ProComp/Speedmaster aluminum heads

-
Where is the video game being discussed?
IMG_20201212_103454565~2.jpg

I got a BB set and realized that I got angled plugs. I probably wont be able to use the same headers? The boxes were trashed, but I could only find one little dinger. It was on the edge of one of the combustion chambers. I think I may have to have a shop really check them. Ive been working nights and dont know enough to know what to look for......nothing obvious at this point.

I have seen that angled plugs promote problems, will I have to run different headers? I have TTI 1 3/4''

Thanks!

I got a BB set and realized that I got angled plugs. I probably wont be able to use the same headers? The boxes were trashed, but I could only find one little dinger. It was on the edge of one of the combustion chambers. I think I may have to have a shop really check them. Ive been working nights and dont know enough to know what to look for......nothing obvious at this point.

I have seen that angled plugs promote problems, will I have to run different headers? I have TTI 1 3/4''

Thanks!
What part number cylinder heads did you get? Do they also require offset rocker arms? Post a couple pictures.

Thanks!

yeah, the BB speedmaster heads (that are available) are the copies of the Edelbrock Victor heads. You need offset rockers arms for them and they have that big raised pad on the intake side so that a factory type intake will fit. Small heart shaped combustion chambers..they all have angled plugs.

this is probably the hot deal for straight plug heads, seems this is a mopar performance head.
Performer RPM Cylinder Head

yeah, the BB speedmaster heads (that are available) are the copies of the Edelbrock Victor heads. You need offset rockers arms for them and they have that big raised pad on the intake side so that a factory type intake will fit. Small heart shaped combustion chambers.

Way way off topic but I’m going to get to check some flow numbers on some ported Edelbrock big block Victor heads in the near future. My buddy has a beautiful 9 second big block Duster with a set on and wants to check flow numbers before ordering a new cam. I told him to give me a couple weeks as I’m set up for small block heads right now.

The “affordable” BB heads that have straight plugs are Stealths, and the 84cc E-Street.

In the past, SM has had the RPM style head in both straight or angled plug versions...... but I haven’t seen them on their site in a couple of years.

The pic posted above looks like the Victor style head.
Those take a few special parts to be able to run them.

Just reading this post. Why do you order the valves at +050? Is it better to order the heads complete and swap out the springs one has with a cam kit instead of ordering all separate?
Looks like I will have to wait until black Friday 2021 for the next sale..... :(

What size push rods are needed for these heads (SB)? I saw they recommend the hardened set. I was looking to order there stainless rocker arm set as well.

Last edited:
Harden pushrods are not needed. That spec on their website is incorrect. I use 5/16 .083 wall...but i am sure 11/32 or even 3/8 could be use. As I have used 3/8 on eddy heads dont see why they would not fit the SM heads.

What size push rods are needed for these heads (SB)? I saw they recommend the hardened set. I was looking to order there stainless rocker arm set as well.

Pushrods used would depend on cam used. To get everything right it’s never a fits all as you may need a thicker pushrod, longer, or even shorter. Sometimes clearance issues happen when different ratio rockers are used so it’s nice to get everything right while it’s on an engine stand. Then there’s always rocker geometry to get right.

I will be using a hydraulic roller, a retro roller setup from Lunati. What push rods would you recommend?

Are there still people waiting for their Black friday order? I bought the bare heads with cnc to replace the j heads on a 416, but it looks like i have to drive those j heads for another summer:)

Are there still people waiting for their Black friday order? I bought the bare heads with cnc to replace the j heads on a 416, but it looks like i have to drive those j heads for another summer:)
They would be getting a call at 8am daily...

I got my heads pretty quickly. Still waiting on my rocker arms. I need to call them today.

Just called speedmaster and was able to order the PCE stainless rocker arms with the 40% off sale, they just won’t ship until they’re back in stock (expected to be 30-60 days)
Well... still haven’t received my rocker arms and they’re still out of stock. Tried calling Speedmaster yesterday and coined the get through to anyone. Need to try again.

*EDIT* just got off the phone with Speedway and they haven’t received info from their supplier when the roached shafts will be available. She’s going to reach out to the supplier and see if she can get an eta and get back to me.

Last edited:
Hey Guys, I've got a set of Speedmaster heads on my 360 1972' block.. obviously non roller block, everything pretty well bolted up without issues even alternator... I did have comp cam springs installed/and the retainers to but I used the Speedmaster valves.. I noticed the valves are lil bit lighter than what I'm used to feeling but heads are fine according to Fast Teck Machine shop in Ocala.. i only have about 100 miles now but doing great! I did use Speedmaster head stud kit with only 70lbs of Torque according to Speedmaster Torque spec is just 65lbs.. so anyway they seem great in my truck..its not a race truck it's street drivin and feelin like I'll probably order another set of Speedmasters for a 71' 340 I'm doin... so far I'm happy... Nice heads!

Hey Guys, I've got a set of Speedmaster heads on my 360 1972' block.. obviously non roller block, everything pretty well bolted up without issues even alternator... I did have comp cam springs installed/and the retainers to but I used the Speedmaster valves.. I noticed the valves are lil bit lighter than what I'm used to feeling but heads are fine according to Fast Teck Machine shop in Ocala.. i only have about 100 miles now but doing great! I did use Speedmaster head stud kit with only 70lbs of Torque according to Speedmaster Torque spec is just 65lbs.. so anyway they seem great in my truck..its not a race truck it's street drivin and feelin like I'll probably order another set of Speedmasters for a 71' 340 I'm doin... so far I'm happy... Nice heads!
Feel free to post some pictures. We like pictures.

-
Back