pressure reg mounting.

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Am I ok mounting my regulator like this. Its out of site but not touching anything other then the block were it mounted. Will the vibration be to much for it ?

IM000042.jpg

IM000041.jpg

How difficult will it be to reach the adjusting screw and lock nut while the engine is running? Looks like it might be tricky.

It may be. I'll take a look. May need a real long allen wrench or set it with the alt off.

i wouldnt worry about adjusting it. thats not too common. if you search on mcmaster's website they have some little sandwich like motor mounts for stuff like that. I was looking at them for my holley pump if i needed them. Wouldnt hurt for some vibration dampening if you have the room

I'm sure you already thought of this but I would mount it somewhere on the right fender well. That's where I mounted mine to keep down heat, vibration and have ease of access.

I think Adam is trying to hide it as much as possible so the motor will look stock as it can. Adam are you going to run a stock style pump? and if you are, why do you need the reg?

Chuck

Chuck is right. Im trying to hide as much as possible. I have a Carter mechanicle strip pump that is set for 8psi I think. I also have a Holley Red pump for back up. I dont think Im going to need the regulator just want to be ready if I do.

I know that Holley doesn't recommend any more than 7psi on their carbs, but I don't recall what carb you're using.

AdamR said:
Chuck is right. Im trying to hide as much as possible. I have a Carter mechanicle strip pump that is set for 8psi I think. I also have a Holley Red pump for back up. I dont think Im going to need the regulator just want to be ready if I do.

Oh OK. Maybe mount it under the car somewhere inline or would that be cheesey?

AdamR said:
I have a Thermoquad. I think my pumps are rated at 6.5 to 8 psi.

I've heard no more than 6 psi on the TQ but I'm no expert on those carbs. Sorry Adam, Hopefully someone else can answer this question. I'm kinda curious too.

You shouldn't need the regulator at all. I'd leave it off or if you want to hide it mount it to the outlet of the electric pump. The mechanical pump does not require or need a regulator. In fact the red pump does not need a regulator either.

AdamR said:
It would need to be after the fuel pump though.

Oh yeah that's right.....I just had the Holley electric fuel pump so fuel went to the regulator and then to the carb.

Guitar Jones said:
You shouldn't need the regulator at all. I'd leave it off or if you want to hide it mount it to the outlet of the electric pump. The mechanical pump does not require or need a regulator. In fact the red pump does not need a regulator either.

I had the Holley blue pump and that sucker needed a regulator. I've seen it go up past 9 psi before I backed it back just to see what it would do. You might want to have a gauge installed somewhere after the regulator. I found it quiet convenient to have.

id be more worried about the heat off that header tube. looks close

I just went through some trouble with a 6902 Carter mech pump. It was pushing 8-9 psi to my Demonsizzler built TQ, the needles and seats lasted a week before leaking. I picked up the Holley regulator mounted it to the inner fender and replaced the needles and seats. I also thought of tucking the regulator some place out of view but all the open areas were too close to the exhaust or radiator hoses.

mullinax95 said:
I had the Holley blue pump and that sucker needed a regulator. I've seen it go up past 9 psi before I backed it back just to see what it would do. You might want to have a gauge installed somewhere after the regulator. I found it quiet convenient to have.

The blue pump is different than the red pump. You absolutely need a regulator with a blue pump, not so with the red.

I run two blue pumps with 19 psi springs in them. Two regulators both set a 9 psi. with my Demon carb. Never had a flooding problem.

doug 371
im getting the holley 12-360-11 mech. pump. same gph as a blue, no reg required

Guitar Jones

Running a regulator would always be a good idea. Tell me what would it hurt to run one, do you think there is a down side to having one. You need to maintain correct pressure throughout the driving range. How else can you be curtain that your pressure is correct at 4500 rpms going down the road? Before I ran a regulator I would see as much as 12psi at the carb. I always had flooding problems. Now the car set to 8psi can sit for weeks and all I have to do is turn the key and she fire right up. No pumping, NO holding the pedal to the floor.

I mounted that same regulator on my 340. I will get some pics on here of it in the morning. Too maybe help you get some ideas of where you would like to put it.

My main concern with that location would be adjusting it as the car is running. You are going to have to contend with the belt taking your arm off [-X and also every thing in that area will melt your skin right off with just a little touch. :angry4:

-
Back