Project Riddler's Ride - 1976 Plymouth Duster

-
Nice stash of parts. You Windsor guys kill me. So easy to just go across the border and pick stuff up in Detroit. No killer broker fees. But I hear those border guys can be real A-holes. :bootysha: :toothy10: I need to move! :cheers:

It was good to meet you at junior's place the other week. Keep up the good work.

Wylde1.

I started working on a few things. The first thing is cleaning up and fixing on the grill attachment points on my 75/76 Grill. I like this grill better than the 73/74 one.

DSC_0316.jpg

I also wanted to check out Evaporust. So I decided to soak the K-frame bolts to see how well they clean up. This is a picture of the bolts before.
DSC_0323%7E0.jpg

This picture shows the bolts in Evaporust.
DSC_0324%7E0.jpg

Stay tuned for more.

Riddler

Here's the next installment of Evapo-Rust K frame bolts.

This is what they look like after 48 hours. You can see the rust has just fallen off of these bolt!
DSC_0325~0.jpg

Here's what's left after the bolts are removed. The product is still good until it's black and you can't see through it. So cover it up and use it again and again!
DSC_0326~0.jpg

Here's the bolts after being wiped off and drying on a rag.
DSC_0327~0.jpg

Yes these are pretty much new bolts once again. It doesn't remove the pitting but it does remove the rust.
DSC_0328~0.jpg

Now the final stage, a quick gloss black coat of Rustoleum. Reconditioned bols ready for use!
DSC_0329~0.jpg

My plan is to use this product and clean every bolt I'll have to reuse. There are some I can buy to replace what I have but alot are no longer available and are hard to find.

Riddler

Good show! I had bought a couple bottles of EvapoRust at Canadian Tire a few months ago. I've yet to open a bottle. Time to get off my butt and get rust bustin'.

Wylde1.

Riddler, About time I read this resto thread LOL. Really nice stuff going on there. I love seeing builds start on a rotisserie......lots of work, but nice when finished. Incorporating the new Challenger gas cap is a sweet idea!!

Great pics and info. :thumbup:

Picked up some more parts. I know I know, try and get some work done! LOL

Here's the front brace from XV Motorsports.
DSC_0332~0.jpg

I also sources a VERY RARE set of NOS 73-76 Duster tail light lenses.
DSC_0333.jpg

Oh and thanks Cheryl!

Riddler

I also used the xv front support. just a fyi make sure you figure in what radiator size you want to use when deciding weather to use the extention peices they give you.... just a thought

Lemme know what you think of the process of installing the XV front brace and whether its worth it. I just recently started pondering a purchase for the Dart and you're the first guy I've seen who is installing one since!

for mine the instalation of the xv brace was fairly easy.....but also my car was already tore down when i decided to go with it. i beleive i have pics of the brace posted on my thread.

sg

Thanks sag, I'll be sure to go over and check it out. Did you use the little extensions? What size rad did you go with?

Riddler

I bought some more parts, something new, something old, something shiny!

Lets start off with some more NOS parts. I found a set of 75/76 Duster Bezels and also the top trim.
DSC_0521.jpg

DSC_0522.jpg

DSC_0523.jpg

I then was walking around MoparFest and found these items both from the same vendor. Not a bad haul for $60cdn.
DSC_0525.jpg

The other one I had wasn't flawless so I seold it on ebay for double what I bought this brand new one for.

DSC_0526.jpg

Since I wasn't able to find any parts worth paying for at the MoparFest swap meet I decided to take a look at a couple of the hardware vendors. I found PENSTAR Reproductions (www.penstar.net) and the owner James really helped me find everything he had in stock for my car. Since he was from the states and I had US greenbacks I paid all in US and he cut me a huge deal.

DSC_0527.jpg

What you see in this pictures is:

Body Plug Set
Door Plug Set
2 OEM Chrysler ignition keys
2 OEM Chrysler trunk keys
2 Door pins
Front and Rear windshield clips
and the large package is a complete interior screw set.

I'll be ordering more from him to finish the car.

Riddler

Looks like you are having fun on your duster.
Feel free to see my pics I am doing the same thing with a 1973 duster.
although I did not take enough pics while dissasembling the car, but I feel your pain.
Sounds like you have a great wife by the way. I have one like that also Sadly she is a bowtie fan. But I am bringing her over to the dark side

Yeah I'm having great fun on my Duster. The only thing slowing me down now it fiances. I've promised my wife I'll only buy parts with cash. So if I don't have the cash, I don't buy the parts.

Right now I'm workin on saving the coin for a set of Boze Pro Touring 17" wheels.

I've also seen your thread and I've subscribed to it. I'm sure we can learn little tips and tricks from each others.

Riddler

Since it's a mouse murderer call it The Mouser.

I like those nice brake light lenses if you happen to come across anymore in the box let me know mine are ok but nothing beats new.
I thought about going with the altercation k member, but had to keep some things old school.
By the way 18's fit on the car very nice with out any mods to the rear end. just fyi.
I tried to fit 20's in the back but it was a no go to little rubber to make them fit

I'm planning a minitub in the rear so I can do a 10" wide rim. I've been debating a 17" or 18" wheel set. I settled on the 17's due to tire sizes. I don't want tires so thin they won't protect the rims or help with driveability. Roads around me are not the best and I'd like to keep some road comfort.

Riddler

Nice project! Beats the heck outta plumbing abs sewer pipe!

I've been debating a 17" or 18" wheel set. I settled on the 17's due to tire sizes. I don't want tires so thin they won't protect the rims or help with driveability.

Exactly my thoughts.

I will say though, that the rear wheel opening has enough room to run an 18" rim without getting too short on the sidewall. The front, on the other hand really is limited to a 17" rim, IMO.

If money were no object, I would run a 245/45-17 on the front and a 275/40-18 in the rear. Both have about 4.3" of sidewall, and they match a C5 Vette for tire size. Makes them a size that should be readily available for a long time, and relatively cheap to boot.

I installed a xv motorsport radiator support without the extensions and it really firmed up the frame rails. in fact it became a lifting point since the K member was out. It fit great and was rock solid, I will be buying one for the 73 duster in currently working on.hope that helps...

-
Back