Problems with rolling down window...

-

moparfreak77

Reaction score
On the driver side front window of my 68 Valiant, it is kinda tricky to get the window to roll down. It goes up fine but when it comes to rolling it down I have to put my hand flat against the window and push it up to level it out before it can go down. If I dont, it just binds up and stops. Any ideas?

most likely a regulator but you need to take the door panel off and check to see how it sits in the tracks and everything else.

2 door or 4 door ? The 2 door cars have plastic guides in the forward track that wear out. It is always the drivers window (most used). If the bearing behind the winder handle is worn out that handle will have a lot of wiggle and backlash to it. That is fixable also.

hey i was an auto glass guy and have same problem with my val, its probably just a bad track, plastic crap wears out just becarful not to let it jam, when weather gets better iam going to fix mine with either new track(custom) or something i'll let you know what fixed it when i do it if you already havnt solved the prob

I do have the door panel off but its hard to see what is going on as when the window gets to the top you cant see the track anymore. Where can you get new guides? It is a 2 door. thanks.

If those forward glass guides are worn out the window should rock in and out of that track. Does it like up with the quarter glass? If the top giude gives up the 2 stainless glass trims will hit.
YearOne sells a repop of forward glass guide package. A ebay seller (FredrickDodge ?) had the OEM pieces but they weren't cheap.
I tend to think the problem may in your hand though, meaning the regulater.
That bearing assembly at the winder handle may be all you need to replace to fix the current problem. May as well replace those guides and forget it for another 40 years. LOL

I use a bearing assembly from a rear window regulator since those have less wear to restore the drivers door reg. At the bone yard the needed part is easiest robbed from a 4 door car.

If you have the door panel off already it`s only 3 bolts to remove the regulator. I`d go ahead and remove the regulator and try it without anything hooked to it to see how smooth it is. This will help tell you whether the problem is in the regulator or elsewhere. While the regulator is out you can manually push the window up and down and see if you can make it bind. The front and rear glass channels should be lubed and checked for proper glass fit. While things are apart a good cleaning and lubrication will help things glide along when you reassemble.

-
Back