new brackets for each type pump.

throw it in a 2.00 shipping bag and send it to me ill straighten it for you and send it back..j

I am sorry that pulley wasn't the one you needed. If I had known It was wrong I could have looked father. A friend across town had boxes full of pulleys last time I visited.
If I went there now with nothing to compare to. I wouldn't want to send the wrong one again.

Redfish,
I wasn't blaming you at all and I didn't want to call you out on sending the wrong part. The diameter and description were spot on and that's all I gave you to go by. It's 100% my fault for assuming that if those things matched, it would likely be the same part number. Again, thanks for sending it!! Lesson learned for me. :)

If you think you'll be passing by your friend's place again and you're willing to take another look, let me know.

Cool that in post #20 you finally told us about your car, engine, and accessories. It all matters. Even in the same year the pulleys often varied with power steering (you have?) and perhaps the pump model (Federal or Saginaw in 1973). You have a Federal pump. The Saginaw was more efficient and is easier to get, probably since used on most GM's, plus all I think Mopar used at the end.

Easiest would be to buy a used Saginaw pump w/ brackets on ebay. If the pump is old, turn it in as a core for a rebuilt one. They came on 1980's Mopars too, so perhaps brackets from a small block Volare, Aspen, New Yorker, or such would work. If you want new, Bouichillon sells new brackets for each type pump.

I will look into this... you're probably right about the Saginaw pump being more efficient (and certainly more common based on what I found at the local junk yard!)...No doubt, I should have specified the model/equipment level. So many things are standard across these cars that didn't imagine the pulleys would have so many variations. Again, learning experience for me.

throw it in a 2.00 shipping bag and send it to me ill straighten it for you and send it back..j

This is an incredibly generous offer... I may be in touch.

MRG still looking for a p/s pulley ? I may have one that will work for you. I will take pics and measurements in a few. If so pm me your email

-
Back