Project Riddler's Ride - 1976 Plymouth Duster

-
Thanks for the positive comments fella's. Tnplumber yes I've choosen a 545rfe and I already have it sitting in the garage. I'm really trying to get the metal work done before Xmas. I don't want to push it back much farther.

Riddler

I like the way the fuel door is starting to look. having second thoughts of the fuel cap I did.

I haven't seen your fuel cap yet, but I'm very pleased with the Challender fuel door. I wanted to ask you t-granger, would you mind snapping a bunch of pics of that fuel tank you had made? I'd like to see more of that.

Riddler

Do you have a picture of the fuel door from a little farther back? I'd like to see how it flows with everything else. Looks like you are making good progress!

Joe, not sure if you know, but they sell a weld thru primer to spray on the rails and the back of your panels before welding to protect the metal in the seams. just an FYI. Your doing a great job.

I feel like I'm watching my own build, I plan on installing a new challenger gas cap. I called a couple junk yards to find a wrecked one, also was looking at the same boze wheels. Great minds must think a like. l look forward to more posts and updates.... great job

Riddler,
I will post some more pics of the fuel tank and my new cap and put them on my page this week. Finally got my car back home.

I like the direction your taking the car. I think my next car will be built more like this-with actual driving in mind.

Have you put in the front brace from XV yet? I would like to see what it looks like if you have any picture of it yet.

Nope I haven't gottennear the front of the car yet. The front brackets that I need cut off for the RMS stuff are really on there. I'm planning to get out the angle grinder and cutting them down and then grinding the welds to the frame.

As for the XV brace, I just haven't gotten near that yet.

Riddler

Well time for a large update. I came home from work and my brother in law Jim came over. Jim takes welding and turns it into an art form. If I could weld and manipulate metal the way he does I'd be light years farther along.

Here's Jim welding the passenger side floor panel in. Remember it was only tacked in before.
DSC_0841.jpg

Here's the finished panel, just need to use the flap wheel to bust down the welds a little and then seam seal and prime.
DSC_0842.jpg

Jim then moved to the Street Linx main bar. Welded it in fully. I just need to get some primer now and prime it.
DSC_0843.jpg

Close up of the welds. It's not easy to weld with the car not high in the air.
DSC_0844.jpg

While Jim was busy welding the passenger floor pan and also the rear Street Linx, I was getting the front of the car ready for the AlterKtion. RMS states that those brackets are not welded very well, let me tell you, by 1976, they got better at welding, cause they were really on there. Picture of the brackets removed...
DSC_0845.jpg

Jim then assisted me in bolting the AlterKtion up to the frame and also drilling through and installing the helper plates.
DSC_0846.jpg

The driver's floor was prepped and Jim set about welding it in. Floors really are a two person job, one to stand on the floor and one to tack it in.
DSC_0848.jpg

While Jim was welding the driver's floor pan in, I set about building all the peices of the front AlterKtion. QA1 Coilovers...
DSC_0847.jpg

Here's everything set out on the bench so that I can start assembly. I guess once I know it all fits, I'll send most of it out for powdercoating.
DSC_0849.jpg

I still have a few things to do for metal work. I have US Car Tool subframe connectors, spring relocation boxes, and the dreaded minitub.

That's it for now.

Riddler

your build looks good. and yeah the mini tubs are fun. i still need to do my drivers side yet.

You can cut the center crossmember hump out, because your trans will not fit with it there. After you have the trans in place, you can add in a new support.

I'm just not 100% sure where to cut it. I've looked at quite a few pictures and I'm not sure where exactly it's safe to cut back to. The first of the bolts holes for the original trans crossmember looks like a great place but I'm not sure until I get the motor and trans in.

Riddler

I'm just not 100% sure where to cut it. I've looked at quite a few pictures and I'm not sure where exactly it's safe to cut back to. The first of the bolts holes for the original trans crossmember looks like a great place but I'm not sure until I get the motor and trans in.

Riddler
that is where I cut mine. It's no big deal, with the alter-k you don't need a ton of strength there (no more torsion bars). It just supports the floor.

that is where I cut mine. It's no big deal, with the alter-k you don't need a ton of strength there (no more torsion bars). It just supports the floor.

What's the width of the trans at that exact spot? My trans is stored under my storage bench and is quite difficult to get to. I was just going to move on to other metal that needed to be cut and such.

I need to do subframe connectors, minitub and spring relocation boxes.

Riddler

looking good so far! still sad you parted the neon but i am looking forward to your finished product.

Well I found some time tonight while my wife went out shopping. I started to assemble the front AlterKtion. It's so easy! I got the lower control arms on, the QA1 coilovers and the spindle. I've been stopped in my tracks as I don't have the stock bolts for the upper control arms. I now need to make a trip over to Mancini Racing since none of the local parts shops can get them.

Here's a pic to show where I'm at.

DSC_0557.jpg

Riddler

-
Back