PSA: Fire extinguisher

-

HankRearden

Reaction score
Here is how I started my day.
Luckily I had fire extinguishers in about 5-10 minutes.

The little ones they sell at Walmart or the parts store were woefully insufficient though. It took three and a few random bottles of water that were laying in the truck to get it out.

This is the only vehicle I own that didn't have an extinguisher in it.

Do yourself a favor and put a big extinguisher in your vehicles. Two good samaritans were unable to help as they didn't have an extinguisher either.

20231122_073720.jpg

20231122_072429.jpg

20231122_072426.jpg

20231122_073727.jpg

20231122_073725.jpg

20231122_073723.jpg

Looks like a '78 Dodge pickup? Any idea on exactly what caused this? flooded carb, cracked fuel lines, etc. ...

That's not going to buff out! Sorry for the loss, I keep 4 large fire extinguishers around at all times. It was a lesson I had to learn the hard way when I set fire to my 68 Barracuda 340 4 speed car.

Looks like a '78 Dodge pickup? Any idea on exactly what caused this? flooded carb, cracked fuel lines, etc. ...
Im pondering that.
I'm guessing it was fuel. it was brand new efi hose at the carb. (I quit using regular hose decades ago)

When I opened the hood the fire was at the back of the intake and right under the three inches of rubber fuel hose.

My best guess is it was my stupidity.

I spilled some fuel and antifreeze on the air gap intake a week or so ago. It sat for that time and I expected the minuscule amount of fuel had evaporated. I forgot about it and cleaning out the intake.

I can tell you the air filter is uber flammable.
When the rest was out it kept reigniting.

This truck also has a lot of cobbled wiring from the previous owner. I've been fixing one circuit at a time as I have time.

Sorry to see/hear about this, but on the bright side- No one was hurt, and it looks like it's repairable.

I lost a complete car back in '83 or so due to an electrical fire, and I've carried a fully charged fire extinguisher in every vehicle I've owned ever since.

Sorry to see/hear about this, but on the bright side- No one was hurt, and it looks like it's repairable.

I lost a complete car back in '83 or so due to an electrical fire, and I've carried a fully charged fire extinguisher in every vehicle I've owned ever since.
Yeah
my wife was going to drive it today. Luckily I said I would because it needed gas.

Thanks for posting; great lesson here! Good thing you had some nearby.

About 6 months ago I took the plunge and bought some new fire extinguishers for the cars. Decided to go with Element extinguishers.

Element - Fire Extinguishers

I burned the hood on my mustang GT back in the early 90's. Backfire through the carb and I had the air cleaner off while doing some tuning. I got the fire out but the paint blistered on the hood. Extinguishers in all my old cars now. I have a 30lb ansul extinguisher for the garage and several small ones.

Yeah
my wife was going to drive it today. Luckily I said I would because it needed gas.
Maybe change Your avatar, & invite some better vibes,.... the Wife asked You help roast the TURKEY, not the turn-key....sorry....:)

Maybe change Your avatar, & invite some better vibes,.... the Wife asked You help roast the TURKEY, not the turn-key....sorry....:)
Lol.
I consider it good vibes that it was me not the wife or boy driving.
The truck is just more work. I'm used to work.

Thanks for posting; great lesson here! Good thing you had some nearby.

About 6 months ago I took the plunge and bought some new fire extinguishers for the cars. Decided to go with Element extinguishers.

Element - Fire Extinguishers

I got a couple of those too earlier this year. So much better than conventional extinguishers, not that I've had to use one yet but the many demo vides out there convinced me. SO much smaller and lighter too.

Just don’t let them roll around in the back seat, like my dumbass did, the seal broke, the pin fell out and I did not notice it, I put a box in the back and set off the ABC inside my truck, it was not fun cleaning that up…

Here is how I started my day.
Luckily I had fire extinguishers in about 5-10 minutes.

The little ones they sell at Walmart or the parts store were woefully insufficient though. It took three and a few random bottles of water that were laying in the truck to get it out.

This is the only vehicle I own that didn't have an extinguisher in it.

Do yourself a favor and put a big extinguisher in your vehicles. Two good samaritans were unable to help as they didn't have an extinguisher either.

View attachment 1716169397

View attachment 1716169398

View attachment 1716169399

View attachment 1716169400

View attachment 1716169401

View attachment 1716169402
I'm sorry for your misfortune and I'm glad it wasn't worse.

I've used enough ABC extinguishers in my career to know that they SUCK and are MESSY. Plus, a lot of people don't know that the agent inside can settle and "cake up" if you don't agitate the unit periodically.

Like mentioned before, I'm transitioning to the "Element" extinguishers for my vehicles. Only downside is they're pricy.

Remember to check the gauge on your extinguishers on occasion as well. I just noticed one of mine was flat lined this weekend! As mentioned before, occasionally "fluff" your extinguishers too!

Halon extinguishers cost out the ying yang now, but I wonder if they can be refilled if used? I looked in the FAQ's for the element extinguishers and it appears they are a one and done. @HankRearden very sorry for your troubles, but despite the mess, it looks recoverable.

Halon extinguishers cost out the ying yang now, but I wonder if they can be refilled if used? I looked in the FAQ's for the element extinguishers and it appears they are a one and done. @HankRearden very sorry for your troubles, but despite the mess, it looks recoverable.
Correct, the Element extinguishers are one and done. No ability to stop them even once your struck the top of it. However, from a size, weight and ’mess’ factor, it’s tough to beat them!

I always have a fire extinguisher in every vehicle.
I have yet to need it, but one time I came close in my 78 powerwagon, 750 holley, going down the interstate the float stuck.
I pedaled the truck to get where I was going, the truck died as I went in the bank parking lot.
No fire but I lifted the hood, the whole intake manifold on the outside was full of gas.
I just called a tow truck, I had the tools to fix the float, but one spark and it would have been real bad.

ABC=MESSY but they are effective, pressure/indicators should be checked, & they should be turned upside down and the base rapped on the sides w/a rubber mallet a handfull of times.
I know of half a dozen vehicles lost to accidental fires, and a couple severely damaged, I also know a person that was nearly burned to death in a wrecking yard incident. 3rd degree burns over 70% of His body, had to be put in a body suit to prevent infection & maintain body temperature, be prepared out there....You never know it's going to happen, 'til it has happened, that's the wrong time to figure out what You're going to do about it.

Well I checked it out today. It is worse than I thought. all the wiring is burn off the back of the fuse box. carb wont move. dash pad melted. i expected underhood wiring,heater box,blower motor,wiper motor,heater hoses,distributor.....I feel like Billy Mays "But wait there's more!!"

Last edited:
Most of the small extinguishers sold for autos and boats are good only for electrical and flammable liquid fires (& for just a few seconds). once solids start burning you’re really out gunned. A bit larger A,B,&C unit may be more appropriate to get control.
It’s tough to carry one around but this is a pretty convincing reason to get me to upgrade. Glad everyone is safe.

-
Back