PPG or Omni Experience?

-

tcgilly

Reaction score
I'm doing my 1968 Cuda now and am deciding between Omni or PPG for the base coat. My fender tag color code is PP1 in PPG Code- 71483. The price of PPG here in NY is over $300 a quart right now- insanity. Omni would save me a buck. Is PPG worth the extra coin? It's a good chunk of change for me and I need to decide- PPG or Omni? Any experience or info would be much appreciated.
Tim

Omni is garbage, always has been, and their colors suck too. Put their black next to quality paint and it looks like mud...brown.

I've used PPG, never cared for it.

FOr base I like House of Color, Spies and Dupont. For clear I like Dupont or SPies.

I just bought a gallon of HOC Jet Black and definitely didn't pay 1,200 for it. I believe it was around 450$ for it.

Dupont Emberglo Pearl , Code PYC
3 coats base.
3 coats clear.
Painted and buried the stripes , no edges,

Cut and buffed .

I'm very happy with the results!

fav-pic-jpg.jpg

PPG for me very happy with the results also the pic for graveyard cars that's a good enough endorsement for me. Also I believe PPG has the best match on original colors.

IMG_20201212_181118782_HDR.jpg

I'm doing my 1968 Cuda now and am deciding between Omni or PPG for the base coat. My fender tag color code is PP1 in PPG Code- 71483. The price of PPG here in NY is over $300 a quart right now- insanity. Omni would save me a buck. Is PPG worth the extra coin? It's a good chunk of change for me and I need to decide- PPG or Omni? Any experience or info would be much appreciated.
Tim
I can HIGHLY recommend paint from TCP Global. I don't know who makes their house brand paint, but it is truly excellent. I've used it several times now, and I can assure you that it sprays as nicely, covers as well and the clear lays down and polishes out as well as ANY paint I have ever used. Go to the TCP website, select paint, select Auto Color Library, enter the year and make, and that year's color chip sheet pops up. Then you select the kind of paint you want. It will run about half of what you will pay for name brand, and you will not be disappointed. Plus they seal every body repair supply you will ever need. You should seriously consider their paint. I painted my 69 Barracuda 8 years ago with their paint. Feel free to PM me for more details.

Cuda35.JPG
Cuda59.JPG

Cuda62.JPG

Cuda35.jpg

Tim
Omni will save you some $$ for sure. Just remember depending on how “transparent” the color is will require more to be put on.I have used both for many projects over the years and been very happy. The lighter color especially metallics Omni can require MANY Coates to get uniform color and coverage. You spraying this yourself ?? Or hiring out to do it ?? Either way time and materials adds up to $$$…Good luck Swingn’

Omni will save you some $$ for sure. Just remember depending on how “transparent” the color is will require more to be put on.I have used both for many projects over the years and been very happy. The lighter color especially metallics Omni can require MANY Coates to get uniform color and coverage. You spraying this yourself ?? Or hiring out to do it ?? Either way time and materials adds up to $$$…Good luck Swingn’
Thanks Swingn'. I'm hiring out. Matador Red is kinda' light. My paint guy wanted me to pick up PPG and when I told him the price they're getting he said consider Omni. He is good so either way it will come out sweet. Not sure though if Omni will look as deep or rich as PPG no matter how good he does it. Hence here I am deciding.

I can HIGHLY recommend paint from TCP Global. I don't know who makes their house brand paint, but it is truly excellent. I've used it several times now, and I can assure you that it sprays as nicely, covers as well and the clear lays down and polishes out as well as ANY paint I have ever used. Go to the TCP website, select paint, select Auto Color Library, enter the year and make, and that year's color chip sheet pops up. Then you select the kind of paint you want. It will run about half of what you will pay for name brand, and you will not be disappointed. Plus they seal every body repair supply you will ever need. You should seriously consider their paint. I painted my 69 Barracuda 8 years ago with their paint. Feel free to PM me for more details.

View attachment 1715885522 View attachment 1715885523

View attachment 1715885526

View attachment 1715885529
Thanks harrisonm. Gorgeous paint on a gorgeous car. I'm going to ask my guy who is doing the spraying about TCP. I know he uses PPG and Omni not sure if he has used TCP and if not whether he'll be open to one he hasn't used. I just went on TCP and priced out a gallon of Red Matador urethane base coat for $425 a gallon! Major deal and from looking at your car their paint has amazing rich tone. Gonna PM you. Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks Swingn'. I'm hiring out. Matador Red is kinda' light. My paint guy wanted me to pick up PPG and when I told him the price they're getting he said consider Omni. He is good so either way it will come out sweet. Not sure though if Omni will look as deep or rich as PPG no matter how good he does it. Hence here I am deciding.

Base coat is mostly just color. The paint job is all in the clear.

Going with DuPont Clear. Just want to make sure the paint color has nice tone and depth to it and covers nice and last.

Going with DuPont Clear. Just want to make sure the paint color has nice tone and depth to it and covers nice and last.

Hey tcgilly,
I would check with the paint companies before using a different clear brand than the base coat paint. I was always advised to use the same brand for base and clear coat. Never had any issues doing this.
Be very interesting to hear what the professional painters on our site have to say about this.

Cheers!

Stick with one paint line. PPG and Dupont have "codes and formulas" for older paint codes. They are usually not the best. I sprayed PPG for 20 years and was glad when I didn't have to anymore. Omni is transparent and will require double the amount to achieve coverage.

I did always have good luck with PPG's clears... 2042 for production and 2002 for restorations.. have heard good things about 2021 also.

I have an original B5 Blue Demon, and had it mixed in multiple formulas by my jobber in Omni, and DBC.. neither was remotely close.

I have sprayed Spies Hecker and their basecoat was good... the production clear we used was garbage... High solid clear, "ultra" high solid catalyst... Sprayed like glue and was hard to lay down. I am sure they have a much better "restoration" clear.

My all time favorite product that I have used and am currently using is Akzo Nobel/Sikkens Auto Base. This is a solvent basecoat and is far superior to any PPG I have used. Coverage is great, sealers are awesome, and the clears are some of the best I have used. I use a color camera daily and it hits probably 95% of the time with only pressure adjustments needed to get the perfect tone you need. There really are no need for formulas pre-1990 when you have a sample that can be scanned.

Here is a Fusion I painted this morning. And the BMW I sprayed the hood and matched to the bumper better than OEM.

Paint1.jpg

Paint2.jpg

Paint3.jpg

Very cool! BTW, were they blends or did you paint the panels separately!

Great info on the paints , Thanks for posting this!!

Very cool! BTW, were they blends or did you paint the panels separately!

Great info on the paints , Thanks for posting this!!
The BMW is butt matched to the bumper. The Fusion is UG which is white pearl three stage so blending is done. Hood replaced fenders blended. Right now I am doing W8 white which is a Hyundai white tri coat. Anither UG this afternoon. 3 three stages jobs in one day. Yay for me.

The BMW is butt matched to the bumper. The Fusion is UG which is white pearl three stage so blending is done. Hood replaced fenders blended. Right now I am doing W8 white which is a Hyundai white tri coat. Anither UG this afternoon. 3 three stages jobs in one day. Yay for me.

Great work, especially the BMW. Metallics layed out perfect. Great match which is very very hard to do with blue.

3 Three stages... Busy day for you LOL !!

Tim
Great work, especially the BMW. Metallics layed out perfect. Great match which is very very hard to do with blue.

3 Three stages... Busy day for you LOL !!
I used PPG Shopline round $112.00 a qt and PPG 2021 clear. I don’t know how it will hold up, but it looks very good.

-
Back