Power steering pumps

-
Reaction score
who's running what?

saginaw or federal or ?

what type of brackets and such did you need?

And any picks would be greatly appreciated.

As for myself, I'm trying to run a saginaw for the parts availability, but the in's and outs interfere with the drivers side motor mount and now I have the welder & grinder out.:read2:

Whatcha got?

i tried to put a saginaw on my 67 barracuda and gave up and put the federal that came on it. as you probably no the preshure line hitting the moter mount base.while i was at the mopar nationals last august i looked at a hole bunch of a bodies to see what they did. i saw a really lot of them with kinked bends on the preshure hose behind the saginaw pump. i dont think i saw any with the pump mounted in the low position with a good looking preshure line. i have a 69 ac car with the pump mounted higher that clears fine but i dont know how it will work when i try to put it together without the ac pump. you would think that out their in hydralic world their would be a close 90 degree fitting we could use but i havent found one. good luck.

i tried to put a saginaw on my 67 barracuda and gave up and put the federal that came on it. as you probably no the preshure line hitting the moter mount base.while i was at the mopar nationals last august i looked at a hole bunch of a bodies to see what they did. i saw a really lot of them with kinked bends on the preshure hose behind the saginaw pump. i dont think i saw any with the pump mounted in the low position with a good looking preshure line. i have a 69 ac car with the pump mounted higher that clears fine but i dont know how it will work when i try to put it together without the ac pump. you would think that out their in hydralic world their would be a close 90 degree fitting we could use but i havent found one. good luck.

I have/had the high mount setup but belts didn't align, must have needed the pulleys off that volare too....

and yeah I noticed the diff non nippple pressure line that it takes, I wonder if I can just cut the lil nip that pops out of the federal style fitting and have it still seal right?

who's running what?

saginaw or federal or ?

what type of brackets and such did you need?

And any picks would be greatly appreciated.

As for myself, I'm trying to run a saginaw for the parts availability, but the in's and outs interfere with the drivers side motor mount and now I have the welder & grinder out.:read2:

Whatcha got?

when i was running a stock k-frame i ran a federal pump. the saginaw lines will hit the engine mount on the 67-72 k-frame like you found out. i'm sure you cam maybe make a custom line to make it work but its just easier to find the right pump and brackets in my opinion.

Anyone with a federal pump in socal they're lookin to get rid of?

Don't do it.

The Saginaw is a way superior setup. The federals are not as good.

You just need to get the right brackets, and pressure hose. The hose you can buy at NAPA.

I switched from federal to saginaw on my dart. It has the stock k-frame and does not have A/C. Bolted in as long as I had the saginaw brackets and pressure hose.

Here's the hose routing in my dart. and what a loose setup looks like (sorry bad pic)

Copy of PICT3249.JPG

Copy of SF03BoughtStuff.JPG

Don't do it.

The Saginaw is a way superior setup. The federals are junk.

You just need to get the right brackets, and pressure hose. The hose you can buy at NAPA.

I switched from federal to saginaw on my dart. It has the stock k-frame and does not have A/C. Bolted in as long as I had the saginaw brackets and pressure hose.

cool.
Is it mounted high or low?

From you profile pics, I look like you have the aluminum water pump (70 and up).

That will take a different bracket than what I run (cast iron W.P.).

The brackets you need should be non A/C 70-72 saginaw pump for 318-340's. IIRC, they mount lower than mine.

I'd get the brackets of a dart. Or make totally sure they interchange with something else. Get pictures and measurements off on someone allready has on their car.

hmmmm, gonna have to figure out the hose routing issue....

Should be stock 70-72 v-8 dart with saginaw pump. These are $15 and $18.

EDELMANN Part # 70344 {Pressure Line Assembly; 5/16" Female SAE x 3/8" Male Inverted Flare x 34 1/4"}
W/Saginaw P.S. Pump

70344.jpg

ACDELCO Part # 36352840 {#19146744}
HOSE,P/S GR INL -; PRESSURE, SAGINAW P.S. PUMP; P.S. HOSE ASSEMBLY

36-352840.jpg

wild and crazy i hope that guy is right but i dowt it his pump is mounted high when you mount it down low it changes things. a hose like the one in the pitcher wouldnt work for me with the aluminium pump. if you get it to work i want to know how cause i would love to dump that federal pump.

cool, calling parts store now.

I wouldn't buy the hose until you have the pump and brackets. Do you have a pump now? Do you have brackets now?

You installed a 70 up aluminum water pump.

A saginaw pump was installed in a V-8 application in 70-72 A-bodies. You need to find the pump and pump brackets off one of those cars. Question is, is when you switched to the alumunum water pump did you switch (or is their a difference?) to the 70-72 water pump, alternator and crank pulley.

Or contact Buchillion and see what to see what pulleys go with the pump bracket they sell.

Many times these cars are tossed together with whatever seems to fit thats laying around.

wild and crazy i hope that guy is right but i dowt it his pump is mounted high when you mount it down low it changes things. a hose like the one in the pitcher wouldnt work for me with the aluminium pump. if you get it to work i want to know how cause i would love to dump that federal pump.

Were was it hitting?

im doing a little learning. maybe you guys all ready no. my observations are 69 was the last year for the iron water pump. the aluminum pump has a longer snout. the spool mount k member came out in 73 and the low mounted saginaw pump would work on those k members because the moter mount base is not in the way

im doing a little learning. maybe you guys all ready no. my observations are 69 was the last year for the iron water pump. the aluminum pump has a longer snout. the spool mount k member came out in 73 and the low mounted saginaw pump would work on those k members because the moter mount base is not in the way

But between 1970 and 1972 there were brackets and a setup for a saginaw pump and V-8. I would think someone here has a 70-72 A-body with an originaw saginaw pump ?? Pics would help.

so off anything? or abody only?

I've seen a few vans in the yard that might have it.

hey man, i just went to the yard and pulled the whole setup off of an 87 5th avenue with a 318 with all the brackets and such for 34 bucks and it bolted right up...as far as i know its a saginaw...good luck!

-
Back