Procomp rockers???

-
Aren't there only 2 choices for bronze bushed rockers (prw stainless and comp pro mags), or can you have it done?

I hear good things about hughes, but they said you have to grind them to get them to fit springs with dampeners, and don't think aluminum is a good idea for rockers.

I like what doesn't break, the function of the bearing is nice and why anybody would be buying them if there was no benifit I don't know...I say the same reason they buy comp or hughes=someone sold them on it.
The harlands tech r & d derives from racing competition.

somethings there people.lol

I'm sure there's an advantage.....but not enough for ME to go with a cheap immitation. Since I cannot afford nearly a grand for Harland Sharps, I will use the factory ones and have them bushed.

Aren't there only 2 choices for bronze bushed rockers (prw stainless and comp pro mags), or can you have it done?

I hear good things about hughes, but they said you have to grind them to get them to fit springs with dampeners, and don't think aluminum is a good idea for rockers.

Does anyone think the PRW are make in the USA?

I've already run the chinese needle rockers, for the money I'm satisfied.
Just like a drag motor and certain parts, shorter tear down inspection intervals lets you know when it's time to change'em.

Most drag racers I talked to who run this type say 2-3 seasons then they get new ones.

Does anyone think the PRW are make in the USA?

Hey tony, what needle bearing part number do your harlands use?
If you don't have them , my mistake..thought you did.

There were 3 sets of 'harland sharps' at spring fling for 175 rockers only, but they had 6 point adj nuts and the INA145/6 bearings..

I'm curious if they are the old harlands or just knock off's...

the harlands I've seen use 12 point adj.

those don't fit around my springs, and my springs are the smallest ones (weight) that comp sells. after i decided I was going to toss them, i decided to grind on them to see if they will fit, i took a lot off and they barely clear, no way i will run them now.

now it is between the prw stainless and he pro magnums, but 550$ is a lot of dough for rockers.

There were 3 sets of 'harland sharps' at spring fling for 175 rockers only, but they had 6 point adj nuts and the INA145/6 bearings..

I will go look in awhile...going to watch the fight on hbo first...lol

As the the valve lifts, the retainer/rocker clearance grows...

I ran these to 7200 rpm on with my 340 and 410 stroker with 370 psi open pressure.
I use 1.80 1.43 comp spring and manley 1.43 on the 410.

they only hit when I did not line up the rollers/valve tips, after that fix they never hit again.

:munky2:
I ran aluminum off brand 'ohio crank' rockers that have needle bearings, worked great.
I only had to retire one from too much side play, too much side play on ANY needle bearing rocker [HARLAND SHARP] will lead to race failure where the rollers eat into the race causing play and the race's outer edge to actually ride the shaft, but in my case it took years....
HOWEVER if you were to have the correct .010 side play that wouldn't happen and...there would be no way for any needle bearings to come out unless the shafts disintegrated and rocker body shattered.lol

Most people who have bad things to say about needle bearing rockers have never personally ran them.
ime/jmo
or had them on a big block chevy!!

blue........

Attachments

• Picture 410b.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 341

So for the sake of the question, what bearing part number do those use?

Harland Sharp is USA-SCE-146
procomp is SCE-146
CAT is HK-22.2 x 9.5

Attachments

• IMG_0502.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0503.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 312
Harland Sharp is USA-SCE-146
procomp is SCE-146
CAT is HK-22.2 x 9.5
yours are the ina, the same as the ones at the show for 175
My ohio crankshaft roller tips have the same harland sharp looking bearing sce146, notice how much tighter the bearing pack is 'closer together' with the harland/cat/ohio's , it looks like pro comps are spread further apart and bigger but they have a sce146 spec bearing too.

And heres cranes cast aluminum attempt...
The pro comps are extruded from billet like most of them are-extruded =which is heated billet thats rammed through a die that compresses the grain structure 'tighter' , how tight/hard/brittle depends upon app.

But again, it wasn't the needle bearings..

Attachments

• Dsc00116.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 262
  • Dsc00117.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 208
As long as there is metal work there are gonna be defects, regardless of who does it, thats why we have non destructive testing.

But is it worth it to NDI rocker arms, not really, especially for the manufacturer, cheaper just to replace broken ones in the long run.

They could have followed there procedures to a "T" when making these things but impurities in metal can't all be "filtered" out.

There are a lot of variables, stuff like resonance that could very well originate from somewhere else, but that is way out of most of our understanding, so why try. Just buy what you can, and if it doesnt work well, try something else. Think about the 273 rockers, there are a lot of those still going strong and they are still highly desirable, but they are made from brittle cast iron made with 1960's technology and who knows how pure the metal was, but they still work and have a great rep. So once again, one of those things I think people over analyze, not everything is a sure bet, it wouldnt be hot rodding if you didnt waste money on some crap that breaks or you will never use.

-
Back