Pro Touring Cuda

-
krazed that is one good looking barracuda do you have any more pictures?

Im kinda doing the "pro touring" thing, but im kinda resto moding it also. Im using the alterktion up front, leaf srpings in the back and 5.7 hemi under the hood. I read an artical in a 64 Motor Trend Magazine and it had an artical about "Gran Touring" which is where the word GT comes from. The artical described what Gran touring was about. In the aritcal it had a list of cars that were legit Gt cars, pretenders, and whanna bes. It had my 64 dart gt on the whanna be list. Which ment with some effort it would make a real GT car. So in an effort to earn my 64s "GT" emblem, i decided to update it with some modern stuff and get its horsepower up into 1960s corvette range. Gran Touring is kinda of an event inwhich you plan a trip, get in your car, and you head out with a goal of reaching a destination each day. You dont stop for too long along the way and only really stop to relax when you reach the final destination (which should be a few days away). Kinda of a rushed road trip.
So I guess my car is gonna be "pro touring" car with the update im making, but i like to think of it as a Gran Touring car. I know, whats in a word?

Yep. Social D and Misfits too.

awesome! are you the REAL chuck biscuits? or just using the great name? (be honest now.)

btw i saw hardcore 81' in a record store on the wall about 8 years ago for like $95.if i remember correctly, that and something better change were out of print within a year of release.

sorry to side track the thread. the pro touring idea is sounding like the way to go for comfort and handling. i have ridden in a few updated brand x cars and they felt awesome.

600x400.jpg

Something like this maybe?

I never posted a project log, but that was taken before I even re-did everything.

I have a nice long list of mods done, and waiting to be done still, but all on a budget.

Krazed your barracuda looks awesome. Show us a list of current and future mods.

Come bring it down to So Cal with all the other Mopar handling and pro touring cars for the Spring Fling Speed Festival May 1, 2008.

Anyone else interested????

IMG_2579.jpg

dr_bob_3_resize.jpg

IMG_2869.jpg

i am thinking about it this year steve. now that i have sway bars,(yeah!). i have to bust my *** to finish the car by then.

Krazed your barracuda looks awesome. Show us a list of current and future mods.

Come bring it down to So Cal with all the other Mopar handling and pro touring cars for the Spring Fling Speed Festival May 1, 2008.

Anyone else interested????

I would love to, but I'm in Alaska! And My wife and I are expecting a baby in June, so I doubt she'd much appreciate me being gone the month it would take to drive down there and back.

I'll get you guys a nice little "Resto" thread one of these days when I have more free time. Between work and doctor visits, I've been swamped.

i am thinking about it this year steve. now that i have sway bars,(yeah!). i have to bust my *** to finish the car by then.

Bring it on down and get ready to have fun.

What's there to finish? I thought you drove it down last year.

Mark from Alberta Canada came down and said it was the most fun he'd ever had with a car ever. He brought a SRT-6 Crossfire. Another guy drove his EFI /6 Dart from Virgina!

Krazed, no problem. It's got to be tough time for you, not to mention the distance. But sometimes you never know, Barry Washington drives down from Alaska.

yeah i did drive it down last year. right now i am about to pull the engine/trans and have the engine bay painted, new wiring, paint my rear rims, etc. i have to have it finished by mid april to go to pacific coast dream machines and then spring fling.

I really like the pro touring look also. I have a 75 Dart that I am either wanting to do as pro touring or as a 70's "Trans Am" look, lowered down on some panasports possibly, front spoiler............whata you think?

I really like the pro touring look also. I have a 75 Dart that I am either wanting to do as pro touring or as a 70's "Trans Am" look, lowered down on some panasports possibly, front spoiler............whata you think?

Sounds cool.

Like a what if:

1975 Dart T/A....
  • Front discountinued MP spoiler
  • Rear discountinued MP spoiler
  • grafted on 70 T/A Challenger hood scoop or a dual snorkle mid 70's A-body scoop
  • rallye A-body mirrors in body color paint
  • grafted in Challenger flip top gas cap.

BTW The panasports are two piece bolted rims and the screws deter from the original minilite look. They do still make 15x7 and 15x8 minilites. Also PS Engineering makes minilites and they look really awesome. But not cheap.

About a year ago I had this crazy idea of building an early 60's dodge short bed pro touring style. Only problem was I couldn't find an early 60's short bed. I was planning on going 4 wheel independent suspension and even aquired a complete rear end from a 06 Magnum. Wanted to try and keep it all mopar. I only got as far as getting the rear end:munky2:

Sounds cool.

Like a what if:

1975 Dart T/A....
  • Front discountinued MP spoiler
  • Rear discountinued MP spoiler
  • grafted on 70 T/A Challenger hood scoop or a dual snorkle mid 70's A-body scoop
  • rallye A-body mirrors in body color paint
  • grafted in Challenger flip top gas cap.
BTW The panasports are two piece bolted rims and the screws deter from the original minilite look. They do still make 15x7 and 15x8 minilites. Also PS Engineering makes minilites and they look really awesome. But not cheap.

EXACTLY my idea! just wondering how it would look with that long trunk on the dart. American racing also makes a minilite look. what width wheels did they run on the T/A cars in the day? also like the side exit exhaust on them. will have to start a Trans Am thread. sorry to highjack this one for a second. d

EXACTLY my idea! just wondering how it would look with that long trunk on the dart. American racing also makes a minilite look. what width wheels did they run on the T/A cars in the day? also like the side exit exhaust on them. will have to start a Trans Am thread. sorry to highjack this one for a second. d

15x8 around 69 and later.

Problem is they make no wide nor decent tires in that size. Maybe some Mickey Thompson or Hoosier street tires??

You need to run a 265/50/15 to give it that wide look. May car has 245/50/15's and they don't make tires for it anymore.

If I were you, I would step up to some 16x8 or 17x9's that have a trans am look. Look at Vintage Wheel Works.

You can run 17x9's and 275/40/17 on that Dart Sport with carefull fitting and backspacing.

I have lots of pics but they're not digital - yet. I'm way behind the times in that regard. The only critical measurement is centering the cross member. You just have to make sure that the new lower A-arm is basically in the same place in regard to the frame rails as the original lower conrol arm. Once that's done everything else follows. Before removing the original suspension just scribe a line from the center of the lower conrol arm to the frame rail then center the new cross member to that line. You'll also have to fab new motor mounts.

Chuckbizkits
I sent you a PM about the Mustang II. We are very seriously considering this. Any chance I could take a look at yours? I live in north OC as well. What oil pan did you use? Rear sump?
Thanks,

Big brakes, wheels and tires with almost even tire size (width) from front to back. Upgraded handling, possibly lowered a bit. Lots of power and a lot of guys go the centrifugal supercharging route with fuel injection. Comfy seats and a highway rear gear. Clean exterior styling. Here's an example of a Charger done in the protouring style: http://www.lateral-g.net/members/musto/

Did I miss anything? Let me know.

i know that charger from the dodge charger forums. Mike is building a Daytona right now that will be even better than Mr Angry. he is calling it Angrier. it is supposed to be done by the end of this month. ill link you guys when he posts pics and specs.

we're also going this route with both our cars.
a little more on the high speed open road race side.
damn this hobby is expensive! :-D

-
Back