Project Black Betty

-
Holley 2300 350cfm...i've heard that they're the easiest beginner turbo carb for the slant..

Enjoying this build, and looking forward to keep my mind open to continue learning, I have the same intake and will match your exhaust thickness perfect.

Holley 2300 350cfm...i've heard that they're the easiest beginner turbo carb for the slant..

Am I to assume that you're going to attach this Holley 2300 to a 2-to-4 bbl adapter in order to get it on that intake manifold, or do you have a Super Six manifold for this application?

The Dart in my profile pic. 1970 Dodge Dart Custom

How much HP do you want it to produce?

That's about a 3,300-pound car.

Tom Wolfe's 1970 Dart ran 12.95 @ 102 mph in the quarter with a stock (but turbocharged) engine with a Buick GN turbo and a 4bbl, but used 21 pounds of boost to get those numbers.

That's about 300 horsepower.

A stock short block won't live very long with that kind of boost, I think.

I don't think he ever had the head off that motor (at that time.) It had a stock cast iron exhaust manifold, cam, distributor and compression ratio.

Here's the video, in case you haven't seen it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPe_vHwZsF4"]Slant Six Turbo 1970 Dodge Dart 1/4 Mile pass - YouTube[/ame]

If you only wanted about 200 horsepower, I think a stock short block would last forever, virtually, and would only require about about 10 pounds of boost, which might yield a 14.80 e.t. at about 95 mph.

That should be easily attainable with your 2-bbl setup and stock cam and head.

FABO member, PISHTA, had the best-engineered exhaust setup for that sort of a turbo mount I haave seen.
He took a 180-degree 2.5" U-Bend and put a flange on one end that bolted to the existing exhaust manifold and welded a turbo-mounting flange to the other end, which allowed him to connect (mount) the turbo without having to weld on the manifold. Those manifolds are crack-prone, and welding on them just exacerbates the possibility of a crack.

I think that the stock pistons would last a long time, with 10 pounds of boost and even longer wwith an alcohol/water sprayer like a Snowpwerformance Boost Cooler for detonation prevention. You might even get away with 12 or 13 pounds of boost with that injector, which might put you into ther thirteens...

Good luck!!!:cheers:

Yeah i'm going with PISHTA setup to start off...later when I can afford to get larger valves, port and polish, rods and pistons then i'll get the boost in the 20's. I plan to use a pte 6262 turbo which 1974duster Kev from slantsix.org uses. I might have a friend weld me a turbo header...not decided on that yet.

Yeah i'm going with PISHTA setup to start off...later when I can afford to get larger valves, port and polish, rods and pistons then i'll get the boost in the 20's. I plan to use a pte 6262 turbo which 1974duster Kev from slantsix.org uses. I might have a friend weld me a turbo header...not decided on that yet.

That's the nice thing about doing it the way you have chosen to do this; you can add horsepower as you go along... no need to build a world-beating short block in the very beginning.

I really like that PISHTA U-Bend turbo mount deal, but later, if you feel you need a tubing header, Aaron (SRIXON) has a good one to copy! I don't think he made any mistakes, when he designed the one he has on his car, now. Looks really efficient to me!

Have FUN!!!!:blob:

Finally got the radiator in! :D

Attachments

• 2012-11-10_20-54-02_726.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 759
  • 2012-11-10_20-56-12_735.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 751
  • 2012-11-11_18-20-05_538.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 752
Looks good, what thermostat housing did you use ?

Well I haven't been on here in awhile...the car has been on hold for the last few months due to christmas season,a vet bill and now a trip to visit my family in NH. I've decided to go EFI on my project now to make it easier to turbocharge. After this trip I'm getting my floorpans welded in. Then it will be fuel cell,and start collecting what I need to install a Megasquirt system.:glasses7:

I was reading the other day about intake manifolds, seems like its a big deal with flow between the adapter to fit a larger carb, and having a manifold that can handle the larger carb.

Well I haven't been on here in awhile...the car has been on hold for the last few months due to christmas season,a vet bill and now a trip to visit my family in NH. I've decided to go EFI on my project now to make it easier to turbocharge. After this trip I'm getting my floorpans welded in. Then it will be fuel cell,and start collecting what I need to install a Megasquirt system.:glasses7:
We have been there before and I under stand holding off on the turbo
Fuel injection and open up the intake and exhaust and bring the compression
up with a good cam and gear can be allot of fun, Turbo can come at another time :cheers: Good to see you back 8)

Oh trust me I'm gonna get the turbo as soon as the fuel injection is on! I just figure the EFIwill be easier to tune than a carb and cold starts will be a breeze with an iac.

Oh trust me I'm gonna get the turbo as soon as the fuel injection is on! I just figure the EFIwill be easier to tune than a carb and cold starts will be a breeze with an iac.

Sounds like a good plan to me! "Tuning" this Holly 750 double pumper has taken us more time and effort than anything else on this bucket of bolts!

"It's too rich; no, now it's too lean, now it's too rich again... Now, it's just right under boost, but is way too rich at a cruise..."

Give me a break!!!

I feel like I'm becoming a Holley tech, just trying to get the mixture right on this thing.

And, WOE BE UNTO YOU, if you don't get it right... can you say engine-destroying detonation???

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Nightmare city...:banghead:

And the blackness begins!

Attachments

• 2013-05-29_19-35-30_290.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 631
Betty got a new exhaust!

Attachments

• 2013-06-25_15-50-15_382.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 579
  • 2013-06-25_15-50-23_554.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 581