Project Budget Duster started

-

Tadjou

Reaction score
This is a drag strip project. I picked up ths 71 Duster as a roller a couple of years ago and been gathering parts for the build ever since. I gave the 71 Duster a wash today for the first time since bringing it home back in 2006. I wanted to get a better idea of what I was getting into. The more I looked at it the more I thought I must have rocks in my head. Never the less I will work on this Duster and get her track worthy.

The engine bay doesn't look to bad. All the wiring seems be intact from the previous motor (slant six). The k frame will be upgraded to a 73 V8 k frame I scored along with disk brakes.

miniimg0494us7.jpg

The driver side inner fender well needs attention. I'll cut out the rust and patch that area.

miniimg0495oa6.jpg

The passenger side looks solid.

miniimg0496no8.jpg

The front is pretty much complete. I scored the valence, top radiator support and bumper with brackets from the junk yard. The front will be sporting a shark tooth grill

miniimg0497sp1.jpg

Stay tune as I will be posting more pics soon of the entire car.

Here is the worst part I think. The frame rails are a bit rusty in some parts. The front frame rails on the driver side was patched already by the previous owner.

miniimg0510bk9.jpg

miniimg0511xg1.jpg

I have a very good wheel well section for a patch but I think I will make my own trunk floor. I will fabricate a flat floor and install a fuel cell.

miniimg0501ty6.jpg

I yanked the k-frame out. The only problem I had was the driver side torsion bar. Passenger side popped out with a little persuasion. I had to break out the cutting wheel . I have a new torch setup but need to get a mc to b tank adapter or trade the mc tank in for a b tank.

Auto Rust Technician shipped my rear frame caps. All I can say is WOW :eek: Precision cut and nicely welded to my specifications.

artoi0.jpg

looks like you and i have the same thing going. mine is a '72 Duster. look at my pick under "this is what im starting with". mine is to complete a project for my bro-in-law who just passed away in november. good luck.
Chris

looks like you and i have the same thing going. mine is a '72 Duster. look at my pick under "this is what im starting with". mine is to complete a project for my bro-in-law who just passed away in november. good luck.
Chris

Nice project Chris. Looks like you have a way better rust free car to work with than I do.

Good luck with your project also.

Hey Tadjou, great thread title. I should have been so creative about my title. Since I'm going down the same line.

What does this mean? Stand for?

but need to get a mc to b tank adapter or trade the mc tank in for a b tank.
mc to b ? What tank?

I'm getting ready for the spring inboard move and frame repair next.

Chris

Nice project Chris. Looks like you have a way better rust free car to work with than I do.

Good luck with your project also.

Hey Tadjou, great thread title. I should have been so creative about my title. Since I'm going down the same line.

What does this mean? Stand for?

mc to b ? What tank?

I'm getting ready for the spring inboard move and frame repair next.

MC and "B" are the size of the acetylene tanks. The regulators I have are for B tanks which is larger than the MC tank that hold about 10 cubic feet of gas.

Talk to Dave at AutoRust if you are going to cap the frames. He is really great to work with. Tell him I sent ya.

MC and "B" are the size of the acetylene tanks. The regulators I have are for B tanks which is larger than the MC tank that hold about 10 cubic feet of gas.

Talk to Dave at AutoRust if you are going to cap the frames. He is really great to work with. Tell him I sent ya.

OH, thanks. I'll have a bud do the welding. Sometimes, it's just easier to pay the man. LOL On the norm., I do all I can. But I have not welded with the gas (Ox/acc) in over 10 years and have no equipment left except my torch. No tanks, hose, regulators, nothing. I'd rather, at this point leave it to the pro.

I was only givin a 6 week course from my company. 8 hours a day, everyday in a school. Then givin a general cert. and qualified. (LOL) Then bid a job as a welder, so I could go back to school to actually become good at it. They then canceled the class. There has been no new welders in 10 years. Go figure. Theres 3 left on the property. :angry7:

I got there frame cap for my duster. If my rust was any worse, I'd have removed the entire OE part and used the Autorust part in full welded to the floor instead of useing it as a cap.

The cap is much thicker than the stock parts.

-
Back