Problems Putting in the selector shaft seal

-

glhx

Reaction score
Can I drill the floor board and drive the seal in through the top of the car? It has no carpet. Then just plug the hole. Going to look at this tomorrow

When I parked the car for a week or so. The fluid all leaked out. I don't know where from but I'm guessing it came from one of the two seals on the shifter shaft.

i have the seal out. The transmission is still in the car. In its original place. I didn't want to move the exhaust down.

The valve body is out.

I'm having a hard time getting the new seal back in. I've already ruined one.
I tried putting it in with a socket and clamp. It went in crooked but I was able to get it back out fine. It was that crooked.

Tried using a large bolt with well fitting washers and a nut to tighten it in.
Some how it crush the top of the seal.

It's a 904 in a dart.

Also.......I bought a new seal for tomorrow. It's duaralast 8906.

It didn't some with the inner seal for the kickdown shaft. I got that with a little kit that included both seals

It's taller than the original. How much will this matter? I think it will be fine.

sure you can cut the floorboard. Use a holesaw. I tapped mine in when the convertor was out using a socket, drove it right in. Suppose a nut and washer could pull it in too.

sure you can cut the floorboard. Use a holesaw. I tapped mine in when the convertor was out using a socket, drove it right in. Suppose a nut and washer could pull it in too.

See, I tried that
Even though the washers were heavy. And perfect outside diameter.....they crushed the inside part of the metal ring.

My only guess is that the bolt threads caught it going in because the bolt was too big..

I ground the area down where the seal hole is and was going to hit it tomorrow. Might just drill it for good measure but I don't see it leaking there again for the next 20 years.

Last edited:
Many years ago a old school service tech I worked with explained to me, "sure, If you peel the carpet back and drill through the floor pan in the right spot you might knock that seal in with a socket and extension but... You would need a helper under the car to guide and control since you can't see what is happening underneath. You'll work closer to the dash than you might imagine also which restricts drill access and your hammer swing/blow."
So I'll just suggest you sight a line and punch mark where your hole should be from underneath, Then look inside at where you would work.
fast forward to about 4 years ago, That selector shaft seal started leaking in my current 67 notch. I dropped exhaust pipes from manifolds, removed dist' cap ( 273 ) and trans cross member section/support so I could tilt the trans as far as upper radiator hose and motor supports would allow. Successfully replaced that seal. All good? Nope, Approx' 4 months later the front trans seal began to leak. Stands to reason since all these shaft seals are the same age. That seal still leaks today, and a hellofa lot more than the selector shaft seal did. :( Good luck with yours

Last edited:
The taller seal is to move the sealing lip to an unworn shaft area.
I pulled mine in with an allthread, washers and nuts without issue.

The taller seal is to move the sealing lip to an unworn shaft area.
I pulled mine in with an allthread, washers and nuts without issue.
man, I can't remember where I recently saw it, but there is a tool for removing and installing the seal in the car. Probably Lisle, or KD, or OTC. Maybe someone else has seen it, or has it.

man, I can't remember where I recently saw it, but there is a tool for removing and installing the seal in the car. Probably Lisle, or KD, or OTC. Maybe someone else has seen it, or has it.

I still have one of the tools for a GM350 and 400 from a past life, but not one for Chrysler.
You can get them on Ebay, and this is the one for 904/727.

121031A.jpg

I still have one of the tools for a GM350 and 400 from a past life, but not one for Chrysler.
You can get them on Ebay, and this is the one for 904/727.

View attachment 1715071056

I used that one for my gm and it made that job very easy.
This one.....I found the smaller one (kickdown) harder to get in than the bigger one. Getting the clip in there was a tight fit.

The bigger one went in finally. I had to grind the threads off in the center of a bolt and use washers on top and bottom..

The filter was very old and the pan was full of dirt......or black stuff. Maybe friction material.

I then went to the speedometer housing and changed both of those. It was leaking some there as well.

Then went to the dip stick. Didn't know what size onring to get so I'm going to sort that out tomorrow.

What it was.....
I would park the car and the transmission would leak out all the fluid.
Where from......don't know....
Wasn't the pan....I know that....

I changed that gasket thinking it was the pan. It never was.
In fact......I would change all of them with any pan gasket change if I thought that's where it was leaking from.

Hopefully this fixes it.

I'm hoping the friction material wasn't from the lack of a kickdown linkage. I ran the car without it a few times.
It's all sorted now with the correct 340 kickdown rods and such with the 4 barrel conversion.

I understood if the car leaked while not running, the fluid level had to be higher than the leak while running. That points to the dipstick O-ring. Then there is a potential leak area at the pivot pin where it is visible at the back of the case on the exterior. IIRC the 727 had the same issue. trans fluid is some very low surface tension stuff, meaning it can really get into tiny cracks and porous materials.

What can you tell me about this pivot pin leak.

Does the valve body have to come out?

The pan is back on but there no fluid in there right now atall so it would be a good time to fix anything inside that can cause a leak

I looked at my transmission.
Does the 904 torquflite have this pivot pin o ring. I don't see a place for it.

The transmission is out of a 76 charger.

I looked at my transmission.
Does the 904 torquflite have this pivot pin o ring. I don't see a place for it.

The transmission is out of a 76 charger.

It's between the extension housing and the rear of the main section of the case and is partially hidden when the extension housing is on.
FYI, there is also a cork gasket under a plate where the trans mount bolts to the trans.

001.JPG

I saw something like that.
I don't know for 100% sure but what it looked like on mine.

The tail shaft housing has that tab that hides the pin, except, the tab closes off the pin and compresses the gasket between the tail shaft housing and the transmission.

On some of the ones i saw. The tab hangs down and prevents the pin from sliding out.

Mine is completely closed off. Is this possible?
or was it an illusion cause by a bad angle.

I saw something like that.
I don't know for 100% sure but what it looked like on mine.

The tail shaft housing has that tab that hides the pin, except, the tab closes off the pin and compresses the gasket between the tail shaft housing and the transmission.

On some of the ones i saw. The tab hangs down and prevents the pin from sliding out.

Mine is completely closed off. Is this possible?
or was it an illusion cause by a bad angle.

The pin is usually only partially covered. (or should I say mostly covered)

-
Back