Preheating Joe Gibbs break in oil to 180F

-
Heat tabs under the oil pan overnight.....worked in Germany on army trucks in the winter. Buddy told me that.

What I would do, is take the old ladies best pan and bring the oil to a slow boil. then you won't have to worry if the oil is 180 temp . the old lady would take care of all the worries. lol

Alrighty Khalid, I think we are both right.

Formula 1 engines in fact run through an extended preparation cycle before actually starting the engine, and all vital fluids get preheated to 140°F (which is 60°C) before they start it, and then the engine gets further warmed up to operating temps while sitting in the pits.
But that the engine won't turn over cold (which is room temperature to me) I consider horse manure.
But really I am not gonna start a fight here... :)

Last edited:

Formula 1 engines in fact run through an extended preparation cycle before actually starting the engine, and all vital fluids get preheated to 140°F (which is 60°C) before they start it, and then the engine gets further warmed up to operating temps while sitting in the box.
But that the engine won't turn over cold (which is room temperature to me) I consider horse manure.
I once saw a documentary show on TV about a group trying to recover a relatively intact B29 bomber that landed in some remote part of Alaska around the end of WW2 and had been abandoned. They could only work on it in the summer months, but they planned to make it airworthy and fly it out of there. They rebuilt the engines for it, and swapped them into it. I remember they had to hand rotate the props for (I think) hours, before they could start the engines up. Whether it was to warm the engines up, or pre lube them, or both I can't remember.

I once saw a documentary show on TV about a group trying to recover a relatively intact B29 bomber that landed in some remote part of Alaska around the end of WW2 and had been abandoned. They could only work on it in the summer months, but they planned to make it airworthy and fly it out of there. They rebuilt the engines for it, and swapped them into it. I remember they had to hand rotate the props for (I think) hours, before they could start the engines up. Whether it was to warm the engines up, or pre lube them, or both I can't remember.

On a radial engine, you must always turn the prop before engine start. On the bottom most cylinders, oil seeps and collects in the combustion chamber, which could cause a hydrolock. They just take the spark plugs out and the oil will gravity drain. This is most likely what they were doing.

On a radial engine, you must always turn the prop before engine start. On the bottom most cylinders, oil seeps and collects in the combustion chamber, which could cause a hydrolock. They just take the spark plugs out and the oil will gravity drain. This is most likely what they were doing.
for hours?

The video is "flight of the key bird"

It's on you tube and is EXCELLENT. Any one who is a mechanic should watch it.

Another great one is "Glaicer Girl" also a excellent movie and free on you tube.

Check em out.

Formula 1 engines in fact run through an extended preparation cycle before actually starting the engine, and all vital fluids get preheated to 140°F (which is 60°C) before they start it, and then the engine gets further warmed up to operating temps while sitting in the box.

No disagreements here, I'm nowhere near an expert on F1 stuff or even full-tilt racing engines just spouting random facts I'd heard lol. I misheard that they wouldn't turn over from a short documentary on F1 engines when they actually just vaguely said "it wouldn't run" and would wear out instantly...

The video is "flight of the key bird"

It's on you tube and is EXCELLENT. Any one who is a mechanic should watch it.

Another great one is "Glaicer Girl" also a excellent movie and free on you tube.

Check em out.
yeah, that is correct. My mistake is it was in northern Greenland. I looked it up on YouTube and kind of skimmed thru it. I think it might be a condensed version, because I never saw some of the scenes I remember, one of which is them hand rotating the props, and they severely edited the demise. Originally it was a NOVA special.

Yes it was a NOVA but I dont think that version is free.

It is one of the most interesting movies I have ever seen.

After saying that Glaicer girl is right on par with it.

I can't Express how great those two movies are....

Yeah and then somehow, it caught on fire and burned to the ground.

Because the mechanic worked him self to death and the new guy ducked up, didn't strap down a tool box. The box hit the APU, caused a fire and burned the entire operation...

So said... all that work ducked off by a shifty mechanic.

Had the one guy been alive she would have flown home.

Because the mechanic worked him self to death and the new guy ducked up, didn't strap down a tool box. The box hit the APU, caused a fire and burned the entire operation...

So said... all that work ducked off by a shifty mechanic.

Had the one guy been alive she would have flown home.
In the original version, IIRC, they also blamed the pilot. He was taxiing too fast, and he was going off script. I'm sure they were all tired, stressed, and in too much of a rush, so they cut some corners. It's too bad, that was a really good candidate for restoration, and they killed it.

-
Back