Project: "Daddy's Cool Cool Green Green Car" Build

-
I feel like I finally made a ton of progress with the limited time I have to spare (work, wife, kiddies).

K-Frame OUT!

IMG_4135.jpg

T-Bars

IMG_4141.jpg

Empty Engine Bay (FINALLY)!

IMG_4139.jpg

IMG_4140.jpg

IMG_4138.jpg

Steering Column Out

IMG_4136.jpg

IMG_4137.jpg

Next project is the dash, pedals, seats, and rear, and stripping the rest of the misc. parts in the engine bay....

I posted in another thread that I was having trouble getting the left side t-bar out....What a stubborn PITA that was!....After grabbing it with a pipe wrench and unsuccessfully banging on it for two days, I ended up wrapping a ratchet strap around it, with the other end around the rear housing....I sprayed it with PB and let it sit for a day or so which didn't work, so I tightened up on the ratchet strap, got some heat on it, and banged on the LCA with the BFH and eventually it popped....I thought I was doing something wrong, but it was just rusted in there and didn't want to budge....

Well, until next time!

Found some more prescious time today and got motivated....

Rolled her out in the driveway and dropped the rear

IMG_4158.jpg

Got the dash and seats out

IMG_4162.jpg

With all this weight gone, she moves around like a roller skate

Here's another minor update (and a couple of questions)!

I decided to go a little further with the disassembly than I originally considered....Once I got the dash out, it made sense to get everything else out as well....Out came both pedals, the e-brake handle, heater stuff, insulation, washer foot pump, wire harness, brake lines, cables, hoses, etc.

IMG_4214.jpg

IMG_4212.jpg

Now all I have left is a couple of odds and ends underneath and then it's off to the media blaster.

IMG_4216.jpg

I've decided to mini-tub her and move the springs inboard....I was crawling around underneath and I think I can fab some parts to do the relo myself....Shouldn't be that bad.

I also started stripping the doors and got everything off, but I haven't tackled the glass yet....Here is where my questions begin.

IMG_4200.jpg

Plain and simple, how do I get the glass out?....I need to get the glass out of both the doors, including the wing window, and the body quarter glass, but I don't want to attempt either until I get a few tips....Window regulators and glass have always been my nemesis!

I pulled this small plug from the door....Can anyone tell me what it's for and whats behind it?

IMG_4203.jpg

Finally, looking at the quarters and the inner wheel wells, and their condition, I'm thinking of going with full quarters instead of patches....Besides cost, what are the pros and cons?

Since my beloved Jets are playing Monday night this week, I now have a full Sunday of uninterrupted garage time....I'm gonna start the mini tub, and I will post pix along the way.

Thanks.

i think there is an allen screw behind that plug. i forget what for though. i had all my glass out for paint and body and i put it all back in.

Your beloved Jets are playing my beloved Vikings, so we both will be getting something accomplished this weekend. Jamesdart is correct, there is an allen head screw behind that plug that helps hold the vent window assembly in the door.

Just read the entire thread and love what you have done!! Keep up the great work and looking fwd to more pics and updates!

4spdragtop

Your beloved Jets are playing my beloved Vikings, so we both will be getting something accomplished this weekend. Jamesdart is correct, there is an allen head screw behind that plug that helps hold the vent window assembly in the door.

Hey GH....Tell Favre to keep his pants on!

Started the Mini-Tub today....Got the right side cut before our friends showed up for a lasagne dinner....I love my friends, but they cut into my garage time....Can't have that!

Cut both quarters back to see how bad the outer wheelwells were rusted, and it looks like I can fab them pretty easily.
IMG_4264.jpg

Dropping the inner portion of the wheelwell to begin the mini-tub
IMG_4262.jpg

Misc. shots in and out
IMG_4278.jpg

IMG_4270.jpg

IMG_4263.jpg

The two questions I have regarding the mini-tub are:

1) What do I do with the lip on the frame? Do I grind it off or make relief cuts and bend the lip up?

2) Does the rear seat need any modification after the tubs are moved inward?

To question 1, on Johnparts' car we left the lip but I suppose you could go either way if you wanted to. To question 2, the tubs are behind the seat back frame, but we did cut off the seatbelt studs as we're moving to modern belts anyway.

To question 1, on Johnparts' car we left the lip but I suppose you could go either way if you wanted to. To question 2, the tubs are behind the seat back frame, but we did cut off the seatbelt studs as we're moving to modern belts anyway.

Well Super T, that is why I asked....I was sure the tubs stick out past the seat back frame, so I went into the garage and checked....

Arrow = Seat Back Frame
Crude and crappily drawn red line = Tub
IMG_4283.jpg

Arrow = Clip for seat back cage
IMG_4284.jpg

Space in seat back allowed for tub (see arrows)
IMG_4285.jpg

I'm assuming that by moving the tub, it will alter the placement of the lower clip and also the space behind the seat back....I think I'll have to modify the seat back cage to acount for moving the tubs in, and also for the lower clip.

More progress on the mini-tub today....I got both sides cut and prepped, but before I weld the tubs in place I'm going to send the car to be media blasted.

I'm sure there's a few different ways to do the mini-tub, and with a few tips from the "board", here's how I decided to do mine:

Right side tub cut out - View from interior
R1.jpg

Right side tub cut out - View from trunk
R2.jpg

After I cut the tub, I cut the lip off the frame....I've seen some bend it up, but I did it this way so I could fit the lip remaining on the tub flush to the frame, to give me something to weld to.
R3.jpg

Here's the tub with the lip left on
R6.jpg

Quick test fit - View from the trunk
R5.jpg

Finally, here's how the tub lip sits flush to the frame....I'm going to weld it to the frame, and then inside to the trunk floor....This should stabilize the top of the frame where I cut the lip.
R7.jpg

Next is finishing removal of the glass from the body and doors, then it's off to the blaster.

Until next time :salute:

OK....This is officially the furthest I've ever had a car torn down, and I just hope I can remember how to put the damn thing back together!

IMG_4337.jpg

IMG_4338.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

OK....This is officially the furthest I've ever had a car torn down, and I just hope I can remember how to put the damn thing back together!

LOL!, I thought the same thing when I got mine completely gutted. With any luck, I will find out by mid-summer if I can.

Did you manage to get the door glass out without tearing up the clear plastic "sliders" that were on the front channel next to the wing vents? Any idea if replacements can be had from anywhere? You're making great progress, keep it up. L8r

Jim

LOL!, I thought the same thing when I got mine completely gutted. With any luck, I will find out by mid-summer if I can.

Did you manage to get the door glass out without tearing up the clear plastic "sliders" that were on the front channel next to the wing vents? Any idea if replacements can be had from anywhere? You're making great progress, keep it up. L8r

Jim

Thanks Jim....

The plastic sliders are there, but just hanging on by a thread....I think they'll be ok to re-use.

I also heard that the wing window weather strip is non existent as a repop, so I'm glad I was careful with them.

Did you manage to get the door glass out without tearing up the clear plastic "sliders" that were on the front channel next to the wing vents? Any idea if replacements can be had from anywhere?Jim

The plastic sliders are there, but just hanging on by a thread....I think they'll be ok to re-use.

Well, I spoke too soon....The left side is shot and the right is so-so....Does anybody know if they're available?

Been a while since an update, so if anyone is interested, here's a quick update and a couple of questions:

First, I found a local body guy here in NJ who turns out to be one of those hidden gems....He's a collision shop who happens to also do a few hot rods and muscle cars as well....Checked out his stuff and he's the best I've seen in a long while....He's been in the business over 30 years and has lots of the old school skills I've been looking for.

Second, an old friend who I haven't spoken to in years just bought a 74 Dart and, along with it he's getting a 73 or 74 Scamp (he's not sure which year) as a donor car....Supposedly it's an original V-8 car w/ an automatic....I haven't spoken to this dude in over 20 years and he knew of my car through Facebook, so he offered the Scamp to me for free as soon as it hits his driveway....The only problem is that he's an 8 hour drive from me!

My questions are, how do I identify a V-8 K-Frame compared to a /6?....If I remember, there is a washer tacked somewhere....Where should it be, and if it's gone, how else can it be identified?

Finally, did all 73 or 74 V-8 cars come with factory discs, and what year was the start of the BBP?

Thanks!

...hope you are keeping the colour..love it ! We are doing the same type of work...so it is nice to see soeone else doing the smae thing..

Ian.

Those window sliders are available, check with Year One. I should say they are for a 69. Part # is FD32230...

-
Back