PowerSteering Woes

-

mario03srt

Reaction score
All,

I took my new rebuilt car out for it's first extended drive and it's barfing PS fluid. During low speed putting around the neighborhood no issues but the 2 times out it crapped out. From my research I read that my pump is sucking air from a leak in the HP side and foaming/expanding the fluid then it blowing out the cap. It was making a metallic whirling after warmup, not like it was low on fluid. The PS did not leak before the overhaul. I reused the high pressure line w/o changing the oring as it appeared good on both ends, and I modded the pressure valve with a Borgeson kit with a new oring.

My "***"umption is that an oring is nicked or there is a pinhole somewhere. Does that sound right or is there something more serious going on. The pumps are cheap and while I have not priced a high pressure line I don't believe it too is expensive either. But I'm done tossing $$ at the car really and need to drive it some. The engine and the FiTech are doing sweet!

Any thoughts or help is welcomed.

Thanks,
Marion

I disagree with the sucking air from the high pressure side theory. Remember that the pump pushes into the hp hose and sucks from the l.p. hose. If you have an air leak it would more likely be in the low pressure hose. Also, a leak in the hp hose would squirt out of that hole like a fountain.

I disagree with the sucking air from the high pressure side theory. Remember that the pump pushes into the hp hose and sucks from the l.p. hose. If you have an air leak it would more likely be in the low pressure hose. Also, a leak in the hp hose would squirt out of that hole like a fountain.
Jim,
I took out the 2 lines off and cleaned everything and reassembled. The hp lines do not have orings. Don't know why I said that? The lp return line was not "real" tight at the steering box tight but is now. Same result after a 10 minute drive. It was ok idling in the drive with some throttle too. Fluid is spraying around after warmup. It worked great except for the puking I'll pull the pump next I guess..

Marion

This might sound stupid but, your not putting too much fluid in it are you? It does naturally expand when hot and too much could force it out the cap.

Just a thought.

Jim,
Yes I have the fluid set correctly. I rechecked it yesterday after checking the hoses. It was nearly empty, it checked correctly cold and after warmed up. I don't have any history with this car before I tore it down 18 mos. ago. But the PS was doing just fine. Since then I have added a rebuilt NAPA Box, and modded the pressure relief to 850 psi and a new low pressure return line. The pump starts making some strange screeching after a few minutes on the road and some decnt acceleration. Not the same noise as when it is low of fluid. I guess a rebuilt pump is in order and go from there.

Thanks,
Marion

If the fluid is full of bubbles,it sounds like there is air in the system, and it just needs to be bled. The pumps often make noises when there is air in the system. That new box was probably shipped to you dry, and needs to be bled. I do this by getting the front wheels in the air, and with the engine idling, turn the steering wheel from full left to full right, and back, multiple times, hesitating on the stops, but not staying there. I start with a low fluid level, cuz it is gonna get hot and foamy, and needs some room to burst the bubbles, and expand into. When that happens I shut 'er down and go do something else for an hour. Then return,put some fluid in, and repeat.
When the pump stops screeching and the fluid level stops dropping, then it's time for a roadtest. Good luck.

AJ,

Thanks for the advice. I have done all of that. The steering works great and does not have the "groaning" sound and a drag in the steering or intermittent stiffness.
After a few minutes and some heat and rpms the pump is making noises and fluid is over flowing. It's not foamy like it's aerating, but it is expanding a lot. Going to disassemble completely. Maybe the pump has a screen and is full of crap. Although, the steering box is new and the pump was cleaned well when I did the Borgeson pressure mod. I did not notice a screen then. The return/suction line is new and the high pressure line looks new. I only drove this car twice when I bought it 2 years ago for about 50 miles and the steering pump ran fine and no leaks, just a sloppy box. lol. I must have introduced a problem, but like I mentioned the pump is making a crazy sound when the engine is revved after getting hot. Maybe it just crapped out. The Guy at Advance Auto asked if it had a roots supercharger on it :).

Thanks,
Marion

Tim,

Yes it does. It drives and steers great. I think that the main shaft seal/bearing is shot and air may be pulling in from there, but it not foaming over just flowing over during running or after shutdown.. I'm just going to start from scratch and put in a cardone pump, they are reasonable and easy to install. It was one of the few components that were not changed out during my rebuild of the car.

Thanks,
Marion

If it pukes at shutdown, there has to be air trapped on the pressure side. As the pressure relaxes the trapped air returns to atmospheric pressure, forcing the fluid back into the reservoir. If there is no room then it overflows.

All,

I replaced the PS Pump w/ a reman from Da Zone and it passed my road test. I'm knocking out the leaks on the new build, the pump musta either just went to **** from sitting 2 years or I overfilled it and it killed the vanes or the shaft bushing not sure. Swapped over my modded pressure valve and actually it was only a three hour job total. The suction tube on the reman pump was squirly compared to the one on the original, but I got the mounting bracket pushed past it to go over the 2 studs and

Thanks,
Marion

-
Back