PST 1.03 TORSION BARS

-

67 gt

A Wog boy who loves his Mopars !
Reaction score
Hello Mopar brethren I need some advise, I purchased a set of pst 1.03 bars from James on his ebay store and they arrived last week. I started fitting them up tonight and the drivers side went in with out any issues where as the passenger side fell in place just as the other side but wouldn't go in any further to fit up the clip.
I removed the bar and fitted my old one in to make sure it wasn't any thing up front causing any issues bar went in no problems so I measured the 2 bars and found the new bar to be 3mm longer in length. I sent James a msg tonight and will wait on his response to see where we go from here but can you take some material off the face side of it with out causing any structural damage to the bar as to sending this bar back for a replacement will cost a small fortune from Australia. Your Thoughts . Cheers
IMG_1638.JPG
IMG_1639.JPG
IMG_1622.JPG
IMG_1624.JPG

I just installed the same set of bars from PST in my 74 Duster last weekend. I didn't compare the measurement to the old bars, but the new bars slid right in with no issues. Are you confident there is nothing in the LCA hex socket that is not allowing them to slide all the way in? I did need to lightly tap on the back end of the bars to seat them properly. After installation my bars are definitely more than 3 mm past the clip so I don't think that minimal length difference should affect you anyway.

Cley

I agree with Cley on this one, same bars on a '69 Val, seated deep enough where 3mm wouldn't make a difference. Did you clean out the LCA socket? Might find a lot of caked crud on the bottom and fresh grease can't hurt anyway!

Yes you can grind one end,SLOWLY do not allow excessive heat build up and all will be good.

I just installed the same set of bars from PST in my 74 Duster last weekend. I didn't compare the measurement to the old bars, but the new bars slid right in with no issues. Are you confident there is nothing in the LCA hex socket that is not allowing them to slide all the way in? I did need to lightly tap on the back end of the bars to seat them properly. After installation my bars are definitely more than 3 mm past the clip so I don't think that minimal length difference should affect you anyway.

Cley
I did tap it from the rear and it has just bottom out . I checked the lower control arm socket and nothing seems to be stopping it . All clean with some grease in there . I will take another look tomorrow. It wouldn't have anything to do with the LCA pivot bolt as its loose and the Hex can be moved easy with some multi grips ?

But why is it when I flitted the old bar back in just to rule it out it fitted in ok ? I had room to insert clip !

3mm too long is the answer..Remember,nothing today has any quality, manufactures only care about quantity. We have been complaining about reproduction parts for years about fit and finish.

Hello Mopar brethren I need some advise, I purchased a set of pst 1.03 bars from James on his ebay store and they arrived last week. I started fitting them up tonight and the drivers side went in with out any issues where as the passenger side fell in place just as the other side but wouldn't go in any further to fit up the clip.
I removed the bar and fitted my old one in to make sure it wasn't any thing up front causing any issues bar went in no problems so I measured the 2 bars and found the new bar to be 3mm longer in length. I sent James a msg tonight and will wait on his response to see where we go from here but can you take some material off the face side of it with out causing any structural damage to the bar as to sending this bar back for a replacement will cost a small fortune from Australia. Your Thoughts . Cheers View attachment 1715046143 View attachment 1715046144 View attachment 1715046148 View attachment 1715046149

I have the PST 1.03's also and had to take a couple of mm off to get the clip in.
I'll also tell you that if you use, or are going to use poly bushing you might want to take off just a hair more than you need or the bar forces the end of the bushing onto the pivot pin to tight and it will squeak.
Had to take one back off and remove a little bit more.

3mm shouldn't make any difference at all. There's far more space than that between the bars and clips on most of my cars. The bar is hitting something else and not going all the way into the socket. Note that if you put too much grease into the socket that can keep it from bottoming out, you won't be able to compress the excess grease.

One of the bars on my '71 Dart, pardon my grease. It was just the easiest to get at as it's up in the air right now, but they're all like this. This is a Firm Feel bar, but the stock ones are the same way. This might not even be bottomed out all the way.
IMG_4108.JPG

What about the LCA itself? If it's crooked, possibly caused by a worn bushing, that might keep the bar from seating all the way. Or maybe it's located too far back? Idk, I'm just trying to spit ball things to look at.

I have the PST 1.03's also and had to take a couple of mm off to get the clip in.
I'll also tell you that if you use, or are going to use poly bushing you might want to take off just a hair more than you need or the bar forces the end of the bushing onto the pivot pin to tight and it will squeak.
All my bushings are
The front was done 5 years ago every things new all front and rear are all poly bushes ,new upper & lower ball joints , tie rod ends, rods, pitman arm, Idler arm, rotors, calipers redone with new seals & pistons even had my front hubs made to run LBP wheels and still use the Kelsey Hayes calipers. Front is tight steers well. what did you use to take some material off, lath, file, flapper sanding disc ?

I agree with Cley on this one, same bars on a '69 Val, seated deep enough where 3mm wouldn't make a difference. Did you clean out the LCA socket? Might find a lot of caked crud on the bottom and fresh grease can't hurt anyway!
Old bars came out pretty easy with out using any tool , I wiped them out pretty good and applied some grease at both ends but I will check again after I finish work. Thank you all for your replies much appreciated.

Last edited:
My bars were similar to Blu's. I had to pull them back some, and still had room.
Have you tried putting it in backwards? or even test fitting the other one?
My opinion is that those front sockets are very deep, more than deep enough, to accommodate 3mm.
I imagine grinding 3 mm off will take a really really long time,lol
If I had your problem and could not find the solution, I would drill a hole in the rear socket and insert a cotter pin in there, or a roll-pin, or a nail,lol. I have worked on several Mopes with missing clips; I wonder how important those clips really are. Even my own car lost a clip somewhere in time, before I caught it. I have no idea how many thousands of miles I might have driven without it.

Last edited:
My bars were similar to Blu's. I had to pull them back some, and still had room.
Have you tried putting it in backwards? or even test fitting the other one?
My opinion is that those front sockets are very deep, more than deep enough, to accommodate 3mm.
I imagine grinding 3 mm off will take a really really long time,lol
I did try puttig it in backwards and still the same but I will try swapping the left bar over to see if it makes any difference. Thanks

I did try puttig it in backwards and still the same but I will try swapping the left bar over to see if it makes any difference. Thanks

Are your bars clocked or zero clocked? If they aren't zero clocked, you can't switch them side to side. Ask me how I know LOL.

I have the same situation with my right side bar. I just had enough room to force the locking ring in. The drivers side was a piece of cake. I drove it for the first time today, love the way it rides and handles now. I have yet to make the final adjustment to the ride height, but it's very close. I want everything to settle in for a while. Everything is new on my front end and I'm wondering if the new LCA pin might be a little longer on the passenger side???

All my bushings are

The front was done 5 years ago every things new all front and rear are all poly bushes ,new upper & lower ball joints , tie rod ends, rods, pitman arm, Idler arm, rotors, calipers redone with new seals & pistons even had my front hubs made to run LBP wheels and still use the Kelsey Hayes calipers. Front is tight steers well. what did you use to take some material off, lath, file, flapper sanding disc ?

I used a 4" grinder, and theres no way you are going to grind on it so hard as to affect the temper of the bar.
On another note, PST quit making the zero clocked 1.03 Mopar bars some time back.

Are your bars clocked or zero clocked? If they aren't zero clocked, you can't switch them side to side. Ask me how I know LOL.
They are the 20 degrees offset ! What problems did you run into by swapping them ?

They are the 20 degrees offset ! What problems did you run into by swapping them ?

With the adjusters backed all the way out it was almost on the bumpstops LOL. Wayyyy up in the air.

-
Back