Proformance unlimited

-
Why does it cost $10K to build a decent engine? I'll admit the engine I'm redoing for my dirt car was $15K in 1994 BUT I'd never pay that much since so many of the little 'secrets' you can do yourself and only have your time invested.

Heads are the biggest expense if you have them modified... billet cranks are pricey... good rods are high, too. But I see these deals being built with Scat and Eagle stuff along with import heads and just wonder how in the world can you spend so much?

My last supercharged early Hemi was done for $4500.00....

Why does it cost $10K to build a decent engine? I'll admit the engine I'm redoing for my dirt car was $15K in 1994 BUT I'd never pay that much since so many of the little 'secrets' you can do yourself and only have your time invested.

Heads are the biggest expense if you have them modified... billet cranks are pricey... good rods are high, too. But I see these deals being built with Scat and Eagle stuff along with import heads and just wonder how in the world can you spend so much?

My last supercharged early Hemi was done for $4500.00....
I was looking at the neww jegs and summit catologs testerday, u cant even touch a new late model supercharger for less than $4500, most are around $5000 and up. I have every bit of 10 grand in my engine . U can build a normally aspirated 500" engine w/ over 700 h.p. for less ??

I do not think I have read anything positive about blueprint a d mopar engines.

Maybe the good ones dont complain.

I have or seen good things from IMM (brian) and RAMM (j robb)

I went my own route with a reputable builder in my area and now redoing engine after a year. Hopefully this other reputable builder works out.
If it all goes to hell again you may see me in the news.
Hmm.. there are posts and threads about blueprint engines. Lots of Nay saying, but never saw any pictures or "proof" of something bad. My blueprint 408 shortblock is still going strong.

I was looking at the neww jegs and summit catologs testerday, u cant even touch a new late model supercharger for less than $4500, most are around $5000 and up. I have every bit of 10 grand in my engine . U can build a normally aspirated 500" engine w/ over 700 h.p. for less ??
You have to toss those catalogs away and start networking, going to swap meets and shows and meet the folks that can help you out with parts and advice.

On my 354 I bought three 6-71 cores for $20 each... Took my tools along and pulled them right from the diesels. Bought a BBC drive kit off if flea bay for $250-ish... Had a blower shop in Oregon do the conversion for $280.00 (Dean Blowers). Plus another $90.00 for a rear cover, gaskets and such.

$2500 in machine work, $800 Venolia pistons, $165 cam, NOS Cragar intake for $300...

Do your homework and you can save a bundle. If I had to buy out if those catalogs I'd be priced out of the hobby.

You sound a bit handy and knowledgeable on these thing Kooser.
Unlike most here I’d say.

You have to toss those catalogs away and start networking, going to swap meets and shows and meet the folks that can help you out with parts and advice.

On my 354 I bought three 6-71 cores for $20 each... Took my tools along and pulled them right from the diesels. Bought a BBC drive kit off if flea bay for $250-ish... Had a blower shop in Oregon do the conversion for $280.00 (Dean Blowers). Plus another $90.00 for a rear cover, gaskets and such.

$2500 in machine work, $800 Venolia pistons, $165 cam, NOS Cragar intake for $300...

Do your homework and you can save a bundle. If I had to buy out if those catalogs I'd be priced out of the hobby.
I only go to the catalogs when I can`t do better elsewhere. I bought a lot of stuff from other sources,( like my oil system, old alum. funny car pan and single line p/u , that I reworked and modified as an example) and make a lot of my own stuff. When u build a basket case, u gotta buy everything, and I also didn`t want any junk in it. I told myself,when I started this car, I`d go first class as much as possible, not like a couple of chevys I scrimped on, but turned out well. Mopars are costly, I could build a 700 plus horse rat for about 2/3 of what this 505 cost me. And I don`t need no stinking blowers ! LOL

Having an actual core to work with sure would save money vs. having to buy "everything" to put an engine together. The cost of fasteners alone was mind boggling for me!

Having an actual core to work with sure would save money vs. having to buy "everything" to put an engine together. The cost of fasteners alone was mind boggling for me!
Agree, but I was talking about the whole car, not just the engine, was a basket case .

Try living on the other side of the Globe paying up to $1000+ for one that requires a rebuild , just shy on, $3k for a 4 inch stroker kit ,when you add shipping and custom duty's, than dollar conversion US to Aus. I've got 10k in parts alone .Still have machining costs Good machining aint cheap !

Had a friend build it for me. Home made.
looks a lot like mine. But mine is a combination of store bought hoop, and home bent everything else ( (big 2 wheeled elec. conduit bender works well.)

My buddy has built some really nice stuff over the years and is a fabricator by trade. Good to have friends like him.

Poverty forces one to get creative...
Freakin A! Bro! No doubt! I also graduated from hard knocks and empty pockets. The most annoying thing I crossed was a broken base plate on my Holley. To replace it was a few dollars shy of a new carb. Piss me off! I was Loaned a Carter AVS from my old Mopar man boss that I didn’t want to give he back.
I didn’t have a Holley for a long long time and when I did get one, then they were used.
Up until I got my 6 pack set up.
Ahhhhh, it was good to blow a few bucks on myself ....

th_mojoslicks3-1-1.jpg
Here's a pix of my old FoPar pick-up....

'56 chopped 5", B-body torsion bar front end, 9 /14" corporate rear narrowed by me 11" (Moser axles), blown 354, TR Waters adaptor to small block bell housing, 833 O/D trans. Shortened to 100" wheelbase, used a shortened 5' box off of an early 50's GMC.

Sold it a few years ago not finished. The engine went in a Deuce coupe IIRC the body went on to become a fancy 302 powered street rod.

That's a $4500.00 Hemi right there....

mojoshemi2.jpg

mojoshemi4.jpg

th_mojoslicks3-1-1.jpg

-
Back