Procomp rockers???

-

T67POWER

Reaction score
Anybody using these rockers????
Do you like them????
I was thinking of getting a set for one of my small blocks.
It would be nice to use a set of 1.6 ratio rockers for cheap.
It's the cheap part that I'm not so sure about. :burnout:
Thanks for any info.

Do you like them????
Thanks for any info.

I personally went with hughes because I believe they are the best for the buck. Twie the price, but I think they are probably a good deal stronger.
If your cam/spring combo is fairly mild though, I think they'll do fine.

Stay away from the cheap chinese stuff. I run the Comp Cams Pro Magnum rockers and they have worked great so far. The Hughes rockers are very nice too.

Well after seeing some of the Pro Comp stuff I'd stay away from them although I have not personally seen their rockers.

Stay away from the cheap chinese stuff. I run the Comp Cams Pro Magnum rockers and they have worked great so far. The Hughes rockers are very nice too.
X2 you get what you pay for, I got a set of Harland Sharps 1.6's off ebay, just like new, $250.00 Stay away from the China stuff, put Procomp in google you'll see a bunch of complaints/failures on them.

Well after seeing some of the Pro Comp stuff I'd stay away from them although I have not personally seen their rockers.

Pro Comp is becoming a big company who is using a lot of American Made stuff in their product line as well as foreign made where others refuse to come down to reality.

They have my support.

Check out their online catalog when you have the time and see for yourself. A couple items in particular I really like are their competition radiators, and their HEI distributor works every bit as good as the ones costing twice the price.

Look at the radiator...inlets and outlets are reversible and they have threaded inserts for mounting. Every bit as nice in person as they show in the picture...and many other products they make or have made are too.

image.php

I have had plenty of american made parts go to **** quick due to inferior quality.

So I just go with what seems appropriate with blinders on as to where it comes from.

Whoever makes what I need for the best price and decent quality is what I use. I can cite several examples of foreign made parts are are great.
I have no bias and the more places in general willing to make parts, the happier I am.

Problem with cheap rockers is when the roller tip comes off it will cause the keeper to come off and the valve drops into the cylinder and its bye bye engine. Too many failures out there on those cheap rockers and the consequences are grave not worth trying to save a buck there.

Problem with cheap rockers is when the roller tip comes off it will cause the keeper to come off and the valve drops into the cylinder and its bye bye engine. Too many failures out there on those cheap rockers and the consequences are grave not worth trying to save a buck there.
Yep, or it breaks in half and 50 little needle bearings go all through the engine in 10 seconds, they will lock an oil pump right up.

Its one thing if something breaks and you can just replace it, totally different when a $200 item breaks and you need a new engine, block even

And it will break, question is just when. Even those $500 arms break but not until they get totally abused in real racing engines

Ran a set of Pro Comp 1.5 aluminium roller rockers on a 340 bracket racer for two years...

cam was a hughes 256/265 with .587/.602 lift.....

no needle bearing came out...no roller tips broke off.. still in box ready to be used again.

i have a set on the shelf,they seem very solid,except they wont clear my valve springs.if your srings are around 1.5" od youll have the same problem.

I just threw a new set in the trash, couldn't give them away, they where the aluminum needle bearing ones, looked terrible. wouldn't fit around a basic comp cam spring

I ordered the stainless set from kmj and the shims and hardware was scattered all over the bottom of the box and they were covered in grease/engine grime (not packing oil), obviously returned. the rockers were on the shafts and I know for a fact that don't come like that in the box. I tried to slide one off and it wouldn't come off the tip of the shaft, thats why they were returned i guess. I did mock them up on some heads and they all lined up perfectly, i must say they looked really nice, but I returned them. I have a feeling they punch the bolt and oil holes in the shaft and not drill them, this warps it out of round. the adjuster is a cup style so you can re use your pushrods. they are an exact copy of the pro mags but the roller tip doesnt look perfect, but, i would use them if they slid on the rocker shaft freely, although they did pivot in place just fine.

Ive had good luck with their stainless rockers, they are bushed instead of using needle bearings. Never had them on anything with big spring pressure, but always worked well. Look just like the PRW ones pictured above.

I ran aluminum off brand 'ohio crank' rockers that have needle bearings, worked great.
I only had to retire one from too much side play, too much side play on ANY needle bearing rocker [HARLAND SHARP] will lead to race failure where the rollers eat into the race causing play and the race's outer edge to actually ride the shaft, but in my case it took years....
HOWEVER if you were to have the correct .010 side play that wouldn't happen and...there would be no way for any needle bearings to come out unless the shafts disintegrated and rocker body shattered.lol

Most people who have bad things to say about needle bearing rockers have never personally ran them.
ime/jmo

Comp pro magnum on my BB. My brother uses Crower roller rockers on his 406 magnum. Real nice rockers but pricey. You get what you pay for.Cheaping out on engine parts can get real pricey fast.

Attachments

• P7110057.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 661
I think its funny how people dog the needle bearings but the comp aluminum and some harland sharps come that way, they are probably all made in the same place in china. I really dont care where there made, as long as they hold up.

I think its funny how people dog the needle bearings but the comp aluminum and some harland sharps come that way, they are probably all made in the same place in china. I really dont care where there made, as long as they hold up.

People are unaware that chevy's been using needle bearing rockers for a while...and even they had issues, just like harland sharp did with the early INA needle bearings they used...however harland sharps are what replaces the failed chevy rockers, and they still needle bearing.
the INA 145/146 bearings are known to fail, the SCE145 bearing is better, then again...if you ever catch something wrong upon inspection...you can just have them bushed or rebuilt w/needle bearings again for $125 'quote from rocker specialties'
I looked up pricing on the needle bearings themselves...whew...expensive.
around $190-$240 for a case of 20.

Do you like them????
Thanks for any info.

I've never used them on a mopar, but I've seen dozens destroyed on small block chevys, I'd go with Comp..

I much rather prefer a bronze bushing over needle bearings any day of the week. More surface area = more support if you ask me. I think any gain with less friction with the needle bearings would be minimal. I haven't experienced the Pro Comps myself, but I've heard and read about lots of problems. That's enough for me. I'll probably get a set of 273 rockers and have them bushed. That is....on my next small block.

I much rather prefer a bronze bushing over needle bearings any day of the week. More surface area = more support if you ask me. I think any gain with less friction with the needle bearings would be minimal. I haven't experienced the Pro Comps myself, but I've heard and read about lots of problems. That's enough for me. I'll probably get a set of 273 rockers and have them bushed. That is....on my next small block.

I don't trust the cheap crap in any engine, I'm thinking Crane ductile iron rockers when I start on my big block build...

-
Back