primer issues. HELP !!!!

-
Ok. Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but if you sand it won't that then mix what you are trying to remove with what is under the epoxy?

Since it's a trunk lid would it be better to strip it to bare metal and start over.

Ray, its pretty much the entire car. All I can do is start stripping it and see how I feel once the high build is off. Epoxy is is tough stuff so likely the epoxy if fine. I will probably sand all the high build off and respray one panel to see how it reacts before respraying everything.

Ray, its pretty much the entire car. All I can do is start stripping it and see how I feel once the high build is off. Epoxy is is tough stuff so likely the epoxy if fine. I will probably sand all the high build off and respray one panel to see how it reacts before respraying everything.

Sorry I thought it was just the deck lid that lifted.

Subscribed, I gotta see how this turns out as I will be priming soon.

NO PAINT FOR YOU!!!.....lol

D.A. what you did and reshoot it. Someone mentioned cure time earlier in this thread. Not sure about the product your using but with DP that stuff doesn't cure for 27 days. You are looking for dry time not cure time. Once the reducer flashes off it is a chemical reaction that hardens the epoxy. You want the fillier primer to adhere to the epoxy so you don't want the epoxy to cure.

Sand it with 180, wipe it down with wax and grease remove and reshoot it... Roll with it! Don't overanalize! No need to strip it unless there is a problem with the epoxy. From what I see that wasn't the issue, assuming you followed proper procedure with the acid wash/etch. I don't know if you put the epoxy straight to bare metal or if the product you used has etching properties.

Like I said before, could be several things. Ford had a mass recall on the early 2000's trucks due to paint on the top of the fenders, hoods and roofs "Crowfooting". Overapplication was the culprit! Looked similar to your pics.

Heres the epoxy I used. I followed the tech sheet but stuff happens. Although Im no expert its not my first time spraying primer or transtar products. At first I was going to wait a day to spray the high build but the forecast for the week isnt the best and I wanted to get it on before the 72hr window was up.

http://www.tat-co.com/products/preps-and-primers/2k-epoxy-primer-sealer-6164/

Ford had a mass recall on the early 2000's trucks due to paint on the top of the fenders, hoods and roofs "Crowfooting". Overapplication was the culprit! Looked similar to your pics.

Ive seen a bunch of Explorers peeling on the hoods. They seem to start underneath at the seams.

-
Back