Proportion valve and Residual valve?

-

CudaDust

Under Construction
Reaction score
Have 74 Duster with disc on front already and upgrading to 11 3/4 front Disc's from Dr. Diff and have an 8.8 with the disc's on the rear.

Would it be wise to put Proportion valve and 2 lb. residual valves on the system sense it is disc/ disc?

Have read a lot on here where some need it and some do not. Is it a try it and see what you have and then go from there deal or is it better to get the stuff and have it on hand so do not run back and forth to the parts store or ebag and wait?

Also safety is my concern since I will have my kiddos ride with me.
Thanks!!!!

Will check back tonight going to work on car before it gets Hot!!

Idaho had a link in a thread about brakes and setting them up and I lost it. It had my answer in it I think. :banghead:

Call Cass...aka Dr Diff....he helped me a with a disc/disc problem...

DR Diff told me to use a metering valve...no proportioning valve

Thanks Guys!! Love the knowledge on here or where to get an answer. Called Cass (Dr. Diff) he said I need a drum brake system distribution block so I get full line pressure to the disc's front and rear. What you guys said on residual valve no go. Then see if it is where it works/I like it. If the back end is grabbing to much then install Adjustable valve and adjust as needed for the rear. Hope I got what he said right.

Thank You!!!

Inertia have enough experience to know I about ready to break something most of the time. LOL

Did he say which metering block to use? From what series or make.

I think this will depend on your individual situation, so far as metering / proportioning

My setup is 73/ 74 A body front disc conversion on my 67

Rear is a factory Versailles disk brake axle.

"I took a gamble" and simply tried the factory manual master. It works well. All I did was puncture the residual valves. I have no proportioning or metering of any kind. It just flat STOPS

Found one for A body's on Ebag a drum brake distribution block $59 bucks new. Did not see one on Dr. Diff web page maybe something he carries but does not list or my computer unsavyness could not find.
Do not want to worry about 40 yr old crud in a used one and brakes are something I do NOT want to mess up.
Thanks for all the help!!!

Also gets confusing when venders call same parts by different names. Wish they would call it what the factory did in service manuals would help a bunch.

First, install a drum brake distribution block (NO proportioning or metering) in place of your stock proportioning valve.

If your rear brakes lock up before the front brakes, add an adjustable prop valve in the rear line.

Dr. Diff,
Thanks for all your help! Purchased right one but posted wrong thing in #6 fixed it. Again Thanks for all your Help!

I run the proportion valve under the dash by the release for the e brake.. set it up on a wet smooth road it will allow you to shut off the rear brakes I mark the ideal seting with white out... the ssbc valve has a black knob more factory look and the willwood would fit a restomod theme I dont mess with limiter just a distribution block with alight sensor

-
Back