ProComp/Speedmaster aluminum heads

-
Are you going to do any special cleanup on the decks? I'm in about the same spot. Prepping to put the aluminum heads in place of the J-heads. My decks are smooth, don't seem to have any buildup, but there is staining. I figured I as long as it is smooth, I can run with it? I don't want to get abrasive anywhere near the cylinders if I don't have to.

Are you going to do any special cleanup on the decks? I'm in about the same spot. Prepping to put the aluminum heads in place of the J-heads. My decks are smooth, don't seem to have any buildup, but there is staining. I figured I as long as it is smooth, I can run with it? I don't want to get abrasive anywhere near the cylinders if I don't have to.
I don't think there's any getting the stains off of the block short of having it resurfaced again... I'm just going over it a million times with white paper towels carb cleaner and a couple brand new razor blades. Maybe the gurus will try him in but I'm just getting it as clean as this human can possibly do it...

I've used Hylamar with Cometics on questionable deck and head surfaces.
I consider it a bandaid when not having the proper surface.
I've heard of using copper but never have.
Cometics are designed to be used without any dope.

I've used Hylamar with Cometics on questionable deck and head surfaces.
I consider it a bandaid when not having the proper surface.
I've heard of using copper but never have.
Cometics are designed to be used without any dope.
Almost 30 years ago my machinist told me to buy regular copper spray paint and give the head gaskets a pretty finish :)

Done for today..
IMG_20200527_174445.jpg
IMG_20200527_174950.jpg

Looks unfinished to me. LOL I bet those heads aren't even bolted on. lol
The block didn't just come back from the machine shop. I had to scrape all the gasket material I'm clean everything all up and clean out the stud holes and so forth.. don't forget this is my hobby so I just take my time getting everything ultra clean at exactly the way I like it and then I execute.. it's my one day off this week and I wasn't trying to put it in 8 hours like I did Sunday on it. now that I got it to a point I just want to enjoy the process and get it all nice and pretty...

jeez jpar, lighten up. I was just giving you a little crap.
You do what you do, it's all good. :thumbsup:

jeez jpar, lighten up. I was just giving you a little crap.
You do what you do, it's all good. :thumbsup:
I've been waiting for 6 months for somebody to put these heads on and actually run them and now that I'm doing it everybody wants to crack the whip...

I've been waiting for 6 months for somebody to put these heads on and actually run them and now that I'm doing it everybody wants to crack the whip...
I know you will put them to the test. and give a very honest review of the OTB heads.
I'm not in the market for a small block head, so I'm in no hurry.

I know you will put them to the test. and give a very honest review of the OTB heads.
I'm not in the market for a small block head, so I'm in no hurry.
They certainly don't have the spring pressure of my cast-iron heads at 360 but at 320 I'm sure they're going to hold the 6K that I max the car out at these days as it doesn't really go any faster past that...
Plus the cams no longer at 603 lift it's more 525...

That’s because she NEEDS more treats. Crack open the wallet and buy some fancy treats and don’t hoard them. She may like you better if you do that.

Just an FYI.
My wife buys economy block sizes of treats for those dogs. I had to point out that those treats are like candy. She's always putting some kind of dinner fixings or some of my lunch meat for my sandwiches in their food dish along with their food let alone they treat box the damn near need a separate forklift to bring into the house... Those dogs are desperately spoiled... my friends want to die and be reincarnated as one of my dogs to live the easy life....

Well I was able to get a couple of hours in the garage and look at how the rockers are going to look... Putting the passenger side rockers on and putting in the 2 intake pushrod and the 8 exhaust of course left with their previous adjustments from the factory heads they were just a little bit tight and not having the .019 lash they should have had had everything been exactly the same... I readjusted to .019... The roller tip seemed a little in board and rolling out to just about the center which was not a really long sweep maybe 30-40 thousandths...
When I got my roller rockers from Hughes they came with two sizes of shims.. I tightened the rockers down without the push rods with just the largest shim and it didn't seem to make a tremendous amount of difference but I did move them forward. Then I got a little carried away and put both the small and large shim in and put the two pushrods back in and ran them through the sweep.. the first thing I noticed was the adjusters had to come out much further than I was really comfortable with. It seemed to make the sweep start from the center and work its way out from there to 3/4 of the way out across the top of the valve tip.. I think tomorrow I'm going to just start with one shim and lock it all down. I've got those .080 lash caps in my Summit shopping cart and I might send for those as well so I don't have a lot of adjuster sticking out which I did not like...

Last edited:
-
Back